Chassis Discussion

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
The determination is that you were sent the wrong bag of screws (they should have been the new bolts that go into the new style of rails (which have weld nuts)). The helpdesk (contact@diyaudiostore.coom) will be in touch with you shortly to resolve this with you to your satisfaction.

Hi, I ordered a mini dissipante chassis and a baseplate. The store shows the baseplate I ordered is supposed to work with the 330x400 chassis, but it is about 3/4" too short on both ends. Is this intended? It does not seem right to have such a large gap on both ends where fingers could enter. It's also not maximizing the use of the internal space of the chassis.

Chassis:
Mini Dissipante 3U - Quantity 1 / 330mm x 400mm / 10mm Black x 1
Baseplate:
Mini Dissipante 330mm wide / 400mm deep (baseplate is 244 x 360 mm) x 1

Attachments

• IMG_8518.jpg
    IMG_8518.jpg
    797.4 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_8517.jpg
    IMG_8517.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 308
I don't think what you're observing is unusual. Your observation is consistent with the arrangement of my 5U Deluxe chassis. It came with cover plates top and bottom to address aesthetics and probing fingers.

Note that the gap can be used to route wiring underneath the baseplate between it and the the cover plate. Some builders do this to minimise EMI from AC power cables. So, it has a useful function. Not sure what else the design caters for.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
That is as designed and gives space for cabling.

Additionally it is worth noting that some (Galaxy?) baseplates, for some configurations, almost have as much blank space as they have coverage. That issue however is due to the large number of possible widths and depths and the pressures on stock and storage space, and the baseplate dimensions are documented in the product listing page.

Unlimited supply.

Honestly this should be the standard depth for anyone building a Class A amp.
It provides optimal cooling and optimal space to fit a solidly built power supply. 400mm is just a little cramped, 450mm kind of ok, 500mm is perfect.

If you build it, I will brain wash them, and they will come.
Hahahahaha

I built an imitation F7 in a 3U Dissipante x 300 mm deep and things fit quite comfortably. The amp is biased at 1.2 amps per side with +/- 23-volt rails and the heatsinks run about 125 - 130 degrees F. This is about the limit for this chassis.

If I were to do a "turbo" version or go with dual transformers, I would definitely go with the 400mm and probably the 4 or 5U.

Attachments

• IMG_0891.jpg
    IMG_0891.jpg
    1,019.4 KB · Views: 291
Last edited: