General diyAudio store questions thread

If I am building an F5v3 with the parts kit using also the back panel chassis parts kit , both sold by the store...

What is the proper fuse to use? NP recommended a 3AG slow blow 2.5 amp but that was circa 2008 version. Please provide a link if possible.

Thanks

That's still the correct value for version 3. You can verify in the F5 build thread, if you like. Plenty of good info there to prepare you for your build. You will love your F5!

I second toni057 question. Any ETA for F6?

If it’s a long way out, what is the best way to acquire all those BOM parts? Is there a way to send the complete list to a distributor to get most of them?

Or is it a waste of time? Meaning, if you don’t have the kit, then it’s very unlikely we could get all those parts from DigiKey, for example?

On a related topic, is it ok to get a DIY amp etched like the ones NP makes? Do you save files for major models? CBB0BDB3-98E9-46E0-9659-4FF53BE90E89.jpeg

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Getting the parts for the F6 kit would be easy. Jensen makes to order, so get them started, and you’ll need matched Jfets from diyAudio store or eBay seller punkydawgs.

The rest is all easy to get at mouser or digikey. :yes: Mosfets do not require matching.

Hi 6L6,

Thanks for getting back on this. I've changed my immediate focus from F6 to Aleph J. Got the JFETs. Do mosfets require matching for Aleph J. You said not necessary for F6.

Also, there are some unanswered availability-type questions on this thread. Some businesses hate to pre-announce anything in case it doesn't come to fruition, but it sure would be nice to know, in my case, at least, the approximate timeline for availability of ACA kits, F6 kits, other "out of stock" items, and some of the kit ideas that have been discussed in the forum. Maybe a "sticky" with latest updates or something like that?

Another question that I asked (above) which is non-availability, is about whether the custom etching/engraving/LED holes of front panels can be done to look like the First Watt amps. And, if so, if the drawings are available to do that or would we need to come up with the artwork ourselves? I completely understand if that is not considered kosher, but Papa seems to be quite the sharing guy, so maybe he would encourage it (?).

Regarding the above question, assuming it's not OK to have an exact clone of the First Watt front panel, I wonder if it would be OK to have one that looks like an F6, for example, with the same font, etc., but add something like "Assembled by Alan Huth" underneath. Would that fly?

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hi 6L6,

Thanks for getting back on this. I've changed my immediate focus from F6 to Aleph J. Got the JFETs. Do mosfets require matching for Aleph J. You said not necessary for F6.

Also, there are some unanswered availability-type questions on this thread. Some businesses hate to pre-announce anything in case it doesn't come to fruition, but it sure would be nice to know, in my case, at least, the approximate timeline for availability of ACA kits, F6 kits, other "out of stock" items, and some of the kit ideas that have been discussed in the forum. Maybe a "sticky" with latest updates or something like that?

Hi Alan, yes the Mosfets for the Aleph J need to be matched.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Regarding the above question, assuming it's not OK to have an exact clone of the First Watt front panel, I wonder if it would be OK to have one that looks like an F6, for example, with the same font, etc., but add something like "Assembled by Alan Huth" underneath. Would that fly?

Hi Alan, I believe this has been covered in a PassLabs thread I read years ago and the word “Clone” must appear somewhere on the amp.

Hi 6L6,

That makes perfect sense. And I'm deeply appreciative of the fact that the store even exists. You too. I wouldn't even be contemplating this stuff without all your efforts.

Question: if something on the store is sold out, is it reasonable to assume that there is some part of the offering that is hard to come by, or should I assume that, as you said here, that the volunteers simply haven't had the time to put it together?

For me, a complete noob with no electronics experience, the big value of the store is the elimination of risk variables, more so than convenience or cost. Right part, right quantity, right "matching" or whatever. The chances of me putting this amp together without some cold solder joints is probably close to zero. So at this point, I don't also need to find out that the part next door has the wrong polarity or value. I'd much rather wait for a DIY Store kit and take that extra level of frustration out of it.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member

It's easy to miss an advertised date. Then customers get upset, we cop angry emails, bad for everybody. What has proven to work better is that we are realistic and just say "a few months" which is as good an estimate as the universe will provide.

When we do advertise a date, it means we're very confident we'll hit it and there is always lots of slack built in an advertised date. Nonetheless, even with all that extra slack, we still sometimes miss dates. This is a hobby for everyone involved - me, you, and the good DIYers who put kits together for us, often literally on kitchen benches.

Question: if something on the store is sold out, is it reasonable to assume that there is some part of the offering that is hard to come by, or should I assume that, as you said here, that the volunteers simply haven't had the time to put it together?

Usually the latter. In the case of the ACA just now, we had a modest stock reserve that was selling a reliable number per month and wasn't going to go out of stock. Then we got some good press and it sold everything out. Lead times on some parts and chassis production for example can be 2+ months, then there are the tens or hundreds of hours it takes to painstakingly sort resistors, capacitors, nuts, bolts, standoffs... it's a huge amount of work. There are over 50 different line items in an ACA kit despite it being a "simple" amp.

I'd much rather wait for a DIY Store kit and take that extra level of frustration out of it.

That's what we're here for! :) And if you don't want to wait you can of course find all the schematics available online, buy the parts yourself, and DIY. But if you do buy something from the store, it means there will be more stuff available from the store in the future for you and for others...

Last edited:
Hi Jason,

Thanks for clarifying. All totally understandable. We are very lucky you guys are around.

Are you the best person to answer my questions in posts 229 and 230 about front panels? What I’m really hoping for is a front panel that has the look and feel of a Pass Labs amp but is fully respectful of NP’s intellectual property rights AND ideally, doesn’t require me to hire a graphic artist to make it happen. Hopefully there is artwork out there that could be edited to meet the above requirements (??)

JSA1971,

Thanks for your suggestion that these questions have already been answered. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find them. I did find discussions about how we must be respectful of NP’s IPR, but I couldn’t find anything on the use of the word “clone” or anything like that.

When I say “respectful”, I don’t mean staying “within the law”, I mean honoring and showing respect for Nelson Pass and his immeasurable contributions to this hobby/disease. When someone comes over and hears this amazing stereo where a cheap Costco Bose system used to be, I want to say, “I built that, from a plan given away by legendary designer Nelson Pass. See, there’s his name, right on the box. And, you can build one too!”

Last edited:
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
To answer your questions in 229 and 230: There are no public or private CAD models of commercial designs from any commercial designer or design. You'll need to come up with your own unique design.

I think the vibe is that you it's cool to have whatever you want manufactured from your own mind's eye as long as it's a non-commercial and private endeavor. It's an essential and fun part of the DIY experience. Just fine as long as it's to be used for your own non commercial pleasure and there is no financial motive. You will need to do all the creative work though.

Administrator
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Another question that I asked (above) which is non-availability, is about whether the custom etching/engraving/LED holes of front panels can be done to look like the First Watt amps. And, if so, if the drawings are available to do that or would we need to come up with the artwork ourselves? I completely understand if that is not considered kosher, but Papa seems to be quite the sharing guy, so maybe he would encourage it (?).

Hi Alan! I've referred your question to our manufacturing partner, HiFi2000, and this is their reply:
As long as the CAD drawing in either DXF or DWG format is provided, we can engrave/print the logo without any problem.