Super Regulator

that the noise figure of voltage reference gets worse with higher current.
I am no expert, by no means. If more experienced people say, that LM329 likes it more at 3mA than at 1,1mA, i will swap present 8,2k to 4,7k that i have at hand in no time.

More important question is, whether the CCS feeding the pass transistor and opamp is at all essential, i.e. can i swap a npn pass transistor for pnp type for positive rail, and sink the current from pnp`s base directly with op amp?

then, as long as i keep the current in LM329 above the regulation knee at 660uA, and below it`s maximal rating, it doesn`t really matter if i use the original 4,99 k, my 8,2k, or 4,7k at hand ?

does the impedance curve of the 100uF electrolytic capacitor around zener diode between opamp and pass transistor`s base impacts the regulator`s output impedance ? Wouldn`t it be worth it to try there some low impedance MLCC cap ?

Jan,
In response to your post #2382.
I triple checked all diodes orientation. Maybe resistor divider is not exact (I hope).
With 27Vdc on inputs I took the voltages on opamp (in reference to Ground) and the result is as follows:
pin 2 (-in): 9.95v
pin 3 (+in): 9.95v
pin 6 (out): 13.15v
pin 7 (+Vs): 24.79v

I am trying to get 24v out of the regulator. Do you see if there is an issue?
Thanks!

Make the most accurate measurement you can of the resistors that are used in the divider. Do not discard any digits. Take those most accurate measurements and calculate the divider ratio.

For example, if you measure your 1K resistor does it measure 1.04k or does it measure 1.003k? Is it a quality 1% resistor? Is it a 5% resistor? Are they Ebay resistors?

What about the 1.4k resistor? What does that measure?

What meter are you using? What is the resolution and the accuracy quoted in the manual for that meter?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Your circuit and values are fine. But they are nominal. The ref is not exactly 10V. The resistors are not exactly 1k and 1.4k. Measure them.

Also, in the original superreg there is something called remote sensing. Did you use the original board? If so, how did you connect the sense lines? What part values for the remote sense filter? For example, if you used 1k then that's it there and then.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes I'm sure you will. And I found that I forgot to mention in the writeup that the remote filter resistance, R16 in the pos reg, should be counted toward R6.
Because R16 is in series with R6, and at 100R, in your case, adds about 100mV to the output.
Thus my suggestion if you had 1k or 910R there, it would go to 24.8V.
The ref is a bit below 10V so that pulls it down a bit but only a few 100mV.

We are used to think that these circuits always go to exactly 24V but generally you can expect +/- a few 100mV and that would be inconsequential.
24.8 seems a bit high though.

Jan

Maakt mij niet de brutale :confused:

I have taken all the measurements as per the whole design and discussion yet it remains at 13vdc.

I have installed a trimpot in place of R6 to adjust it spot-on and no luck.

Tried 2K2 with 5K45 ratio and the 1K with 1K4 ratio and no luck. The Zener is a 12v unit and I have confirmed it.

On pin 2 I get 5.7 and on pin 3 I get 6.3vdc

Supply voltage is 36vdc
Load is a Pass XLmini filter board for 24vdc.

Question about LM4040 and resistance ranges R14 / 7

I have 2 questions about the Super Regulator.

Does it matter in which resistance range, the values for R14 / 7 and R13 / 6 or does that affect the function of the circuit.
E.g. for +/- 15V you could use 1K / 1.17K or 10K / 11.7k or 18k / 21.19k. There is an area that is desirable?

I wanted to order LM4040 from Mouser for other voltage ranges.
Can i take all of them? I've seen some whose VREF - Input Voltage - Max (e.g. 5V) = Output Voltage (e.g. 5V).
Shouldn't the VREF - Input Voltage - Max be higher?
LM4040AIZ-41-NOPB or LM4040AIZ-50-NOPB