Speaker Turn On Delay and DC Protector Board Set (V3)

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Is the BOM still in this state?

The current BOM asks for the -C suffix transistors, and I blindly ordered the mouser part number from it. So my transistors need to dance.

Hopefully the BOM can be updated with little fuss.

Erm...
I possibly went the exact same route, ordered "512-KSC945CGBU" according to the BOM. Are these the transistors in question?

Would be a bit a pity... (being 6 years after the issue was discovered)

Joined 2019
Paid Member
The only difference between the Fairchild NPN transistors (512-ksc945yta vs 512-ksc945cgbu) is slightly angled outside leads vs straight leads (1 &3) respectively. The ones you ordered (cgbu) will just have to have 1&3 leads slightly spread out. When I built mine the BOM version 3.0.2 was available and gave the 512-ksc945yta part #. So, yours will work with a little "adjustment".

Cheers, Pete

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Hi Ripcord,

I know I am late to this conversation but I was wondering if you still have any upc1237 speaker protection pcbs available, may I please buy them from you ?

Thanks

What’s funny is the upc1237 chip is hard to find now. I had to get it through eBay I think..just checked.. I used a NTE7100 chip instead

Pete

Last edited:
Has anyone built Jan Didden's protector system for the pax amplifier ?

I would like to use its parts which only perform speaker DC protector and instead of the amplimo relay, I would like to use Rod Elliott's Mosfet relays.

If I keep the supply voltage at 44 volts (as in his design), I presume I would be able to keep pretty much all the existing R & C values without having to make drastic changes.

I also intend to monitor BOTH channels on the board.

What I am not sure is, how to terminate the ends which go to the other modules, namely ProtN & ProtP. Should these be just left open circuit and OL pin on uc1237 simply grounded ?

Thanks

Hi Ripcord, regarding your upc1237 speaker protector

Just to throw this out there, I use a protection board I found at DiyFan.com. It's based around the uPC1237 IC. It seems to work pretty well. Attached are the schematic and hook-up files and a picture of the one I just built. I have a few extra boards if you want one. Let me know.

Hi Ripcord,

Should C1 not be a bipolar capacitor ? Also, when a fault occurs, it will have the full Vcc DC voltage across it. So, should it not be rated at around 2 x Vcc + some tolerance ?

With the existing values, does it have any danger of tripping at or above a 20 Hz normal signal ?

Thanks

PS: Do you know if the PCB for this is sold anywhere ? I intend to use Rod Elliott's P198 mosfet relays with this board instead of the mechanical relays.

The bom needs to be fixed

Damn transistors KSC945 has two pinouts I saw that highlighted back in the build in the first two pages I ordered the darn transistors which I thought were correct per the bom and it hasn’t been changed to reflect the proper ksc 945 without the “C”. That caused a lot of hassle now I need to remove them and see if I can order the correct ones ! Please correct the bom please it is a shame that I can build all the other store products without issue but this simple circuit is causing all people trouble because of poor documentation!:mad:

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I haven't looked at this before, but there is an updated bom in the first post which has a different transistor but it has the same pin order. It looks like maybe the pins are bent slightly differently but otherwise they are the same transistors as far as I can tell.just one has flared legs and one has straight legs. This should be fixable with some simple bending of the leads to suit. Which version of the bom did you use?

Tony.

Thanks

I used the bom with 3.0 but failed to look closely at the transistors lettering beyond the kcs945, my mistake for sure ,but why would we keep that first tab on the excel page without a note pointing it out as an potential problem. In any event I have extra transistors that will allow me to bend the legs to fit , the ones in place will be to short I also have some 2222 I could try! Just a little frustrating. Lesson learned from this point forward don’t assume! your looking at the correct information , I am starting the Honey Badger build , and I will go back and relook at the 3 bom s posted and double check things first. There has to be a way to remove some of the confusion on these large posts and update the build guide at the store to give us novice builders a little bit more confidence in the information we’re working from! Just my 2 cents! I have built 3 Wammys no issues, Wayne’s line stage no issue 3 chip amps no issues countless guitar pedals using vero and have been able to work with the bom without to many component miss steps, Good clear docs make a difference! Thanks for listening you folks are great learning a lot here!

q about diyfan.com speaker protection board

Just to throw this out there, I use a protection board I found at DiyFan.com. It's based around the uPC1237 IC. It seems to work pretty well. Attached are the schematic and hook-up files and a picture of the one I just built. I have a few extra boards if you want one. Let me know.

I see many variations of C1 in these circuits. What should happen is that the circuit should not trip at even hi values of speaker voltage (50 - 70 volts rms ac) AND it should also not false trigger on frequencies at and above about 18 Hz so that strong base output does not trip the circuit.

To this end, what value should that capacitor be ?

Also, to increase the start up time (thump avoidance) to about 10 seconds, should R7 be increased to about 250k ?

Thanks

Can the upc1237 be driven by 50V AC & 70V DC ?
According to the formulas, for the above voltages, R AC should be 32k and R supply should be at 19k.

Has anyone actually ever used those values ?

I already have this available on the power supply and did not want to get another transformer.

Thanks