F-5 Turbo boards

Joined 2004
Paid Member
RF Phil:

Here's one. A diyAudio soft start board is mounted to the interior surface of the front panel. For what little it's worth, I subsequently revised the power supply as a CRCRC, adding 90,000 uF as the third stage (for a total of 250,000 uF per channel), which nicely bolstered the low end. But the amps are otherwise unchanged from this photo.

Regards,
Scott

Attachments

• F5T Overhead (Grand Photo).jpg
    F5T Overhead (Grand Photo).jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 128
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Phil:

I've had no problems with the PSU directly over the toroid (in fact, I've done that on numerous builds without issue); I like the idea of having an open space in the chassis where rising air is not impeded by pcbs. Yes, the blue board located below the F5T front end pcb is a diyAudio speaker protection board. And yes, as mentioned in my post, a soft start is mounted on the inside surface of the front panel, just out of view in the photo.

Good luck with your build. I love my F5T V3s even though they are ridiculous overkill. I had a pair of Pass Labs Aleph 1.2 monoblocks for ages before building the V3s and it seems I got used to the look of a pair of hulking amplifiers between the speakers. If that is evidence of how shallow I am, so be it.

Regards,
Scott

Joined 2004
Paid Member
starcat:

Here are a couple of photos showing the third power supply stage (i.e., an RC stage) with and without the CRC power supply board designed by and sourced from buzzforb, a (former?) diyAudio member who hosted an F5 Turbo components group buy about a decade ago. The capacitors are all Nichicon KG (15,000 uF on the baseplate and 10,000 uF on the ps pcb).

Regards,
Scott

Attachments

• F5T Third PS Stage (buried under PS PCB).jpg
    F5T Third PS Stage (buried under PS PCB).jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 112
  • F5T Third PS Stage (unsoldered).jpg
    F5T Third PS Stage (unsoldered).jpg
    327 KB · Views: 106
Reactions: 1 user
RFPhil, take a look at my post #1435 in F5 turbo illustrated build guide thread. I am using 47v rails with great success and am very happy, although for various reasons I’m thinking about converting to balanced. Another poster, can’t recall who, had great idea of using high standoffs and riser panels (diyaudiostore) to mount the fe board horizontally over the caps. My amps are dead quiet with fe board mounted on back panel above iec inlet. Best of luck with your build, you will love the end result

Hello everyone
I am looking at the F5T V2 build and would like to read papa's article . I found the schematic and BOM but need more info before I order parts and the 5U Deluxe. Can anyone share or refresh a link for that article? It seems that it has been removed from all sites.
Thanks all.
Mihail