General diyAudio store questions thread

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I don't really have any information to share, I do know that Nelson is working on them, he has Siegfried's approval on the two-way LXmini crossover, and others are planned. There is even talk of a linestage using the same general layout, parts and PSU arrangement, but for now it's all talk.

As soon as I have anything to add I'll be sure to tell about it. :D :D :D

Good morning everyone (at least over here in the Netherlands it is still morning :) ),

been emailing with Elena from diyaudio store but no conclusive answer, she told me to come here and ask my question in the forum.
Is the DIYaudio store capable of sending me a complete kit to build an F5? Including psu and components to populate it?

Thanks in advance for replying.

Greetz, Dan.

Last edited:
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Good morning everyone (at least over here in the Netherlands it is still morning :) ),

been emailing with Elena from diyaudio store but no conclusive answer, she told me to come here and ask my question in the forum.
Is the DIYaudio store capable of sending me a complete kit to build an F5? Including psu and components to populate it?

Thanks in advance for replying.

Greetz, Dan.

No. There is an F5 kit, but it needs the matched B grade transistors that are sold out. Additionally, we do sell a PSU board, but no parts. All the boards we sell do have a full BOM however.

Hi!

Any chance there will be more Universal PSU boards available sometime in the near future?

Thanks!

Yes, about 2 weeks. Sign up for the "Email me when back in stock" notification and you'll automatically get emailed as soon as they're back in stock.

Digital printing question?

Hello,

The file for printing to front and back panels, does it need to be a document the size of the panel with only the design/text that needs to be printed? Black back ground white text or white background black text or the color of the text you want? Can I use the deluxe panel pdf and add the text?

Thanks,
MI

Joined 2000
Paid Member
1. What file format are you planning to use?
2. Yes, ideally you should scale it correctly, and position it correctly - the more information you provide Hifi2000 the closer the end result will be to what you intend
3. The document artboard doesn't need to be the same size as the panel, but should include the panel in some form in there so show where everything sits
4. In the future we'll have template files to use and download, this is one of many things on the todo lists
5. Yes you could use the Deluxe PDF and add text, Hifi2000 are pretty good about taking your ideas and turning them into reality, even from a hand drawn sketch

Digital printing question?

Hello Jason,

1. What file format are you planning to use?

What works the best PDF, AI, EPS or Corel Draw?

3. The document artboard doesn't need to be the same size as the panel, but should include the panel in some form in there so show where everything sits

5. Yes you could use the Deluxe PDF and add text, Hifi2000 are pretty good about taking your ideas and turning them into reality, even from a hand drawn sketch

So, if I use the PDF and add text where I want it printed and save as PDF or EPS or AI, it should be OK?

OT: I don't see in the store, Dissipante 4U: Substitute UMS heatsinks 400 mm option? or Deluxe? All out of 4U 400mm?

Thanks,
MI

Joined 2000
Paid Member
What works the best PDF, AI, EPS or Corel Draw?

Any of the above, but you can add DXF to that list and would be the preference.

So, if I use the PDF and add text where I want it printed and save as PDF or EPS or AI, it should be OK?

Indeed.

OT: I don't see in the store, Dissipante 4U: Substitute UMS heatsinks 400 mm option? or Deluxe? All out of 4U 400mm?

Currently the only UMS heatsinks are 4Ux300 and 5Ux400 which give you "large" and "huge" options. You can have any size you want done custom however, and the fee is USD50 per heatsink. Please note the 400 deep is made of 2x200, so that's USD200 (4xUSD50).

You can read more about this service here: Drilling and tapping of 40mm heatsinks – diyAudio Store

A couple of months ago I bought some Keratherm and a PSU board. I used paypal for the purchase. Today I went to buy a chassis and it seems I can only pay with a credit card. Is this a new change or what? I had planned to use the money in my paypal account to buy the chassis with.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
PayPal's fees are very high, in particular for international customers (up to 7% when you include goods + shipping), so we have switched it off as a main payment option. I felt it wasn't worth putting our prices up across the board just to feed that company's greed. They also don't let you charge a surcharge for using their service, because they want to hide from people how expensive they are.

However we can absolutely still accept PayPal, you just need to ask by sending an email to contact@diyaudiostore.com with what you want, and we'll manually create an invoice for you to pay, using PayPal. In that case there will be a percentage based "manual processing fee", but of course not a "surcharge", which would be against the PayPal rules.

Last edited:
PayPal's fees are very high, in particular for international customers (up to 7% when you include goods + shipping), so we have switched it off as a main payment option. I felt it wasn't worth putting our prices up across the board just to feed that company's greed. They also don't let you charge a surcharge for using their service, because they want to hide from people how expensive they are.

However we can absolutely still accept PayPal, you just need to ask by sending an email to contact@diyaudiostore.com with what you want, and we'll manually create an invoice for you to pay, using PayPal. In that case there will be a percentage based "manual processing fee", but of course not a "surcharge", which would be against the PayPal rules.

