Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Super Regulator
Super Regulator
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2020, 10:28 PM   #2001
carlmart is offline carlmart  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
Please read my post. Do you understand what I am trying to say? Pencil in the voltages in the schematic. If you use a 6.9V ref, the bottom 1k resistor obviously has 6.9V across it. What is then the voltage across the top resistor?
The voltage across the top resistor has to be 30v minus 6.2v, 23.8v, which seems to get me a 3K9 value for the top resistor. That gets me 6.2v in +in and -in.
Old 30th June 2020, 07:10 AM   #2002
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
The voltage across the top resistor has to be 30v minus 6.2v, 23.8v,
Bingo! Almost. The ref diode is 6.9V, not 6.2V. So you get 23.1V across the top resistor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
23.8v, which seems to get me a 3K9 value for the top resistor.
How so?

Jan
Old 30th June 2020, 08:49 AM   #2003
laserscrape is online now laserscrape
diyAudio Member

Has a good lm329 alternative for 5V output been established?
Old 30th June 2020, 10:31 AM   #2004
diyAudio Member

In sot92 package The LT1009 has best noise performance after lm329 from what I found, but still over 2 times worse.. maybe im over obsessing on the noise figure?
It is a lot cheaper than lm329 which is nice.
Old 30th June 2020, 12:05 PM   #2005
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Donor
diyAudio Member

Super Regulator
Walt Jung invented the GLED431 for exactly this purpose: to create a shunt voltage reference circuit with the lowest possible noise. Although the diyAudio search is unable to find it (try the experiment if you don't believe me), Google succeeds

Mr. Jung's ultra-low noise VREF - the GLED431

Full and complete .pdf attached to post #56 of that thread

You will need to do some arithmetic to use it in a Super Regulator, since the low low LOW noise reference voltage it produces, is not equal to the reference voltage produced by an LM329. But DIYers are clever, crafty, and resourceful!

_

Last edited by Mark Johnson; 30th June 2020 at 12:08 PM.
Old 30th June 2020, 01:13 PM   #2006
diyAudio Member

Thanks, very glad I asked.
Old 2nd July 2020, 07:36 PM   #2007
WaltJ is offline WaltJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Default More on tweaking the GLED431 2.5v ref

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
Walt Jung invented the GLED431 for exactly this purpose: to create a shunt voltage reference circuit with the lowest possible noise. Although the diyAudio search is unable to find it (try the experiment if you don't believe me), Google succeeds

Mr. Jung's ultra-low noise VREF - the GLED431

Full and complete .pdf attached to post #56 of that thread

You will need to do some arithmetic to use it in a Super Regulator, since the low low LOW noise reference voltage it produces, is not equal to the reference voltage produced by an LM329. But DIYers are clever, crafty, and resourceful!

_
While I do appreciate Mark Johnsonís comments on the GLED431 circuit and the very low noise it can achieve, I could not find the writeup with the thermal shield addendum. But for sure it can be found on my website:

https://refsnregs.waltjung.org/GLED4...014_092418.pdf

The lowest noise will be found when the circuit is fed with ample source current, i.e., 8mA or perhaps more. This is to ensure that the PNP is really running with at least 4mA of current.

Since the original setup with the 3mm thruhole GLED, I have built versions with a Liteon SMD equivalent diode. They worked virtually identical to the leaded LED versions. Agonizing to fit to a pcb, but great once soldered in place.

Also, a ZTX550 works well as the amplifier, and is slightly cheaper vs. the 951. Both are Diodes Inc. parts.
Old 2nd July 2020, 07:49 PM   #2008
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Donor
diyAudio Member

Super Regulator
Here's the .pdf attachment from post #56 ... and if you look closely, you'll see that post #56 was written by Walt himself!

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...4_092418_r-pdf

This .pdf is two and a half pages long; when I zoom way out to get the whole thing on my screen, it looks like Figure 1 below. When I view only the final page, I see something that looks like Figure 2 below. I *think* this is the thermal addendum but I could be mistaken.

_
Attached Images
File Type: png 2p5_pages.png (125.5 KB, 120 views)
File Type: png final_page.png (175.7 KB, 117 views)
Old 9th July 2020, 11:38 AM   #2009
ApolloZhang is offline ApolloZhang  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimkasta View Post
Yeah pour choice of words... I meant parallel to each other... In series outputs makes more sense as a sentence

Isolated PSUs? I was thinking dual secondaries. So I just do not connect the raw supplies at the prefilters? Just run them in parallel and connect just the outputs of the regs to form the common 0V reference?
Perhaps one more hidden advantage: The NPNs have mostly higher early voltage than PNPs, which will increase the PSRR performance IMO

And yeah, two positive supply simplifies BOM as well.
Old 9th July 2020, 01:50 PM   #2010
carlmart is offline carlmart  Brazil
diyAudio Member

As long as transformers allow you to split the rails...

Super RegulatorHide this!Advertise here!