General diyAudio store questions thread

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi,
there are so many cool possible projects in the store - do you have plans to offer parts kits, for example for the power amps (M2x)? It would be cool to by everything from one source. However, I don't know if there were kits available for the power amps in 2013 or so, as they are "older" offerings (based on the forum discussions).
Thanks in advance.

There are lots of plans to expand the range of offerings from the store. Jim is correct that we have no plans to offer mains powered kits in the near or medium term future, for liability reasons.

The main limitation at this stage is capital, as this community is very niche, production runs are small, margins are kept as low as possible and hobbyist friendly, keeping things in stock aggressively consumes capital, and as a result there isn't enough financial head-room to grow at a faster pace yet.

While we are very fortunate to have have dozens of amazing diyAudio members who generously donate their time to assist with all kinds of things (like Jim), we currently only have one full time staff (myself), and we're doing 4 things at once: maintaining a forum, a store, doing R&D, and manufacturing/assembly. That's just a lot of stuff to be organizing all at once, and it's why progress has slowed over the last few years.

A community of our nature doesn't get to enjoy the advertising revenue other audio forums might earn from commercial advertisers of fancy high-margin retail products to keep them afloat. However thanks to diyAudio members giving the store their custom (thank you!), in recent years the store has grown and has been turning a profit. This profit has in turn been re-invested this year in hiring good help to upgrade and maintain the forum, and later this year and next will be re-invested in the store, R&D and production capability so we can share more unique, well documented, well appointed offerings from the store, and keep them in stock as much as finances allow (alternatively, we might move to doing more pre-orders and getting the whole pre-order process running smoothly, with a focus on excellent communication, as this is less capital intensive).

I do apologize for the slow pace of adding new products to the store this year, but our focus the last 6 months has been primarily on the forum, and in the background working on setting things up so that offerings can flow more easily in the future.

As the saying goes, sometimes you "have to take one step back, to take two steps forward". Thanks is due to the many diyAudio volunteers, as well as members who have contributed their words, donated to the site, or helped the store grow. Everything we're doing now is to lay the foundations for next year to be full of great projects for you.

Last edited:
Joined 2020
Paid Member
Jason, appreciate your open and honest answer. No need to apologize, we have so much here (from my view, being able to buy the chassis from Italy that match up to the PCBs and the MOSFET kits is HUGE and the difference between me passing on a build and actually buying). Oh and you managing global shipping of it, which I am sure is a huge pain.

Hopefully you sense we are eager to be temped with new things to buy, and not you doing things for free! Even at that, there is a lot of keep us busy.

Further, I can only imagine how much of a pain it is dealing with all of the current supply chain issues. Prices going up, availability going down, longer lead times, EOL of parts, etc.

If there is any new stuff coming, I consider that a gift (even if I am paying for it)!

I just wanted to say that this is an amazing community and being a complete newbie I listen to my Aleph J daily. My previous projects were much simpler- Overnight Sensations; and LXMini. But thanks to the great work of everyone here it was very doable and enjoyable. Thank you all for the thousands of hours of free work and care you all show to everyone who comes here. I’m looking fwd to new SMPS driven amp kits.

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Thank you for the answer Jason and Jim!
I of course understand that you will not offer mains powered kits. And yes, collecting the parts could be a (learning) part of the game, sometimes fun, sometimes some frustration when a required part is hard to get or obsolet.
There is absolutely no reason to apologize, this is a great community, a great store, super communication - thank you for that!

Cheers

re: Power supplies- this was a big impediment for me as well- I spent months lurking around here; and the ACA was sold out for a while. But the Aleph J Newbie guide has even a shopping cart with Mouser for the power supply parts, and that's what tipped me over from lurking to action. So if people here are finding the power supply daunting, check out that thread and blog: designed for beginners and step by step like that for the ACA. And after you do one... well...

I have not received a response since Oct 9 at contact@diyaudiostore.com. I've send multiple email since then, today included. I even called the DIY Audio Store, LLC and left a voicemail.

