General diyAudio store questions thread

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
That would be a long way off, if ever. DHL Express is doing a great job of handling duty payments for us and the feedback is excellent for that service, and it causes almost zero problems for either customers or the store, so we plan to continue it as a primary shipment method to the EU.

As far as starting a new entity in the EU, which would be very expensive as there is a lot of red tape and overhead, we don't have nearly the sales volume to warrant that at this stage. Perhaps in the future, if the store grows a lot. The EU is only 20% of our customers, and we love our European DIY brothers and sisters dearly, but right now we have plenty of things to sort out first before getting bogged down in EU red tape. The next few years are likely going to be focused on simplifying the store business rather than making it more complicated, as a lot of the slow-downs in progress over the last few years have come from trying to solve too many global shipping conundrums too quickly. The focus for the next year or so is going to be on simplification and standardization.

The EU loves red tape. It thrives on it, dictated by a massive bureaucracy in Brussels. We've found that out in spades post Brexit. As an example, we welcome EU goods with a minimum of fuss, but anything that goes from us to the EU leads to massive lorry jams in the UK while reams of paper are filled in. Perishable goods have rotted in lorries (trucks) waiting in line for days. The whole process is hugely asymmetric.

Don't go there Jason. The process will age you. I'm happy to buy from you and have it shipped to the UK as and when I need something.

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hi Jason, I'm sitting in the EU and have no need for an EU-branch of Diyaudio. As long as we have to pay to the customs and taxes for the "own" government, there is practically no difference; this things are also to pay when the product will be delivered from the US- to the EU-branch. I much appeeciate the possibility to get the products via DHL Express where the whole process is done and I wish, other US-suppliers would also offer this possibility (f.e. Antek, Passdiy), instead of the delivery with USPS only which could take up to 40 days (last experience with Antek). So, keep up the great work.

That would be a long way off, if ever. DHL Express is doing a great job of handling duty payments for us and the feedback is excellent for that service, and it causes almost zero problems for either customers or the store, so we plan to continue it as a primary shipment method to the EU.

As far as starting a new entity in the EU, which would be very expensive as there is a lot of red tape and overhead, we don't have nearly the sales volume to warrant that at this stage. Perhaps in the future, if the store grows a lot. The EU is only 20% of our customers, and we love our European DIY brothers and sisters dearly, but right now we have plenty of things to sort out first before getting bogged down in EU red tape. The next few years are likely going to be focused on simplifying the store business rather than making it more complicated, as a lot of the slow-downs in progress over the last few years have come from trying to solve too many global shipping conundrums too quickly. The focus for the next year or so is going to be on simplification and standardization.
Ok, Thanks for your reply.
Yeah, I understand about the difficulties with dealing with the EU.

Hi Jason

I recently bought the Aleph J transistors kit and noticed that they came with ;
  • 4 x Linear Systems LSJ74 (4-5mA, matched to 1mA)
I wanted to buy a second set for a friend but this time only the JFET but the Linear System don’ t seem to be available from the choices, the only one are the Toshiba at $49 usd.
If you would also offer the LSJ74 quad would there be a price difference vs a quad of Toshiba ?

Thanks
Eric

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Heya. We only have the exact products and product compositions that are listed in the store. They are packaged up by our suppliers, and stored sealed (usually in tamper proof bags to stop customs officers from meddling with them) in a 3rd party logistics warehouse facility for speedy worldwide shipping.

We don't have any way to have someone go and open up one of the products and remove bits from them. I mean, we do, but that would be a special project we'd have to pay the warehouse for and the cost would be more than just buying both products and keeping or selling the extra bits you didn't need on the trading post, saving them for a future project, or finding another DIYer local to you who would appreciate them.

Last edited:
Hello Jason. I have a couple of questions regarding the mini Dissipante 3U chassis. I am going to build a chip-amp using amplifier modules from Neurochrome. Will your supplier do a small amount of custom CNC machining? I just need a hole cut for an IEC socket on the back plate. Also, I see that the manufacturer makes a steel bottom plate for these chassis - does this replace the standard aluminum bottom plate, or will it attach over the Al plate?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Hello Jason

Hope you’re doing well.

There was a forum update yesterday and since then I can’t go through the checkout process. See message below.

Please kindly look into this.
BR
Eric

Attachments

• 3B2CCA2E-8218-4A3B-8EE6-7F3772530D1C.png
    3B2CCA2E-8218-4A3B-8EE6-7F3772530D1C.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 79
For your chassis faceplate milling/customization, do you offer any stock drill/mill/labeling options for popular gear? In particular, for a Kevin Gilmore CFA3 I'm building in a dissipante 2u. It'd be great to use an existing drawing vs reinvent the wheel. Thanks!

You can get that done directly from https://modushop.biz/site/. Use google translate to get to English. They are really easy to deal with (in English). I've had front panel machining and post anodizing, and front and rear panel silk screen printing done. None of which is expensive.

You'd have to pay for shipping from Italy of course.