diyAudio F5 Build Guide

IMG_1852.jpeg

Love this build and Super Dumb question to ask. If the toroidal transformer is mounted on the faceplate, what do we do with the hole that mounting screw goes through? Do we normally leave it as it is so it is visible from the front?

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Reactions: 1 user
A blind hole may be drilled and tapped into the front panel. That is difficult to do.

An easier method is with a mounting bracket:

https://toroid.com/l-bracket/

A diy option is to purchase a Simpson StrongTie A24 bracket or similar from your local home improvement/hardware store and drill mounting holes to suit:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson...-in-x-2-1-2-in-Galvanized-Angle-A24/100375162

Thank you so much, Ben. Fully understood. I could not find any L mounting bracket for toroidal transformer in my country so might have to go for DIY option from Hardware store.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
If you get the silver front panel with the 9 threaded, tapped holes you can mount a riser panel to it, and then the toroidal to that. Many moons ago, a lot of thought went into the design of the baseplate and riser panels so there would always be a dead-horizontally-centered hole for mounting toroidals to the baseplate or the risers. You can also mount risers to the baseplate if you don't want to use the front panel.

DSC_0594_1024x1024 copy.jpg

The blind LED hole is also tapped, so depending on the size of the transformer you could consider using that (upside down perhaps).

Reactions: 1 user
If you get the silver front panel with the 9 threaded, tapped holes you can mount a riser panel to it, and then the toroidal to that. Many moons ago, a lot of thought went into the design of the baseplate and riser panels so there would always be a dead-horizontally-centered hole for mounting toroidals to the baseplate or the risers. You can also mount risers to the baseplate if you don't want to use the front panel.

View attachment 1037444

The blind LED hole is also tapped, so depending on the size of the transformer you could consider using that (upside down perhaps).

Thank you very much, Jason. Is the riser panel/baseplate strong enough? It looks great and save trouble DIY but i am using 500VA toroidal transformer and they are quite large and heavy.