Go Back   Home > Forums > >

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

V3 Universal Power Supply Circuit Board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2021, 04:33 PM   #431
verticalmammal is offline verticalmammal  United States
diyAudio Member

Howdy!

I have my boards and transformers ordered, and I'm getting ready to order components to stuff the board with. I'm very new to this and have been learning a ton as I put this all together, so I'm hoping for a quick sanity check before I put more money down.

I'm building an F5T v2 with cascodes. I'm intending to build it dual mono. To that end I've ordered two Antek AN-6224 transformers (600VA 24V 12A + 24V 12A). I've also ordered two sets of UPS v3 boards and one Soft Start board.

For the filter boards, I'm looking at 15kuF caps. The ones I've selected are Nichicon 35mm caps, snap in with 10mm lead spacing, rated to 105C and claiming decent ripple capabilities. For the caps I'd like to stuff all 7 positions on each rail with >=4W 0.47ohm resistors but I haven't selected a specific part yet.

If I'm understanding how to use PSUD2 properly, it looks like I'll get a fairly clean 32V out of each UPS rail, taking around 25s to get there. Although when I zoom in on a slice of the load voltage it does seem to still ripple 0.32V peak to peak. Not sure if that is normal/good or if I'm using the software wrong or something. Getting 32 out makes me feel like I must be doing something right.

There seem to be a lot of package choices for the diodes. Is there a preference? In researching the part number in the BOM it seemed like there weren't a ton of heatsink options for that specific package, but it's probably more flexible than I'm thinking.

I don't think I'm going to build the protection board that comes with the Soft Start board, but if it's recommended I'm open to reconsider. On a similar note I don't see anybody populating the snubber components on the UPS diode boards, are those typically omitted? Or maybe people are using them and I'm just blind? It seems like most people just populate the diodes to build the rectifier and don't put anything else in those boards, which seems fine to me.

What do you think? Looks good?

Thanks for your time!
Old 20th January 2021, 09:43 PM   #432
myleftear is offline myleftear  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Hi
Novice here.
I recently got mine (PSU) working, so I have some ideas.

Does the ripple eventually come from the 7 (instead of 4) 0.47r resistors? Just a thought...

Leave the output-snubber.
Install the input-snubber, make sure the values are good with your transformers (look for threads „quasimodo“ (one is about the jig, one is for the results. (Also, look for Mark Johnson‘s „soft-start“—it‘s a different beast, but you‘ll learn a lot about softstart-procedures...

Will you be building a dual mono in one case? (One softstart-board suggests so)

Happy building, you will like it and you will enjoy the community here!

d
Old 21st January 2021, 05:59 AM   #433
verticalmammal is offline verticalmammal  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myleftear View Post
Hi
Novice here.
I recently got mine (PSU) working, so I have some ideas.

Does the ripple eventually come from the 7 (instead of 4) 0.47r resistors? Just a thought...

Leave the output-snubber.
Install the input-snubber, make sure the values are good with your transformers (look for threads „quasimodo“ (one is about the jig, one is for the results. (Also, look for Mark Johnson‘s „soft-start“—it‘s a different beast, but you‘ll learn a lot about softstart-procedures...

Will you be building a dual mono in one case? (One softstart-board suggests so)

Happy building, you will like it and you will enjoy the community here!

d
Thanks! Yeah, that's the plan, a F5Tv2 with cascodes in dual mono in a 5U chassis.

In PSUD2 I have a CRC filter set up but I don't know how to increase the number of each component, so I have just been plugging the section totals into a single component if that makes sense. If I drop R to 4*0.47=1.88ohms I still get the same 120hz ripple. It only shows up if I only look at V(R2) which is my load voltage. If I take a 1s slice after a 120s reporting delay I'm seeing a wave that is 120hz and around 0.00024V peak to peak. Maybe that's as good as flat? Can't help but feel like I'm missing something obvious.
  Reply to this post

V3 Universal Power Supply Circuit BoardHide this!Advertise here!