Thanks for that explanation. Useful to know. And your philosophy sounds entirely fair. I'm sure I can handle the "risk" of using my credit card.

Do you have any more Mesmerizer B1 preamp PCB boards coming?

I have been looking for a good passive preamp with buffer PCB, and was considering the PassDiy B1, but heard the Mesmerizer version is more popular. However, when I checked at the store, it said the PCB boards were all sold out. Will you be restocking them? If so, do you have a rough idea of when they will be available?

Thanks,

Kendra

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I have been looking for a good passive preamp with buffer PCB, and was considering the PassDiy B1, but heard the Mesmerizer version is more popular. However, when I checked at the store, it said the PCB boards were all sold out. Will you be restocking them? If so, do you have a rough idea of when they will be available?

Thanks,

Kendra

Bit late to the party on this reply, must have missed your message. Yes, the new "10 years after" re-release is now available.

If I buy the MEANWELL 24V 5A power supply for the ACA, what is the corresponding power port/receptacle that gets mounted in the case? Note: When I ordered, the kit was not available, only the boards, so don't have the kit parts.
Thanks

Sure thing. It's this Tensility model: 54-00064 Tensility International Corp | Connectors, Interconnects | DigiKey

Hello,

I'm form Spain and in the past I bought an ACA Kit (parts only) and the PCBs of the Aleph J and I had to pay 50€ of customs which is excessive because the Spanish Customs charge customs even for the shipment. For this reason I have not bought more in the store and some of the products that interest me have even been sold out.

On August 28, 2018 you post in the website that soon a shipping service with customs included was going to be available, is there any news abou it?

Thank you in advance,

Greetings.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thanks for the feedback. It's been my stubborn and relentless passion to be able to offer Europeans the best shipping options possible from the US.

We invested a lot of time and money moving to a new warehouse last year precisely to pursue this goal and it has been (I think) a great success. Our international shipping is now up to 5 times cheaper than before.

The average shipping price (for say ~1kg) used to be around $50-60 with USPS. That's now dropped to $15 using DHL Standard, and just recently for smaller lighter packages, often under $10 with DHL Paket depending on the destination. DHL isn't as fast or as reliable as USPS, but 97.5% of the time it gets to where it's going without a problem. USPS would be more in the ballpark of 99%.

When we moved, our new shipper said we would eventually be able to ship DHL Direct DDP (Delivered Duty Paid) as this was always my dream, and exactly what you're asking about. Unfortunately they didn't realize how difficult it would be, and at this moment in time (April 2019) we still don't have access to this service. We have performed small trial runs, but for reasons I won't go into detail about, we haven't yet been able to offer it as a regular full-time shipping option. Interestingly, during some small trials we ran, not that many people chose to ship with DDP (for an additional 25% fee), instead I guess preferring to "run the gauntlet" and take their chances with customs maybe-or-maybe-not being charged.

The customs fee you quoted sounds a bit excessive, but not over the top. There was probably a small "box opening fee" charged for the difficult work performed by your customs department to open the box. The feedback I have had recently suggests this kind of fee is country specific and often related to the phase of the moon on that day or whether the customs offer woke up on the wrong side of bed ("in a bad mood") that day. That is to say, there is little rhyme or reason, and (anecdotally) smaller packages sometimes slip through without being charged anything at all.

I checked the details of that order, and it was (at today's rates), €165 including shipping (All duty and customs is always calculated including shipping). Spanish VAT is 21%. Duty on most electronics into any EU country, as far as I can determine, is typically about 5-6%. So you'd expect to pay around 26-27% on the total. 27% of €165 is €45.

Without knowing exactly what you were charged, what you have quoted does sound about right, and possibly the "box opening fee" in this case wasn't all that great. I believe your comment was primarily about the annoyance of paying VAT on shipping charges, which wouldn't be solved by DDP. There's no getting around that other than using a cheaper shipping service (and we do now have substantially cheaper shipping options as mentioned above, up to 5x cheaper now).

If we were going to ship that with DDP, the ballpark additional fee would be about a ~27% charge to cover VAT and duty (calculated on goods + shipping). As you know, there is no avoiding VAT, whether you pay it to an EU retailer or during the import process. The only solution to that would be a political one.

In summary there's three advantages to DDP: The shipping is much faster because it doesn't get stopped at customs; There is no "box opening fee" (which as mentioned, sometimes is charged, sometimes not); You only pay once, and the price you pay is the final price. They're all great reasons to use a DDP service, none of them avoid the need to pay VAT on the shipping.

Once again, thanks for the feedback. I hope this explains a bit and thanks for posing the question. As mentioned, we now have really great rates for shipping to Europe (Especially for small packages, a PCB shipped to your address with DHL Paket would only be $9.37, including insurance and with full tracking). Being able to ship with DDP is definitely still on the cards and I won't be stopping until we are able (one day) to offer it. This is a good reminder for me to keep pushing...

Last edited: