Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Super Regulator
Super Regulator
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2019, 03:28 PM   #1641
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauc View Post
I found my mistake. I used 100nF instead of 100pF for C11 / C12. I removed it and there's no more oscillation. I tried some values to confirm and indeed big values make trouble...

Sorry for that. Thanks for your help.
Yes that will f*ck it up bigtime.

Well done to find it - it is the personal errors that are the hardest to find!

Jan
Old 24th May 2019, 05:57 PM   #1642
redjr is offline redjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Super Regulator
I recently completed the super regular board (v2.3b) using the standard BOM for +-15VDC output. I've been lurking here a bit reading posts. I'm running a 15VAC CT xformer into my rectification and filter board. I'm getting ~25VDC per rail going into the SR board.

On the output of the SR, I'm getting 25.2VDC on the positive rail and ~17.8VDC on the negative rail. 17.8 volts seems reasonable on the neg rail, but there doesn't seem to be anything being 'regulated' on the positive rail. No voltage on the sense lines on either rail. All measurements were made without a load.

I didn't skimp on the parts, as they were all new, sourced from Mouser here in the states. I've double-checked all the parts placement and values, and everything matches the schematic and PCB layout. I've re-flowed all solder joints as well.

I'm using the AD825 opamp, and have doubled-checked my soldering of the SMD on the 8-pin brown dog adapter. The pins all match. (Actually, this is my second set of AD825).

So, it would seem maybe a bad part, but not sure where to start looking. As with all my projects I buy extra parts, so I can do some replacing as necessary. Any ideas?
Old 24th May 2019, 08:16 PM   #1643
ApolloZhang is offline ApolloZhang  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post
On the output of the SR, I'm getting 25.2VDC on the positive rail and ~17.8VDC on the negative rail. 17.8 volts seems reasonable on the neg rail, but there doesn't seem to be anything being 'regulated' on the positive rail. No voltage on the sense lines on either rail. All measurements were made without a load.
Havent looked at the standard BOM, but IMO if the Vref you are using is LM329, then the 17.8Vdc will be strange as well - with all the <1% tolerances in components, the output voltage should be some where near 15V, eg. 15.0x 14.9x... Perhaps the pass transistor on the pos rail is ESD damaged, try substituing it with a to92 transistor and hook up a 10k resistor as load
Old 24th May 2019, 08:33 PM   #1644
diyAudio Member

First you need to decide whether you want to diagnose this in a logical way or go for haphazard parts distribution.

If you decide for diagnosing, measure the DC at the opamp inputs, and the output. If you post this here we will be able to see what's wrong and I will explain my reasoning.

Jan
Old 24th May 2019, 09:11 PM   #1645
diyAudio Member

And ohh yes, you DID connect both the sense and sense returns to the output and output return, of course ... ?

Jan
Old 25th May 2019, 04:26 AM   #1646
diyAudio Member

Super Regulator
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
And ohh yes, you DID connect both the sense and sense returns to the output and output return, of course ... ?

Jan
I'm in bed reading this on my tablet, so I'll check tomorrow. I want to diagnose this properly. And no, I forgot to connect the sense lines. Duh! Older age is a real bitch. At least that's my excuse.

Rick
Old 25th May 2019, 05:46 AM   #1647
diyAudio Member

The give-away was that you have 25V or so at the output, and zero at the sense. Very likely it will be OK when you connect them.

If not, measure those opamp inputs and outputs.

Jan
Old 25th May 2019, 01:49 PM   #1648
diyAudio Member

Super Regulator
Quote:
The give-away was that you have 25V or so at the output, and zero at the sense. Very likely it will be OK when you connect them.

If not, measure those opamp inputs and outputs.

Jan
That was it Jan. Once I connected the sense lines the voltages came down to 14.42 on both rails. Now to further raise the voltage to the desired 15v, I adjust the divider R6-R7 and R13-R14? Other thought?

Rick
Old 25th May 2019, 02:06 PM   #1649
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post
That was it Jan. Once I connected the sense lines the voltages came down to 14.42 on both rails. Now to further raise the voltage to the desired 15v, I adjust the divider R6-R7 and R13-R14? Other thought?

Rick
No I think you're good to go.

Jan
Old 25th May 2019, 03:37 PM   #1650
diyAudio Member

Super Regulator
Quote:
No I think you're good to go.

Jan
Okay. Thanks for your assistance.

Edit: Here's a pic of my finished board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010083.jpg (641.3 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by redjr; 25th May 2019 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Add image

Super RegulatorHide this!Advertise here!