Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

diyAudio F5 Build Guide
diyAudio F5 Build Guide
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2019, 04:41 PM   #81
tooppy is offline tooppy  France
diyAudio Member

I haven't seen anything on the insulation of the PSU board from the base plate.
Old 9th September 2019, 12:22 PM   #82
tooppy is offline tooppy  France
diyAudio Member

Well....sometime I am not awake....it is of course on brass standoffs.
Old 9th September 2019, 07:01 PM   #83
pfarrell is offline pfarrell  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazeppa View Post
Lots of folks very happy with the F5.
Actually, I don't think a guy could go wrong with any of the DIY Papa clones.

Still recommend going dual mono PS from the get-go.
Per 6L6 wanting my question below to the statement above rerouted to an F5 thread (from the ACA thread)...

I'm thinking about an F5 build... and have bought a transformer—500VA—before reading this thread (so, not really thinking about it anymore I guess)...so I get that it's slightly overkill—but was in the range listed in the DIYStore info and price wasn't that Dif from the 400VA... I'm also confused by the PSU build—but I'll get into that on the PSU thread? Or can I wonder right here about what capacitors I need for that transformer (secondary voltage rating?) or is that even a relevant question? From reading this thread seems I'm not the only one with PSU related questions building an F5... and then there's this Dual Mono PS thing from the person quoted above... Could someone explain that? Like you are talking to a child? Haha. I know a lot about plumbing—not a lot about electricity—just enough to get myself into trouble.

So, what does Dual Mono PS look like, exactly, if I'm following the PSU build here on the forum (6L6) and building a single PSU, concurrent with the F5 build guide? the pictures I've seen show a single transformer connected to the PSU board and then to the respective amp boards. Is dual mono a power supply for each channel? So 2 PSUs? Also confused by the PSU build guide and the Discrete Diode Bridge part of the board—that seems to not be used in the F5 builds.... and I have yet to soloush what it does exactly anyway...

Not looking for complete answers on any of this—where's the fun in that?—and I'm still trying to read everything (and do my real work!) —one thing I know is that eventually I'll figure it out a piece at a time—it's just that I don't want to die trying. Thanks!
Old 9th September 2019, 07:06 PM   #84
Dennis Hui is online now Dennis Hui  Canada
Hoopy Frood
diyAudio Member

diyAudio F5 Build Guide
Basically, dual mono would mean you have a stereo amp, where each channel
gets its own fuse, transformer, rectifiers and PS board (assuming you're
using a PS board).
Old 9th September 2019, 07:11 PM   #85
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

diyAudio F5 Build Guide
Yep. What Dennis said.

One transformer, one PSU, one amp channel.

x2.

Yes, the chassis will get really packed. Yes, you can use a smaller transformer per side as it only needs to supply one channel at a time.

And when you're done thinking about it, you'll likely realize that it probably makes more sense to build monoblocks.

pfarrell - check your PM
Old 9th September 2019, 07:30 PM   #86
pfarrell is offline pfarrell  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Yep. What Dennis said.

One transformer, one PSU, one amp channel.

x2.

Yes, the chassis will get really packed. Yes, you can use a smaller transformer per side as it only needs to supply one channel at a time.

And when you're done thinking about it, you'll likely realize that it probably makes more sense to build monoblocks.

pfarrell - check your PM

Haha, well yes... so I had the right mental image... So... the most obvious question is... how is that not a mono block setup in a single chassis? Or is it? And what are the explicit advantages? That presumably I could hear?

I'm very blown away with the ACA, and the kit for the second one arrived today...So I'll be playing the mono block game—where are the boards for the B1 NuTube?????!!!!! Need that running too to keep the family happy with inputs besides a turntable. Haha..... Dualing F5s is crazy for my level right now. I'm gonna build one... and then go from there...
Old 13th November 2019, 07:01 AM   #87
goodguys is offline goodguys  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi. What is the power consumption of one of these boards.

I would have thought since class a is about 20% music and 80% heat, then for a 25watt amp it should be 125 watts per board. Does this sound about right. But the plan calls for 400va transformer.

Also, the plan advises a voltage of 18v up to 24v. What would happen with 18v? The amount of power the amp could produce will go down, but what is the effect on the sound quality.

Thanks!
Old 13th November 2019, 01:38 PM   #88
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

diyAudio F5 Build Guide
Nelson recommends a 300VA transformer. Everybody grossly oversized the PSU because it’s easy and fun.

As for lower voltage, I’ve done a few experiments and yes, the max power is down but, in my opinion, the sound suffers a bit as well. This amp is very popular for a reason, (it sounds amazing) and it’s operating points were designed with 24v rails. I’d suggest keeping to that if you can.
Old 14th November 2019, 06:35 AM   #89
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply.

I thought that running the boards at a slightly lower voltage may help to keep them a little cooler and extend life, perhaps they are not pushed so hard and can cruise a little. Some class-a's die over the years from the amount of heat they put out.
Old 15th November 2019, 06:54 AM   #90
diyAudio Member

Or is it good heatsinking that is important.

Most amps have an input cap to block dc, is there a chance of dc upsetting this amp

Is my assumption of 125 watts power consumption per board accurate

Thanks!

Last edited by goodguys; 15th November 2019 at 07:04 AM.

diyAudio F5 Build GuideHide this!Advertise here!