V3 Universal Power Supply Circuit Board

I read through this article on the TNT site and I think it explained a lot.
I'm assuming with a linear unregulated supply the output voltage would change as the input voltage changes, right? When using a linear unregulated PSU in an amp I guess we need to assume that the input voltage will be constant. Is that right?

....me on a quest to actually understand the designs I build ... :)

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
If making a (pair of) single rail supply merely separate the PCB in the middle and treat like two separate PSUs.

Watch your grounds and apply a little logic, as the markings on the PCB are assuming that you'll use it as a bipolar supply.

Thanks for the reply 6l6 when you say to use logic i assume that would be with regard to the dc output to the f1 boards .Iam some what confused as the f1 amplifier uses a single rail in truth the reason a im considering this board is the one i have works well but the size is small thus the capacitors are limited to small size .would like to fit larger say about 33000uk at 35vdc as opposed to the 15000 at 245vdc i have at the moment.Whilst i appreciate that it si for me to learn and be safe a few pointers would be really helpful.Regards Spades

Joined 2007
Paid Member
SOMEONE PLEASE VERIFY THIS!!!

@spades
I think what your question boils down to is "can you use the negative side of the PSU board for a positive supply"...correct?

If so, I believe the answer is yes...going by the schematic below I would connect V+2 to D-2 and V-2 to D+2. You MUST turn capacitors C1, C2, C5, C6 around (if you don't they will explode!!!!). LED3 would need to be turned around as well. Do not install R11 and R12 or C17 and C18. GND-3 would now be your negative connection, and V- would now be your positive connection.

You would not need to separate the boards, as there is no electrical connection between the two.

My question to others is should the ground on the two separate boards be connected at ST_G1 and ST_G2?

If I had a spare PSU board I would try this myself to make sure, but I don't. Please don't try this unless you can start it up with a variac at very low voltage to test.

View attachment P-PSU-1V30-schematic.pdf

SOMEONE PLEASE VERIFY THIS!!! before I encourage someone to build a missile launcher!!!

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thanks for the reply 6l6 when you say to use logic i assume that would be with regard to the dc output to the f1 boards .Iam some what confused as the f1 amplifier uses a single rail in truth the reason a im considering this board is the one i have works well but the size is small thus the capacitors are limited to small size .would like to fit larger say about 33000uk at 35vdc as opposed to the 15000 at 245vdc i have at the moment.Whilst i appreciate that it si for me to learn and be safe a few pointers would be really helpful.Regards Spades

So you don't know why the F1 has a single rail PSU, but you are wanting to change the values of some of the components in the PSU?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Can you describe better the parts and such that you already have and how you are intending to use them? I'm just trying to get a feel for what you've already got and what you are planning.

Hi, I'm new to this thread. I'm planning to build a linear unregulated PS for an amp based on Connex electronic Cxd400 class d modules. Someone suggested me to use a 45 0 45 trafo (is this a center tapped one?) These modules accept symmetric PS, so do these PS output symmetric voltage? I've seen that thw pcb is divided in two identical parts which have their inputs and their outputs. Given that the two identical outputs can be used to feed the two modules, how has trafo to be connected to both pcbs? So these are the first of a serie of questions which I will do if I start to build this PS. I hope you will help me in doing this!
Thanks in advance,
Gaetano.

Hi and sorry if this is the wrong place to post this......Does anybody have any values for the input snubber components for use with a Antek AS 4220 transformer? I have read the attached article but I am clearly math deficient so couldn't make much sense of that. As the transformer choices for building an F5 are limited, I am hopeful that someone more competent than me has done these calculations?

The various guides alternate between using the diode beige board and monolithic bridges but I know I arnot the first person to ask this question in the last 9 years. I may have worked most of it out but just wanted to check. I expected the board markings would make it clear but not so much

I understand the mains in via a connector block with line cap and thermistors to the transformer primaries

Its not clear how the trans secondaries connect to the diode bridge...there are several possible places....IN1, AC1A, AC1B, AC2A, AC2B, IN4 and four wires coming from the secondaries. I have checked with wires so that I know which are continuous in the transformer

The other end above the capacitors is easier to work out

V+,++ and +++ presumably go ( via one lead ) to V+ on one of the amp boards, as does the appropriate GND, same for V - etc and Gnd to the other board. One GND goes via a thermistor to chassis GND which is also connected to Earth on the IEC socket.

Maybe the uncertainty is only with the Diode board, transformer connection, but some guidance on the best way to implement a star GND wouldn't go amiss

best wishes ( and there are no stupid questions, right?)

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
There are no stupid questions. :)

This photo may be the most direct answer -

IMG_0443.jpg

As for star ground, start by putting all the grounds into the same connector bank on the PSU.

Last edited:
Excellent....that does answer the question....on the 100 monkeys writing Shakespeare principle I could have worked that out by plugging the four wires into all available points ( or understanding the circuit diagram ) but this involves less risk and smoke...is that a soft start board I see before me?

many thanks