Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Super Regulator
Super Regulator
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2019, 08:01 PM   #1741
chris0202 is offline chris0202
diyAudio Member

Jan,

Thank you for the update! This clears a lot of confusion. I will look into the schematic again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
There's two resistor on top of each other, one end to Vout, the other end to gnd, the mid to -input opamp. Those are the ones that set the output voltage by 'multiplying up' the ref voltage at the +input of the opamp.

On the schematic in the diyaudio store, R7 (pos) and R14 (neg) are the 'bottom' ones that are connected to gnd, just as the reference. The 'top' is R7 (pos) and R13 (neg), these are connected to Vout.

Agreed?

Edit: 'bottom' I mean at gnd, not physically, sorry. I think in voltages ;-)

There is indeed a cap // R7, R13 to make the voltage division for AC equal to one, for better regulation.

Jan
Old 9th September 2019, 07:17 AM   #1742
diyAudio Member

Hi Jan,

Would you check writing in this link to see if there is any issue on calculating values of R13 and R14? This is hyperlink on diyaudio store product page of superreg.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/10...62409842112246

I have read through materials again. Based on your replies to others and me, bottom resistor must have the same voltage with Vref to power opamp (as bottom resistor has one end to gnd, and one end to neg input of opamp). But the document said the opposite. It seems this document had R13 and R14 flipped.

Thanks!

Quote:
There's two resistor on top of each other, one end to Vout, the other end to gnd, the mid to -input opamp. Those are the ones that set the output voltage by 'multiplying up' the ref voltage at the +input of the opamp.

On the schematic in the diyaudio store, R7 (pos) and R14 (neg) are the 'bottom' ones that are connected to gnd, just as the reference. The 'top' is R7 (pos) and R13 (neg), these are connected to Vout.

Agreed?

Edit: 'bottom' I mean at gnd, not physically, sorry. I think in voltages ;-)

There is indeed a cap // R7, R13 to make the voltage division for AC equal to one, for better regulation.

Jan

Last edited by chris0202; 9th September 2019 at 07:19 AM.
Old 9th September 2019, 09:56 AM   #1743
jan.didden is online now jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Very good catch, you are absolutely right. It's R7 and R14 that have the same voltage as the reference (6.9V with the LM329). The other two resistors (R6, R13) thus have Vout-Vref across them.

I'll get the write-up updated. Sorry for any confusion ...

Jan
Old 9th September 2019, 11:08 AM   #1744
diyAudio Member

Done. Courtesy Jason.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/10...omizing_r2.pdf

Jan
Old 9th September 2019, 08:09 PM   #1745
diyAudio Member

Jan,

Thanks! I feel this is why you got asked about this calculation a lot previously.

Quote:
Old 23rd September 2019, 12:16 AM   #1746
9johno9 is offline 9johno9  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Troubleshooting

I have built the superreg per the BOM for +/- 14V. I have a raw supply of +/- 29V. On the positive side, the LED lights, but my output is a little over 7V. On the negative side, no LED illumination and no output. Testing was without a load on the regulators. I have gone over the pcb and no shorts, wrong values, etc.
Is the input voltage too large?
Do I need a load resistor, and what value, to get regulation for testing?
Any other thoughts on troubleshooting?
Many thanks.
Old 23rd September 2019, 06:50 AM   #1747
diyAudio Member

A schematic with resistor values would be helpful.Then we can ask for specific measurements to diagnose & fix.

A quick one: did you connect the remote sensing points to the output points?

Jan
Old 23rd September 2019, 03:02 PM   #1748
diyAudio Member

Hi Jan,

I did not have the remote sense points connected to the outputs when making measurements.

I am using the diyaudio board v2.3 and stuffed with the BOM parts per your project update June 2015.
Old 23rd September 2019, 10:39 PM   #1749
diyAudio Member

I am reviewing posts #961-970 for some troubleshooting tips.
Old 23rd September 2019, 11:31 PM   #1750
diyAudio Member

With remote sensing connected to outputs and small load resistor (820R), all is well. Both LEDs illuminate and positive and negative outputs are 14.8V

Super RegulatorHide this!Advertise here!