Are you on vacation? I am at a standstill here for my stolen package without more information. I do not have enough information to file my claim with USPS. If the procedure is for the DIYAudioStore to file the claim, a response would have been appreciated.

After waiting 2 weeks of no replies, I've re-ordered the parts on my own dime, but I would still like to get my money back on this insured package.

MrJohn
Unless your tracking number shows the package as "delivered", do not give up hope. USPS has reportedly started their seasonal shenanigans early this year. Last year relatives sent us a first class tracked/insured package for Christmas, mailed it on December 7, 2020 and it finally arrived January 15, 2021.

I've read that many vendors write off lost USPS packages rather than jump through the post office "insurance" hoops. Last year I sent an rare 1970s Shure phono stylus microscope to a friend as a gift via Priority Mail and since it would not fit in the mailbox, the USPS driver delivered it by throwing it out onto the road. Of course, it was run over by a vehicle. When my friend took it to the post office with a copy of the claim I filed he was told that even though it was obviously destroyed they would not pay me the insurance money as there was no way to ascertain the value of this gift without a sales receipt. I spent weeks going back and forth with copies of Ebay sales posts of the same item sold by others for many times my insurance claim and was eventually told they would only honor a written appraisal from a certified appraiser. Yeah, right. I suspect if I had that, they would have then denied responsibility for the postal carrier's negligence and still not paid. Oh, and they never refund the postage and insurance (in this case over $20), that is always a total loss for the sender.

Needless to say, I never send anything other than letters via USPS any more and never anything of any value.

Thanks avdesignguru. Unfortunately my package was stolen. As requested by DIY Audio, I filed a police report and filed a complaint with the Post Office (complaint was filed the day I found out, as I'm just fed up with USPS). Attached to the police report were pictures of the delivery by the postman who decided to just leave it outside + pictures of the thief, who stole it. This probably could have been avoided if their tracking status was dependable. The expected delivery date kept going back and forth between Oct 6 and Oct 7. I checked during the day on Oct 6 and it said the expected delivery date was Oct 7, so I pretty much gave up on waiting for it on Oct 6. If packages don't fit in the mailbox, when did postman stop leaving tags... or even ringing buzzers??? So frustrating.

I attempted to file a claim with USPS but it asks for the insured amount. This is the information I have been trying to obtain from DIY Audio. I've requested this multiple times since Oct 9. When I look on the USPS website, it says these Medium Priority Flat-Rate boxes are insured up to $50. When I look on the DIY Audio site, it says 'Yes' under the insured column, but it does not list an insured amount. This package with shipping is close to $200.

I am trying to avoid a situation where I file a claim with USPS, and they say, "sorry, $50 is all you get, no additional insurance was purchased by the sender" and DIYAudio can't file a claim because I already opened one, and it is "resolved" after paying out only $50.

Claims through USPS take FOREVER. They make it so difficult to get a dine. My last one took 3 months and years ago, I had another claim that took 8 months and I had to go through all the appeals that I am allowed and multiple hours on the phone. This is not my first rodeo, so I am severely agitated that I have to do this AGAIN, then appeal, then appeal again, then wait on hold for sometimes 90minutes to get someone to answer so they can transfer me to someone else, and then this person tries to transfer me back... and now I am going on 14 days of no-response from DIY Audio after I sent in the police report, as requested.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi Mr John,

I do personally apologize for the long wait. I've replied to your helpdesk ticket and you should now find your case resolved.

We have standard operating procedures to handle this situation (theft after delivery). Your ticket was escalated by our support staff to me personally to approve your replacement. We normally only require my getting involved for the theft of high value shipments. Your shipment was under our threshold and your resolution should have been completed the same day you sent us the police report according to our SOPs without me needing to get involved.

The fault of delay however is mine entirely, as approval was just waiting on me, but as it happened I've been busy with other things of late such as the forum migration, and your ticket slipped between the cracks. We've put some new processes in place to best ensure this can't occur again, but things should be running a lot smoother by the start of next when we will (hopefully) have another hand or two on deck to help out.

Many thanks for your patience.

