Go Back   Home > Forums > >

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Power Supply Soft Start Board (V3)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2020, 12:17 PM   #391
turion64 is offline turion64  United States
diyAudio Member

I used an OMRON G5LE-14-CF 24VDC relay instead.

Cheers,

Pete
Old 27th October 2020, 12:25 PM   #392
turion64 is offline turion64  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northox View Post
Hello guys, I built this circuit validated my wiring but the 5W resistors are becoming crazy hot . I made sure I have the right ones (5w wirewound 180R - white rectangle). I'm connected directly to SW2 so I removed C1. Other than this, it's all standard. The light comes on. The system works but it gets so hot I saw smoke coming out of those resistors.

Any idea what could be wrong?
Northox, Iím presuming youíre running 220VAC, correct? If the board is disconnected from anything past XFR1&2 do the resistors still get hot?

Pete
Old 27th October 2020, 02:05 PM   #393
northox is offline northox
diyAudio Member

No, 120VAC. They don't.

--
Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screw up.
Old 20th November 2020, 05:11 AM   #394
JMacII is offline JMacII  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi- quick question on the AC wiring...is there a ground connection and how best to use SW1/SW2 and Neutral? I’m running off standard US AC voltage.
Old 20th November 2020, 02:57 PM   #395
thomasnadeau is offline thomasnadeau  United States
diyAudio Member

S1 and S2 are connected together on the board. Trace the board to convince yourself.

There is no direct ground connection to the board; you connect the neutral and hot (fused hopefully) only. The earth ground from your AC inlet should be attached to your chassis. For more information about that, there is a really fantastic and detailed article that explains your options and things to consider:

Audio Component Grounding and Interconnection

--Tom
Old 20th November 2020, 03:14 PM   #396
JMacII is offline JMacII  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasnadeau View Post
S1 and S2 are connected together on the board. Trace the board to convince yourself.

There is no direct ground connection to the board; you connect the neutral and hot (fused hopefully) only. The earth ground from your AC inlet should be attached to your chassis. For more information about that, there is a really fantastic and detailed article that explains your options and things to consider:

Audio Component Grounding and Interconnection

--Tom
Thanks so much for the response and clarification. Glad I asked!
Old 21st November 2020, 10:32 PM   #397
bwater is offline bwater
diyAudio Member

Mark, in your very helpful post (#291) on the pros and cons of a soft start board vs thermistors you state that Nelson Pass recommends use of a power supply using thermistors. Do you (or does anyone else) know whether there's a reason for this related to the operation of an Aleph J (which I'm currently building)? I have built a DIY audio soft start which I'd like to use, but if thermistors really are better in this instance I'll use them.

A second question: I read in an earlier post that with 240AC (which is what we have here) it was found that a value of 220uF for C2 did not allow the relay to operate, and that 330uF worked. I currently have the 1uF cap specified in the BOM. Is this a potential problem?

Any help appreciated!
Old 22nd November 2020, 09:49 AM   #398
myleftear is offline myleftear  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwater View Post
if thermistors really are better in this instance I'll use them.

!

HereĎs my 2c (very nontechnical...)
Thermistors are the easiest by far. Disadvantage is that it eats up a little bit of current and gets awfully hot while the amp is running.
The softstart circuit is a circuit with many more parts, but I prefer itóthe circuit gets out of the way once it has accomplished its duty.
I am built my straight after the bom and buildguide, and in 230V world its clicking after a second or so...

Power Supply Soft Start Board (V3)Hide this!Advertise here!