JFETs from Linear Systems

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
We only had 25 sets come in and they sold out within 24 hours, sorry.

We do have restrictions in place to ensure as many DIYers can get a chance to build their amps, and we've turned down a lot of people asking for larger quantities for both the PP and NP pairs to be fair to everyone.

Unfortunately it looks like we aren't going to have new stocks of the PP pairs for quite some time, but I've heard from as reliable a source as there is, that things are looking good for the future in terms of supply. It will be a few months yet, however.

I know we've heard this a lot before but I have good reason to believe this time it there is a much higher chance of fruition.

We only had 25 sets come in and they sold out within 24 hours, sorry.

We do have restrictions in place to ensure as many DIYers can get a chance to build their amps, and we've turned down a lot of people asking for larger quantities for both the PP and NP pairs to be fair to everyone.

Unfortunately it looks like we aren't going to have new stocks of the PP pairs for quite some time, but I've heard from as reliable a source as there is, that things are looking good for the future in terms of supply. It will be a few months yet, however.

I know we've heard this a lot before but I have good reason to believe this time it there is a much higher chance of fruition.

That's cool ... the bikkie crumbles in all sorts of ways.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Why so few? Can't the store buy 1000 pieces of each?

Please see: JFETs from Linear Systems

Unfortunately they are almost permanently out of stock of the B grades, in particular the LSJ74.

The number of matches we get (yield) is also a factor. We've only had limited numbers available to us, so we only end up with a certain percentage of actual matches.

As mentioned, there is light at the end of the tunnel, but how far it is is hard to say.

Last edited:
So six years later Linear Systems still hasn't figured out how to make a 25 cent part that Toshiba was making for decades?

Ouch ! :fight: ... not knowing what the hints actually mean in terms of what's round corner, sounds like market forces (to whatever degree) are partly involved. Take a look back at some of Jason's previous posts for the detail that he's prepared / able to reveal. The message has been consistent, even if it's unpalatable.

Last edited:
Thanks Jason! Its amazing a company can offer a product with such small quantities. Statistically speaking if you get enough parts, you should have lots of matches as the grade is only so wide. I am guessing that while they can produce them, minimum orders are high, and piggybacking on large orders is discouraged from a logistical standpoint, it may just be to difficult to manage.

People outside the industry has no idea how much it costs to optimise any semiconductor processes.
They probably also do not know how much resources a company like Toshiba has, who earns their money not with analog stuff, but with memory chips.

It has never been a surprise to me that Linear System cannot match Toshiba.
Even Onsemi can't so why should they.
All the low noise JFETs from Onsemi came from Sanyo Semicon that they bought years ago.
So it is not really their own development.

Which is why we stick with Toshiba only, even though now only with limited availability in SMD.

In due course, we shall publish data showing why the matching yield is so low.
And that is based on 1500 pairs of Toshiba 2SK170/2SJ74's.
You can then work out that the current asking prices elsewhere are actually very reasonable.

But later. ;)

Cheers,
Patrick

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Linear Systems has done a lot for the DIY community, are regular sponsors of Burning Amp, and are indeed (trying to) produce these quirky non-SMD parts for us builders for which the demand is low but passion is high. They know how much we're after this one particular specification. I guess time will tell.

We did get 150 NP matched pairs and about half have sold now, even with our do-the-right-thing restrictions on purchasing quantity to help as many DIYers actually build their amps as possible. I purposely didn't send any mailing list emails out, just the people who clicked "Email me when available" have been notified at this time, so hopefully those who need them the most will get them first-come-first-served.

Thanks Jason! Its amazing a company can offer a product with such small quantities. Statistically speaking if you get enough parts, you should have lots of matches as the grade is only so wide. I am guessing that while they can produce them, minimum orders are high, and piggybacking on large orders is discouraged from a logistical standpoint, it may just be to difficult to manage.

It's not a minimum order issue, just that yields on each fab round have been very low so they can't meet the demand.

In regards to matching, it's easy to assume there is an even statistical dispersion of values but the reality is more like the N and P being independent bell curves and you can only match where they overlap.

Of course. The distribution will not be uniform across the range, but will have a standard bell shaped distribution. And those bells are unlikely to match.

I was unaware that yields could be that low.
Thanks for explaining.

You mention a through hole vs SMT issue. Is there a 74/170 SMT version?