Chassis Discussion

Front panel grounding

I had a DUH! moment recently when I noticed that my digitally controlled preamp which I had built in a 2U Pesante was getting glitched by static; that is the Arduino microprocessor inside would sometimes go haywire when I touched the front panel (it is winter here and static is very present).

I have always bonded the baseplates and back panels of the chassis I use to AC ground for safety. However, I neglected to bother with the front aluminum panels, since I assumed - incorrectly - that the mounting screws would take care of it.

WRONG! The paint on the side panels is so good, that the screws are completely insulated and the front panel "floats".

Scraping the paint off of the back of one of the side flange holes and adding a star washer solves this, but you also need to do this at the rear of the enclosure as well. In fact, all painted (and anodized) metal parts need to be bonded to ground.

FWIW - hope this is helpful info.

They're far too thin to be called "heatsinks" with a straight face. Certainly they aren't a real heatsink, so please assume they will do very little in terms of cooling! But they would be effective at drawing away a little bit of heat from a relatively cool-running component you don't want to run warm (we've seen people use them successfully with gainclones, YMMV). We aren't providing a cooling rating for them - please use your discretion when deciding what you are going to do with them.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
For DCG3, Salas said "easily" enough dissipation with the quasi's!

The space saving is temping for a 50w apex power amp. I'll see if Apex guys can help me out.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20210128_085120.jpg
    thumbnail_20210128_085120.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 340

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
There is a very, very large difference between the cooling requirements of a linestage compared to a power amp. The extrusions are not heatsinks, as Gian says.

Depending on them to have any power dissipation in a situation like that is risky.

I want to thank and compliment everyone at Modushop for the excellent work customizing the faceplate of the Deluxe 4U I received today! These guys are top notch, providing much higher quality than anything I've received when trying to save a few dollars by ordering from china.

Gianluca, you're awesome! Keep up the good work!

Attachments

• 4Udesign.jpg
    4Udesign.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 285