Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Super Regulator
Super Regulator
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2018, 10:31 AM   #1581
jan.didden is online now jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Good point P-A. A good way to figure this out is to put the circuit in LTspice and ramp the input from 0 to max and look at the various nodes.

Jan
Old 17th March 2018, 06:24 PM   #1582
hellokitty123 is offline hellokitty123  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
- You are not just talking to me. You are talking to members of this forum many of them do not know circuits as these by heart, but would be interested to follow this and/or offer insight. That's the nature of this forum. It's not a one-to-one affair.

- You may have made an error adapting a known circuit to your own use. This does happen, and we should always discuss the actual implementation that gives the problem.
Good point.
Quote:
My gut feeling is that you have not a full grip of what happens during start-up.
No certainly not. That's the big question.
Old 15th May 2018, 09:59 PM   #1583
arivel is offline arivel  Italy
diyAudio Member

Good morning to all and excuse my English.
I have some problems with the regulator and then I thought about asking here.
can you help me please? .
the questions are many, please be patient.

- I do not understand the following sentence:
"A word about the input voltage from your rectifier / reservoir caps: make sure it is at least 5V above the required output voltage."

- what does the following text mean? :
"And, do not put a high-quality film cap at the output of the regulator! 10 oF (and do not overdo it) at the end of the period.
Do I need to add a 10 μF capacitor between output and load?

- 0.25W resistors are often metallic film?

- between the diode rectifier bridge and inputs J1, J5 must I add a capacitor or are sufficient C2, C6?

- I need two positive and equal tensions for
feed the PCM1794 + 8V + 8V chip (can you do?) and two opposite voltages for the carlsor + 12V-12V buffer for DDDAC1794 and then I did the following calculations using the formulas from the Jan Didden web page.

x output + 12-12 volts:
R5, R12 = (12V - 6.9V = 5.1V) then 5.1V / 0.002mA = 2.55k ohms
D5, D10 = 6.9V LM329
D2, D7 = 6.2V
BZX79B6V2 R0G Taiwan Semiconductor | Mouser Italia
R13, R7 = 6.9V / 0.002mA = 3.45K ohms
V (R14, R6) 12V - 6.9V = 5.1V
R14, R6 = (5.1V / 6.9V) x 3.45K = 2.55K ohms

x output + 8 + 8 volts:
R5, R12 = (8V - 6.9V = 1.1V) then 1.1V / 0.002mA = 550 ohms
D5, D10 = 6.9V LM329
D2, D7 = 3.9V
BZX55C3V9 R0G Taiwan Semiconductor | Mouser Italia
R13, R7 = 6.9V / 0.002mA = 3.45K ohms
V (R14, R6) 8V - 6.9V = 1.1V
R14, R6 = (1,1V / 6,9V) x 3,45K = 550 ohms

I noticed from my calculations that R5, R12, R14, R6 are the same, but in the order table on the web page R14, R6 is twice the size of R5, R12.
Furthermore :
R13, R7 are greater than R14, R6 instead in the order table on the web page are the same.
Where did I go wrong ?

- I can not figure out how to make connections for remote sensing of J2, J6
Old 17th May 2018, 06:02 AM   #1584
peranders is offline peranders  Sweden
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Super Regulator
It's not suitable to have the LM329 as voltage reference for 8 volts out. The opamp inputs will be too near the supply voltage of it. You should have a voltage reference at 4-5 volts. LM431 will work good. I use it
Old 17th May 2018, 10:07 AM   #1585
jan.didden is online now jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arivel View Post
- I do not understand the following sentence:
"A word about the input voltage from your rectifier / reservoir caps: make sure it is at least 5V above the required output voltage."
I don't know how to make it more clear. You know what the rectifier output means? That is the input to the superreg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arivel View Post

Do I need to add a 10 μF capacitor between output and load?
It is a DC supply. Do you think there will be a DC current from regulator to load if there is a cap between regulator to load? ;-)
The output cap goes from output to ground and is clearly shown on the schematics.

For my superreg, all important issues are addressed in the writeup accessible from the diyaudio store super reg page.

I am sure P-A has a similar writeup.

Jan
Old 17th May 2018, 02:13 PM   #1586
peranders is offline peranders  Sweden
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Super Regulator
When it comes to minimum input voltage it is dependent of the LED colour. Red, yellow and green LED will generate 2.0-2.5 V drop out voltage and using a blue or white LED will add up to 2 V. The minimum voltage is with the ripple included so under no circumstances under 2.5 V but for having a marginal 5 V or more is recommended.

A good side effect is that the LED is on when you have a stable output voltage.
Old 2nd July 2018, 10:07 PM   #1587
Mikett is offline Mikett  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've had a couple Super Regulators using the Old Colony boards since 2000. They've been ultra reliable and I used the AD817s on them.
I've been pretty much away from the discussion of this reg since then.
I am wanting to build another one to power the op amp IV stage on my Sabre DAC.
I have a couple questions as I move forward on this.
Back in 2000, there was a mention of a bootstrapped 3 term reg for the input... this idea seems to have died off and rarely mentioned. I could not find a definitive reason why bootstrapping is not being used anymore. Where might I find any information on this?
Would using a preregulator like a normal 317/337 PS ahead of the SuperReg be of any benefit at all anymore? or is it better to just use a clean rectified and smoothed DC source?
Thanks all.
Mike
Old 2nd July 2018, 11:14 PM   #1588
IanAS is offline IanAS  England
diyAudio Member

I asked the same question some time ago and, IIRC, and maybe someone can confirm or correct if I've recalled wrong:

Inserting a 317, etc, before the super reg, in some ways, limits the performance of the super reg to that of the pre-reg. But it can, or does, somewhat improve the rejection of power supply ripple.
Old 2nd July 2018, 11:27 PM   #1589
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

Super Regulator
"Bootstrapping" is sometimes the name given to a cascade of two series voltage regulators, in which the reference voltage for the upstream regulator is derived from the output voltage of the downstream regulator.

I'm not enthusiastic about this connection, because it means the upstream regulator's reference voltage includes some portion of the output noise and ripple. The not-bootstrapped approach, in which the upstream regulator's reference voltage generator is connected to GROUND (rather than the output), must be quieter. So -- no bootstrapping for me.

Other circuit designers have other opinions, of course.
Old 13th November 2018, 12:22 AM   #1590
Mikett is offline Mikett  Canada
diyAudio Member

Anyone suggest an op amp for 3.3V output? Jan in his article indicates it can be used for such, but has anyone made one over the years ?

Super RegulatorHide this!Advertise here!