Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

diyAudio F5 Build Guide
diyAudio F5 Build Guide
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2019, 04:48 PM   #61
Dennis Hui is online now Dennis Hui  Canada
Hoopy Frood
diyAudio Member

diyAudio F5 Build Guide
Dave, I think those 8 tapped holes would allow the ps
board to be mounted on the front panel.
Old 5th January 2019, 05:38 PM   #62
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

diyAudio F5 Build Guide
The hypex module should work fine for an F5.

The front panel holes are useful, perhaps, if you are going to build something other than a standard Firstwatt. You won't need them with an F5.
Old 5th January 2019, 07:22 PM   #63
Trismos is offline Trismos  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thx Dennis, 6L6.
Old 5th January 2019, 08:12 PM   #64
jphabc54 is offline jphabc54  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trismos View Post
Thx Dennis, 6L6.
Depends on how you build your PSU. If I were rebuilding mine Iíd use monolithic diode bridges and the CL-60 soft start so I could place the transformer toward the front and the CR filter toward the rear, similar to the real First Watt F5 design. With discrete diodes and the soft start board, I didnít have space for the DIY Audio Store CR filter board anywhere but attached to the face plate. I think this layout could be whatís causing the slight hum in my F5 build.
Old 7th January 2019, 03:17 AM   #65
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphabc54 View Post
Depends on how you build your PSU. If I were rebuilding mine Iíd use monolithic diode bridges and the CL-60 soft start so I could place the transformer toward the front and the CR filter toward the rear, similar to the real First Watt F5 design. With discrete diodes and the soft start board, I didnít have space for the DIY Audio Store CR filter board anywhere but attached to the face plate. I think this layout could be whatís causing the slight hum in my F5 build.
Thx jphabc54. I was planning on building the PSU pretty much per 6L6's build guide linked to in the store. The F5 layout would be much along the lines of his build guide on that as well. I was part way through a build on a Hypex class D amp when I received and finished an ACA first, so I happen to have a nice soft start module and a push button switch with an led ring around it I thought might look great on the black deluxe 4U chassis. I'll have to wait for the chassis to see how I will lay it all out. Any pics of your amp would be great.

Please explain a bit about this CR filter. I do not see anything about it in the store nor do I recall reading about it.

Thx
Dave.
Old 8th January 2019, 01:41 AM   #66
jphabc54 is offline jphabc54  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trismos View Post
Thx jphabc54. I was planning on building the PSU pretty much per 6L6's build guide linked to in the store. The F5 layout would be much along the lines of his build guide on that as well. I was part way through a build on a Hypex class D amp when I received and finished an ACA first, so I happen to have a nice soft start module and a push button switch with an led ring around it I thought might look great on the black deluxe 4U chassis. I'll have to wait for the chassis to see how I will lay it all out. Any pics of your amp would be great.

Please explain a bit about this CR filter. I do not see anything about it in the store nor do I recall reading about it.

Thx
Dave.
Hey no problem ó by CR board I meant the capacitor bank part of the Universal PSU. To make everything fit in the 4U chassis, I had to separate the rectifier and capacitor bank components of the PSU board and attach the capacitor bank to the front panel. Unfortunately this layout put my transformer in a loop with my preamp. I got some good advice on adjusting my wiring to minimize the loop, but I still have a very faint 60hz hum on my F5 when itís attached to a preamp.

I posted some pictures of my build and a discussion of my hum challenges beginning here in the F5 Power Amp thread:

F5 power amplifier
Old 8th January 2019, 04:29 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphabc54 View Post
Hey no problem ó by CR board I meant the capacitor bank part of the Universal PSU. To make everything fit in the 4U chassis, I had to separate the rectifier and capacitor bank components of the PSU board and attach the capacitor bank to the front panel. Unfortunately this layout put my transformer in a loop with my preamp. I got some good advice on adjusting my wiring to minimize the loop, but I still have a very faint 60hz hum on my F5 when itís attached to a preamp.

I posted some pictures of my build and a discussion of my hum challenges beginning here in the F5 Power Amp thread:

F5 power amplifier
Hey this is great! Thanks. I've built the ACA and a couple Elekit tube amps so I haven't been fretting too much about most of it - but the biasing part is new to me ... and when the guys get to talking about firing the amp up the first time with a light bulb in the loop or a variac, it gets me slightly nervous.

diyAudio F5 Build GuideHide this!Advertise here!