Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Speaker Turn On Delay and DC Protector Board Set (V3)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2018, 09:03 PM   #341
Hicoco is offline Hicoco  France
diyAudio Member

Just a quick note
i have a double full bridge rectifier for the power supply of my Amp after the 25-0-25 volt transformer, so i am connected on 0-25v before one of the bridges for the DC protection board
Old 28th December 2018, 05:42 PM   #342
avinunca is offline avinunca  Europe
diyAudio Member

Have just assembled and carefully checked my DC protection board I was surprised to find C6 was overheating. I had installed it with the neg side inserted into the square pad side.
Turns out this side is positive! After removing the cap I measured the voltage on the pads. I checked my board against the image posted just above (Astromo). Has anyone else discovered this?
Old 28th December 2018, 06:53 PM   #343
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinunca View Post
Have just assembled and carefully checked my DC protection board I was surprised to find C6 was overheating. I had installed it with the neg side inserted into the square pad side.
Turns out this side is positive! After removing the cap I measured the voltage on the pads. I checked my board against the image posted just above (Astromo). Has anyone else discovered this?
Having sorted that out with the relays operating normally, I find the pcb
is laid out to use the relay's bottom right contact - must be NC (viewing bottom of relay with coil connections on the lhs). My relay, Omron G5LE-1A4 has no contact in that position having just three in total.
Old 28th December 2018, 07:01 PM   #344
jhofland is offline jhofland  United States
diyAudio Member

Rod Elliott's writeup describing his P33 project offers some good information regarding the use of relays for speaker protection. One point, in particular, is using the NC relay contact to short the speaker to common (ground) when a fault occurs.
Old 28th December 2018, 07:31 PM   #345
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhofland View Post
Rod Elliott's writeup describing his P33 project offers some good information regarding the use of relays for speaker protection. One point, in particular, is using the NC relay contact to short the speaker to common (ground) when a fault occurs.
Thanks for that. Problem is I am 99% done. Just having a problem finding a relay which has the NO contact on bottom rhs (with relay bottom up).
It is this position which tracks through to the SPK1 and SPK2 terminals.

Update - I realise my error. I imagined it would be easier to troubleshoot if I populated the board on the opposite side to the component labelling so I could still read all of it. I figured it wouldn't matter but I see now that the relays are the only components that must be soldered to the same side as the labelling. You live and learn!

Last edited by avinunca; 28th December 2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 16th January 2019, 12:42 AM   #346
batty is offline batty  Australia
diyAudio Member

I am putting mine into an M2X, where can I tap off 24v AC from the PSU? or am I better using a separate transformer. Would 20VA be enough?
Old 16th January 2019, 10:11 AM   #347
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batty View Post
I am putting mine into an M2X, where can I tap off 24v AC from the PSU? or am I better using a separate transformer. Would 20VA be enough?
This question has been asked previously.
I found this response. Quote - a trafo of 10-15VA was recommended

There's only one place to tap ac voltage from the psu - off the transformer before rectification. However, I have 18vac transformers on my psu (dual mono)

For my speaker protection board I used Mouser part 553-VPL24-400. It's a 10VA 12/24vac transformer.
Old 16th January 2019, 10:53 PM   #348
diyAudio Member

Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 08:47 PM   #349
diyAudio Member

Small transformer purchased.

Speaker Turn On Delay and DC Protector Board Set (V3)Hide this!Advertise here!