Super Regulator

Hi,

I am confused about maximum output volume.
I read it was depend on max. Op Amp Voltage.
The OPA is connected to ground, so I have to calculate the voltage x2?
For example a AD825 is +-15V max.
Can this OPA run with 30V to ground max?
Minus 5V Headroom >> 25V Output?

Thanks
Daniel

Hi guys,

my name is Simon, I am 31 years old and living in vienna. I am reading here in this forum for a long time but actually never did a diy-project by my self. Maybe I will start with the super regulator. It should power my RME Adi-2 Dac. In stock it has a +12V 2A power supply. The manual says that it should be at least 1A. But I don`t need the negative voltage. Can I joint the outputs of the two regs so to say in parallel to get a higher current? I would use a transformator with separate secondaries and link i like this: PosVOut from positive board to +dc from dac and return to -dc from dac. NegVOut from negative board to -dc from dac and return to +dc from dac.

Greets,
Simon

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I mean just like in the attach.

Very interesting idea but it will not work I'm afraid. The two voltage will never be exactly the same. Even a few mV difference will cause large currents to flow from one supply to the other.

If the max is 1A, I would use just a pos SR, with the series pass device replaced by a Darlington transistor.
Also check the dissipation (1A x (input-output voltage difference) for heatsinking.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan, could you tell me what modifications I should make to get stabilized + -24v output.
I want to use the super regulator to power the BA-3 front end.
regards.

If you use the 6.9V reference as in the article, to set Vout to 24V you need to adjust the ratio of the two feedback resistors at the neg input. They should provide also 6.9V with 24V at the output.

The other thing is that the zener in series with the opamp output should be nominally 12V or thereabouts (anything between 5V and 20V will work, the idea is to keep the opamp in its working range).

Jan

Jan, is this modification correct for 24V output?

MOD FOR OUTPUT +- 24V
LM329 = VRef. 6.9V
24V – 6.9V = 17.1
17.1/6.9 = 2,478260869565217‬
R7 - R14 = 1K
R6 - 13 = 1K * *2,478260869565217 = 2K478
OR
R7 – R14 = 2k
R6 – R13 = 2K * *2,478260869565217 = 4k956

Attachments

• superreg.jpg
    superreg.jpg