diyAudio F5 Build Guide

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
This thread is for discussions about the diyAudio F5 Build Guide we have created for the First Watt F5 Amplifier by Nelson Pass. For more information on the boards available from the diyAudio Store, please see the information below.

Please note: The V2 and V3 boards have different parts placements.

Threads on diyAudio that relate to this product (If we have missed one, please post it in this thread and we will add it to the list):

Last edited:
Build guide question's

Very nice guide ! Have some question's though. Why was the purple transformer drain wire not used ? Why are the psu caps only 10,000uf @ 25v ? Could one use a Antek 300Va as opposed to a 400Va ? And last were CL-60's used on the primary of the transformer as shown in the schematic, if so how ? Thank's :confused:

Very nice guide ! Have some question's though. Why was the purple transformer drain wire not used ? Why are the psu caps only 10,000uf @ 25v ? Could one use a Antek 300Va as opposed to a 400Va ? And last were CL-60's used on the primary of the transformer as shown in the schematic, if so how ? Thank's :confused:

Not all transformer have this feature and so for brevity, the purple wire was not used.

Those caps were already there at the time of publishing. The psu schematic calls for 15,000uf/25V, please follow that.

I believe a 300VA can be used also.

Yes the CL-60s were used, please see Page 35. The CL-60s were soldered directly to the leads of the transformer and insulated accordingly. It is however for a mains of 240VAC, please see Page 5 for 120V mains operation.

What about a guide for matching semiconductors? I know you can find out how with a search online but adding a "why to/how to" to this post would help people out.

I actually made a matching jig that can be used with an external power supply and a DMM to match the fets used in our prototypes but that should be for another thread. Thank you, maybe in the next revision.

Attachments

• Power Mosfet Rig.png
    Power Mosfet Rig.png
    119.2 KB · Views: 10,319
  • IMG_2805.JPG
    IMG_2805.JPG
    535.5 KB · Views: 10,180
Using Toshiba Mosfets?

I am rebuilding my F5, completed a couple of years ago, before this excellent build guide was around. I made some mistakes and am in the process of repopulating new boards. I have a couple pairs of Toshiba 2SK1530/2SJ201 mosfets and am wondering if I can use them without straying to far from this BOM. I would prefer to stay with the tried and true, but would like to use them if it could be easily done. I see some discussion in the original F5 thread regarding their use, but I don't know that a "best" setup was ever agreed on.
Thank you.

Thanks 6L6
The more I think about it and after reading about all the fakes around, I think maybe I will stick with the Vishays. I know I can get them from reputable dealers. I am starting to wonder about the 2SK170/2SJ74 I have. Do you know of reputable dealers selling them? I see FETAudio mentioned as a good source. Do you know of others? Thanks again.

Hi folks!
Maybe it's a dummy question but I found slight difference between two F5 amplifiers schematics. At least it should be 4.2V on left image. Also there are two capacitors on PCB board. Which one is correct one or better one?

And which PCB board do you prefer for this amp. I'm trying to make a short cut. :)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
up in smoke

Looking for some help. I just finished assembling F5 amp using v3 boards/schematic and when I powered up to check/set bias things went up in smoke! In particular R7 and R8 lit up and Q1 and Q2 "popped". Looking at board it appears a few other resistors got hot too...R14, and R4 showing discoloration.

I have double checked, triple checked component placement/polarity and am coming up with nothing.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!