USPS is unlikely to pay us out, they rarely do and always find some obscure "out" clause, but the store and I myself personally absolutely stand by our promise to customers that they will get what they paid for, or their money back. That's a promise. Sorry it took so long this time.

Jason,

Thank you for the attention to this matter. I tried to message you personally, but it's turn off, either for you or me. I didn't know how else to get in contact after not hearing anything for nearly 2 weeks. Anyhow, I'm relieved that this is now resolved and I can focus on just putting the amp together when the parts arrive.

Best regards

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I have PMs turned off as the amount of incoming mail would otherwise be too great. 95% of the messages I used to get would be better answered, and certainly answered more rapidly, by the helpdesk itself.

Anyone is welcome to reach me via the helpdesk (contact@diyaudio.com) - just mark your email attention to myself and the ticket will be assigned to me.

IEC power Entry Module for NA

Hi, new to the forum and store. I am planning a build with the Dissipante 3U chassis. I was thinking to use the same power connector from the back panel kit, the Schurter 4304 6090 IEC Power entry module. I found this on Mouser, however it specifies IEC C14 or C18 compatibility. Looking for mating power cords on Mouser, no luck. Is this actually the correct power entry module for NA use? I'm certainly no expert on power connector specs, any feedback or suggestions welcome on the power entry module and associated power cords. I thought it would be easier to get the the back panel cutout if I used the same power entry module as in the kit.
Thanks.

IEC power Entry Module for NA

Hi, new to the forum and store. I am planning a build with the Dissipante 3U chassis. I was thinking to use the same power connector from the back panel kit, the Schurter 4304 6090 IEC Power entry module. I found this on Mouser, however it specifies IEC C14 or C18 compatibility. Looking for mating power cords on Mouser, no luck. Is this actually the correct power entry module for NA use? I'm certainly no expert on power connector specs, any feedback or suggestions welcome on the power entry module and associated power cords. I thought it would be easier to get the the back panel cutout if I used the same power entry module as in the kit.
Thanks.
https://octopart.com/datasheet/4304.6090-schurter-603761C14 has 3 prongs, including local earth.
C18 has 2 prongs.
Both have the same base and will fit in the same hole.
The cable you want is an iec c13 (female) to nema 5-15 male, I think. It is very likely the same cord used on many desktop computers and printers.

Kind regards,
Drew

Issues with Dale RN55 resistors supplied with WHAMMY kit

The marked:
  • 47 ohm resistors measured 29 ohms (over 35% variance!)
  • 100 ohm resistors measured 64 ohms (45% variance)
That's a significant deviation from the marked number and tolerance limit. Anyone one else seeing this? All other resistors measured within tolerances.

Also the schematic states 2SK2013 and 2SJ313, but the kit supplies IRF610 and IRF9610. I assume they are interchangeable?

2SK2013 = IRF610 (N-channel)
2SJ313 = IRF9610 (P-channel)

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I'll suggest replacing the battery in your meter, that can often lead to erroneous readings. Also many meters have difficulty properly measuring low-ohm resistors.

I've handled and tested thousands of RN-series resistors and have never found one out of spec, as they are all individually tested before packaging at the Dale factory.

Yes, the 610 and 9610 are interchangeable with the K2013 and J313.

2. We are investigating all the tax / legal / red tape / complications associated with creating an EU "branch" of the store, so that we can charge VAT (and possibly duty?) at the time of ordering, handling the VAT collection and payment ourselves rather than having our carriers handle it with DDP (where they pay out the taxes to the EU, which is simpler)

So, as you can see, the situation is very complicated. It would be very easy to just run a US store and only ship to the US, and other countries that don't have tax issues. But we really love our EU members, we don't want to limit their options, we want to get you the best possible shipping prices, and we want to reduce the time things are held in customs, and we want to reduce the taxes you have to pay to a minimum especially the "box opening fee".

We're working hard on solving this problem for you, and every other EU member.

Hi Jason,

You posted this about a possible EU "Branch" for the store a little over a year ago.
Is there any new news on setting up a EU "branch" of the store?

Or is it on the back burner until other things are resolved first?