diyAudio F5 Build Guide

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Just saw this.

Please post well-lit, in-focus photos. We'll see what we can see. :)

Looking for some help. I just finished assembling F5 amp using v3 boards/schematic and when I powered up to check/set bias things went up in smoke! In particular R7 and R8 lit up and Q1 and Q2 "popped". Looking at board it appears a few other resistors got hot too...R14, and R4 showing discoloration.

Well i am moving ahead slow and steady for the F5, just got over the power supply stuff. I am using a 2 X 18V, 600VA toroid. Funny thing is when I power it on, it humm's a bit and supply looks good...but when I switch it off and restart...it trips me power supply. Fortunately I have MCB's so I need to keep switching them on...am I missing something here??

198e3450f4a75003532726ac9410e2ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
What are the resistors on the output?? You don't want them for a Class-A amp.

The caps appear to be a short circuit when they are discharged, and with a 600VA transformer there is the possibility of drawing A LOT of current from the wall when you switch on. I suspect the circuit breaker is getting hot from the first power-up and the subsequent cycles are heating past it's trip point.

Use a CL-60 in series with the live to control the inrush.

F5 V3.0 build

Hi!
I just bought these diyAudio F5 boards to build the amp. But I couldn't find a specific build thread or BOM for these V3.0 boards. I even made the mistake of buying 2 completely forgetting 1 is for a pair. Now I am stuck in the middle. Please help! I am a complete newbie at this.

ericacaylar

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Well... I am working on the new guide.

Here's an "in-progress" sneak peak. Might help you out.

F5_Schematic_w-P3.jpg

Amplifier schematic. Print out and have in front of you at all times. :)

IMG_1654.jpg

Right - PCB bag. Left - Kit of F5 parts.

IMG_1655.jpg

The current F5 PCB from the diyAudio store. It has the inclusion of potentiometer P3, and is the third revision of this board, hence "F5v3"

IMG_1656.jpg

The parts kit includes everting for the PCB except the input Jfets and the LED

IMG_1659.jpg

One channel's parts

IMG_1660.jpg

The Dale resistors have thier value printed on the side, the code is 3-digit + multiplier at values greater than 100ohm, and below 100ohm the "R" is the decimal.

So, from top to bottom you see
10K (100+2 zeros, 10000ohm)
1K (100+1 zero, 1000ohm)
100 ohm (100+0 zeros, 100ohm)
10.0 ohm (10R0, 10.0 ohm)

IMG_1663.jpeg

Lead spacing for all small resistors is .5inch (12.7mm)

IMG_1666.jpg

Measure all resistors before inserting into the board! :)

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1671.jpeg

Left side

IMG_1670.jpg

Center

IMG_1669.jpeg

Right side

IMG_1673.jpg

Big resistors installed. Blue are 0.47ohm 3W, Orange are 100ohm 3W. Values printed clearly on the side of each resistor.

IMG_1675.jpeg

Note that the parts kit does not include the LED or it's resistor, this is so you can choose that you prefer.

IMG_1677.jpg

I used blue and a 15K resistor

IMG_1678.jpg

Install the 5K pot and the ZTX450 on this side (Q6). Note the orientation of the transistor. The potentiometer value is almost the same code as the resistors - 502 is 50+2 zeros , 5000 ohms

IMG_1679.jpg

Q5 is the ZTX550, note orientation, and use another 5K pot here.

IMG_1680.jpg

The 200ohm pot mounts in the center, and the Jfets install as shown. The K170 is the N-channel, the J74 is the P-channel.

IMG_1681.jpg

Mount the thermistors as shown and don't bend then yet.

IMG_1676.jpeg

Stuffed PCBs

[

Last edited:
Thank for your clear and well illustrated build guide. I just finished building the amp boards, I used a build guide from 2012. In this build I noticed that the pots were mounted the other way around as well as the jFets. Am I missing something? If so I will have to desolder every thing. Thank for your reply.

all the info is on the bottom page of diy store where you bought the boards
class A not the best way to start building amps
I would suggest few chip amps first but its up to you

diyAudio F5 Build Guide
Interesting, why is class A not good to start?
I've built a chip amp and a tripath, but those were on guides where I had a diagram of where everything went, rather than a schematic.
Thanks