Speaker Turn On Delay and DC Protector Board Set (V3)

ResisterClone
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Look here

Attachments

• IMG_3791.png
    IMG_3791.png
    237.8 KB · Views: 29
Monk55 (et. al.):

Yes, I saw that on the pcb but don't understand what it means. I'm looking for actual guidance on how to take the appropriate measurements.

Regards,
Scott
since R15 and optos are in series, the current remains same thro all of them. so just measure voltage across R15. since it comes with 12VDC regulator, so 470 would be fine.
Power P= I2 x R

Hi Gary,
The original diya protect scheme works in reality very well. I and many others have built it and implemented in their projects.

Now coming to post # 712, The detection schematic is based entirely on diya sch. Only the relays are replaced with SSR types with the opto.
It was simulated by Mooly and sim works as intended.
I have not built it myself and also not aware of any builds by others.
Hope this helps.

Regards
Prasi

Joined 2022
Paid Member
These questions relate to wiring up the V3 speaker protection board. I'm sure the answer is obvious to many, but as someone fairly new to this hobby, AC power still confuses me at times. I perused the current thread as well as the V2 thread but couldn't find a concrete explanation.

I have a dedicated antek transformer with dual secondaries for powering the V3 board. Because my mains voltage is 110 vac I have wired the primaries in parallel. I have also wired the secondaries in parallel.

The toroid is an Antek AN-0107 with 7 volts of output. The V3 has 5 volt coils installed.
1. Does my transformer have sufficient voltage for this application?
2. If I connect U1.1 to the PSU ground and one secondary of the Antek to U1.2; what do I do with the unused secondary of the Antek output?
Thanks in advance to anyone who has time to respond.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
1. Does my transformer have sufficient voltage for this application?

You need to measure the actual secondary voltage because at light loading it may well be higher. 7 volts AC will not really give enough rectified DC to operate the board and relays correctly. It would typically only generate around 9 volts DC.

So measure your actual secondary voltage to see what you are dealing with. Small transformers have very poor regulation and that works in your favour because lightly loaded the voltage could 10% or more higher.

Replacing the diode in the power supply with a low drop Schottky can also gain you a few hundred millivolts more... it all adds up.

2. If I connect U1.1 to the PSU ground and one secondary of the Antek to U1.2; what do I do with the unused secondary of the Antek output?
If you have the secondaries in parallel then I am not following the 'unused secondary' part :)

Joined 2022
Paid Member
Hi Mooly,
Thanks a bunch for your quick reply. I tested the outputs of the transformer earlier and was getting about 8.4 vac unloaded. I have no problem purchasing a transformer if necessary, I want to make sure I do this properly.
As far as the secondaries, there are two blue leads and two green leads. I have paired the blues and paired the greens. If I run the two blue leads to U1.2 what do I do with the two green leads? (My question was vague, sorry). U1.1 gets connected to PSU ground correct?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
8.4 volts could be workable. If you use a Schottky rectifier you can expect around 11 volt DC as the main supply rail. That should work.

The circuit details I have show the X1-1 and X1-2 as the transformer input. It does not matter which way around you connect the transformer so lets say green to X1-1 and blue to X1-2. Doing that will power the board and the board and its power supply is now 'self contained' but at this point 'floating' and not referenced to the main amplifier.

Gnd which is X1-2 in the diagram connects to the main amplifier power supply ground. Doing that 'references' all voltages on the delay board to the main amp.

Screenshot 2024-03-19 182745.png

Started populating soft and speaker protection board. Have some questions

Soft Start Board - I am building monoblocks so have 2 boards and 2 transformers. Now in addition I have 24VAC Antec small transformers for the speaker protection. So can I connect a 500VA transformer and this little 24VAC transformer in parallel to the soft start board? Since the second transformer is low VA and used for speaker protection can I just wire it directly to the same fused mains?

Speaker protection - I have two boards but looking to use only one side as its mono block. Should I just populate everything and use only one channel? Or can I omit few parts?

