Super Regulator

Stability, with time and temperature but I think in a normal audio application it is not very important especially if opamps are used... except for nerds which require x.000 V and ppm in stability. Personally I think it's cool when I get unexpected precision. I have soldered a regulator, completely untrimmed, with 4.999 V out measured with a calibrated voltmeter

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Agree. It is just a small deviation from the nominal 15V. Completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Also, the zener voltage for the zener in series with the opamp output is very uncritical. It is only there to make sure that the opamp output is somewhere around the middle of it's supply voltages, which here is gnd and Vout.

So for 24V, the zener on the opamp output can be anything between 5V and 18V, for instance. But if you are getting a 12V zener for the ref, that'll work also for the opamp.

Jan

In my case it's 15v for both zeners, because I want a 30v output.

In fact that made it practically impossible for me to use a pre-regulator, as Walt suggested, because of the 35v input voltage some regulators need. Only if I regulated the input into the regulator, which should be crazy.

I also had considered using a CRC or capacitance multiplier filter before the regulator, which also gobbled more volts, making things plain foolish.

As it is now I plan to use a simple RC filter before the standard (I call it simplistic) Jung-Didden reg. And that's all.