diyAudio F5 Build Guide

Originally Posted by Mazeppa View Post
Lots of folks very happy with the F5.
Actually, I don't think a guy could go wrong with any of the DIY Papa clones.

Still recommend going dual mono PS from the get-go.

Per 6L6 wanting my question below to the statement above rerouted to an F5 thread (from the ACA thread)...

I'm thinking about an F5 build... and have bought a transformer—500VA—before reading this thread (so, not really thinking about it anymore I guess)...so I get that it's slightly overkill—but was in the range listed in the DIYStore info and price wasn't that Dif from the 400VA... I'm also confused by the PSU build—but I'll get into that on the PSU thread? Or can I wonder right here about what capacitors I need for that transformer (secondary voltage rating?) or is that even a relevant question? From reading this thread seems I'm not the only one with PSU related questions building an F5... and then there's this Dual Mono PS thing from the person quoted above... Could someone explain that? Like you are talking to a child? Haha. I know a lot about plumbing—not a lot about electricity—just enough to get myself into trouble.

So, what does Dual Mono PS look like, exactly, if I'm following the PSU build here on the forum (6L6) and building a single PSU, concurrent with the F5 build guide? the pictures I've seen show a single transformer connected to the PSU board and then to the respective amp boards. Is dual mono a power supply for each channel? So 2 PSUs? Also confused by the PSU build guide and the Discrete Diode Bridge part of the board—that seems to not be used in the F5 builds.... and I have yet to soloush what it does exactly anyway...

Not looking for complete answers on any of this—where's the fun in that?—and I'm still trying to read everything (and do my real work!) —one thing I know is that eventually I'll figure it out a piece at a time—it's just that I don't want to die trying. Thanks!

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yep. What Dennis said.

One transformer, one PSU, one amp channel.

x2.

Yes, the chassis will get really packed. Yes, you can use a smaller transformer per side as it only needs to supply one channel at a time.

And when you're done thinking about it, you'll likely realize that it probably makes more sense to build monoblocks. :D

pfarrell - check your PM

Yep. What Dennis said.

One transformer, one PSU, one amp channel.

x2.

Yes, the chassis will get really packed. Yes, you can use a smaller transformer per side as it only needs to supply one channel at a time.

And when you're done thinking about it, you'll likely realize that it probably makes more sense to build monoblocks. :D

pfarrell - check your PM

Haha, well yes... so I had the right mental image... So... the most obvious question is... how is that not a mono block setup in a single chassis? Or is it? And what are the explicit advantages? That presumably I could hear?

I'm very blown away with the ACA, and the kit for the second one arrived today...So I'll be playing the mono block game—where are the boards for the B1 NuTube?????!!!!! Need that running too to keep the family happy with inputs besides a turntable. Haha..... Dualing F5s is crazy for my level right now. I'm gonna build one... and then go from there...

Hi. What is the power consumption of one of these boards.

I would have thought since class a is about 20% music and 80% heat, then for a 25watt amp it should be 125 watts per board. Does this sound about right. But the plan calls for 400va transformer.

Also, the plan advises a voltage of 18v up to 24v. What would happen with 18v? The amount of power the amp could produce will go down, but what is the effect on the sound quality.

Thanks!

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Nelson recommends a 300VA transformer. Everybody grossly oversized the PSU because it’s easy and fun. :)

As for lower voltage, I’ve done a few experiments and yes, the max power is down but, in my opinion, the sound suffers a bit as well. This amp is very popular for a reason, (it sounds amazing) and it’s operating points were designed with 24v rails. I’d suggest keeping to that if you can.

Thanks for the reply.

I thought that running the boards at a slightly lower voltage may help to keep them a little cooler and extend life, perhaps they are not pushed so hard and can cruise a little. Some class-a's die over the years from the amount of heat they put out.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I too suggest keeping to approx 24V rails as designed. A good 300VA
transformer will do nicely but you can obviously go higher. (The commercial
F5 used a 300VA 2x18VAC Plitron.)

At 1.3A bias, each channel should draw less than 70W.

Good heatsinking, proper mounting/interface of the transistors and
a reasonable dissipation for each transistor should ensure a long service life.

Good Point.

Is it 70 watts for these particular boards? I thought it was 125. Even more confused now.
My suggestion is if the power consumption is 70 watt per board then a 200 va should be enough. Why should i spend extra money on a 400va, difficult to see any sonic benefits.

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Transformer power in VA should be 6X the output power of the amplifier in W.

That’s the rule of thumb that Nelson uses. As I said, everybody likes to oversize the PSU because it seems like it’s a clear benefit. (It likely gains nothing, but that’s not going to stop anybody... :) )

BUT, you not want to go much smaller than recommended because the transformer will be in a steady-state load and that’s what needs the extra capacity.

Tl;dr, 300VA is ideal. Smaller isn’t recommended, bigger makes the amplifier heavier.

I think your 20% efficiency is a bit off. I've always heard class A falls in the 25% - 50% range.

Something like the Aleph or J2 might do even better as they have active current sources which follow the load to some extent.

Beyond that, is efficiency somewhat dependant on how close to the rails the amp can swing the output? Is the F5 reasonable good at this?

Resistor

This thread is for discussions about the diyAudio F5 Build Guide we have created for the First Watt F5 Amplifier by Nelson Pass. For more information on the boards available from the diyAudio Store, please see the information below.

Please note: The V2 and V3 boards have different parts placements.

Threads on diyAudio that relate to this product (If we have missed one, please post it in this thread and we will add it to the list):

Hi,
I have one question, why original amp have 2,4ohm resitor with 0,47ohm resistor ?

Attachments

• Resistor.jpg
    Resistor.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 185