Thanks in advance.

I am perplex over the connections from the AC mains to the DC protection board V3.0 (Toecutter layout). I am using the board with FirstWatt Clones (F5, F6 and Aleph J) with 5 VDC Omron G5LE-24 relays and a separate transformer to power this board. Many hours of searching this thread have failed to provide guidance I am able to understand. I am trying to make this as simple as possible

I know that I need a transformer that will provide 10V (2x5V relays) and between 0.23mA and 10A (the current rating of the relays. The Antek AN-0112 has a voltage output of a little over 11 V
https://www.antekinc.com/content/AN-01XX.pdf The dual primaries are black and red and the dual secondaries are green and blue
Questions:
1. Can I connect the DC board transformer mains input primaries to the same barrier strip that connects the transformer powering the amplifier power supply?
2. In connecting the secondaries to the DC board, would I attach only one blue-green output pair to the board or connect the leads in series (the respective green and blue leads together and attaching one each green and blue lead to the DC protection board)?
3. The connections to +V and G on the board confuses me. Do I connect the one green lead to the +V position and the blue to the G position? So there is no ground? Or does one only connect the green lead to the board at +V and the ground the common chassis ground, and what does one do with the free blue lead?
Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Joined 2022
Paid Member
Hi Bowlrider,
I recently went through this very scenario. Because my mains voltage is 110 ac, I paired the red primaries and the black primaries.
I also paired the two blue secondaries and paired the two green secondaries. I attached the two blue secondaries  and a ground wire to the ground terminal of the board. The two green terminals I attached to the v+ input. I don't know if this is correct but that is how I understood post #732 and the unit does work. This is in spite of the fact that I used an Antek AN-0107 7volt transformer with 5 volt coils on the board.(undersized transformer). I have had no issues with this arrangement so far. Hope this is helpful.
Dave M.

Reactions: 1 user
Quick question folks:

I'm still very new to all this, and have been trying to look up suitable parts and substitutions for the BOM of this board.

My understanding is that you can use 5VDC or 12VDC relays, necessitating a 12VAC or 24VAC supply respectively.

I haven't been able to track down any like-for-like 12VDC relays to sub for the now very obsolete G5LA-14-CF-DC12 in the BOM, but I have found what seems to be a suitable 5VDC relay replacement for the (also obsolete) G5LA-14-CF-DC5 in the G5LE-14-DC5. The external dimensions are a tad bigger, but it looks as though it should fit.

My question (assuming the above understandings are correct), is what size of 12VAC transformer I need for the 5VDC relays I mention above? The specs say the current draw of the relay is a bit over 400mw, which, I guess is 80mA at 5V? Does that mean maximum current to work the board is as low as 160mA plus a bit of wiggle room? If so, is even this tiny Triad toroid sufficient (bearing in mind I'm in 230VAC land and will wire it in series for 1A)?

https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Triad-Magnetics/VPT24-1040?qs=wkKrz7WmEgOc/ULRWGnoTw==

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The relay coils are in series and so two 5 volt coils are the equivalent of a single 10 volt one (needs a 10 to 12 volt supply rail) and the two 12 volt coils need a 24 volt DC supply rail.

A 9 volt transformer will give around 13 volts as a DC rail and is suitable for the 5 volt relays and an 18 volt transformer will give around 26 volts DC as a rail. A 12 volt transformer will generate around 17 volts DC (a bit more with no load) and is to high for 5 volt coils.

Remember the rectified DC is approx 1.4 times the AC value.

If you measure (or look up) the resistance of the coils you can work out the current using ohms law and the actual applied voltage across the coil.

If you still want to try your 12 volt transformer with 5 volt coils then nothing bad will happen immediately, you have time to take some measurements. You can try adding a series resistor to the rectifier diode. That will still give a higher DC rail when the coils are off (which is OK) and that rail will fall as the coils energise. Set the value to give about 10 to 12 volts rail when the relays are on. Resistor values would be in the 10 to 27 ohm range at a guess (1 Watt)