Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Super Regulator
Super Regulator
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2019, 05:00 PM   #1631
jan.didden is online now jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauc View Post
I have stopped using transformer since I saw the issue. Now I check with a lab psu (or battery 2x9v ) one regulator at a time. I checked with an analog scope too. Allways the same oscillations.

I have 2 other superreg boards already populated (unfortunately with same parts). I just had to add the ref diode and the resistors to fix output voltage. I will test another one.

Thanks for your answers.
Can you do the measurements/questions I asked? Seems a pity to give up and build new ones, hoping they work different although they are the same ...

Jan
Old 17th May 2019, 05:50 PM   #1632
lauc is offline lauc  France
diyAudio Member

Super Regulator
Sorry I missed your last questions.

Quote:
On the screen shot you showed, it seems like negative pulses. Is that on the neg supply? How does it look on the pos supply?
What do you see at the opamp output pin?
Yes it was the negative reg , I attached a picture of the positive reg (same as negative but inversed) and the opamp output (8v pikes ...). Pictures are from a test with 19v input (lab psu ) and 100ma load.

I saw something weird from the gnd in and gnd out (and then opamp -Vs) . I don't understand how it can be not flat.

I don't give up with this board I just want to see if the other have same issue to fix this one.
Attached Images
File Type: png PosOut.png (20.1 KB, 194 views)
File Type: png OpampOut.png (26.7 KB, 158 views)
File Type: png weird GndIn-GndOut.png (17.0 KB, 149 views)
Old 17th May 2019, 05:55 PM   #1633
diyAudio Member

136mV between two ground points is weird. Can you measure the resistance between those points?

When you connected the sens connections to the Vout and Gnd connections, did you do that directly at the PCB connector or at the load?

Jan

Last edited by jan.didden; 17th May 2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 17th May 2019, 06:01 PM   #1634
diyAudio Member

Super Regulator
I dont have a mOhm meter but all my basic multimeters say something like 0.2 ohm.
Old 17th May 2019, 06:09 PM   #1635
diyAudio Member

Is it the same when you connect the meter leads together, measuring the lead resistance? Can you on this meter null the resistance when the leads are touching together?

Jan
Old 17th May 2019, 06:11 PM   #1636
highendman is offline highendman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Filter caps

Please forgive me if this has been covered. I didn't see it in my searches.

What do you like in terms of filter caps prior to the super regulator? Have you used a regulator prior to the super regulator? Have you done any listening tests with these configurations.

I've made two super regulators, in different applications - one in digital (positive only) and one for analog (both + and -). For the analog, I used a regulator prior to the super regulator. I didn't do any listening tests.

For the digital supply, I ended up with minimal filter caps. For this circuit, I listened to different configurations of the supply. I started with elaborate RLC filtering prior to the super regulator. Bypassing most of it sounded better to me, so that's where it ended up. (I felt it was more dynamic and free flowing without the extra filtering). I had assumed the digital circuit would benefit from the extra filtering and RF immunity.

Any experiences, recommendation?
Old 17th May 2019, 06:52 PM   #1637
diyAudio Member

Super Regulator
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
Is it the same when you connect the meter leads together, measuring the lead resistance? Can you on this meter null the resistance when the leads are touching together?

Jan
yes it's the same but I can't null the resistance. Actually I achieved 0.1 ohm by pressing harder.

but it's not my scope ! I can see the pikes growing from GndIn -> R2/-Vs (blue) -> GndOut (yellow)

Thanks you very much Jan. I'm affraid that I'm wasting your time, I will double check all this and I will come back.
Attached Images
File Type: png GowingPikes.png (33.9 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by lauc; 17th May 2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 17th May 2019, 07:14 PM   #1638
diyAudio Member

No worries, I am interested in this, naturally!

Let us know how it goes. Because it is on both regulators, it must be something systematic common to both. Right now I have no more ideas, but I will think about it.
Maybe one: if you shut of the neg regulator, remove the input, does the pos reg still have the oscillations?

Jan
Old 18th May 2019, 03:10 PM   #1639
diyAudio Member

Super Regulator
I found my mistake. I used 100nF instead of 100pF for C11 / C12. I removed it and there's no more oscillation. I tried some values to confirm and indeed big values make trouble...

Sorry for that. Thanks for your help.
Old 18th May 2019, 03:23 PM   #1640
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Super Regulator
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauc View Post
I found my mistake. I used 100nF instead of 100pF for C11 / C12. I removed it and there's no more oscillation. I tried some values to confirm and indeed big values make trouble...

Sorry for that. Thanks for your help.
Good idea to read Walt Jung's original 1995 articles in which he describes the perils of "capacitor rolling" -- the impedance of the SR is spectacularly low and requires the ESR of an aluminum electrolytic on the output. Local decoupling with ceramics near the final destination are OK as the resistance of PCB traces or wires raises the impedance.

The WJ articles are archived all over the web.

Super RegulatorHide this!Advertise here!