Chassis Discussion

Hi, I'm interested in a Dissipante 2U and would ideally like to use a baseplate but I've been unable to find anything resembling a mechanical drawing of how the baseplate fits inside this enclosure.

I've reviewed the dimensions listed here Chassis Baseplate (Galaxy, Dissipante, Slimline, Pesante) – diyAudio Store but not enough detail is given.

The dimensions I'm most concerned with are as follows:
- Vertical spacing in the enclosure with the baseplate. How much of the 80mm of internal height are consumed?
- How does the baseplate sit inside the enclosure? Is there space underneath? something else?
- Grid pattern offset internally - Where exactly does this pattern begin relative to the internal walls of the enclosure. It is unclear how the smaller dimensions of the baseplate listed on the link above fit into the internal dimensions of the enclosure.

Thanks for more info.

Ok, I've found the dxf file which was perfect. One small bit of confusion, three panels are shown in the drawing and I'm not clear which is which. The attached image shows the three panels I'm talking about.

I'm guessing the second one down is the rear panel, the third from the top appears to be a front panel. What is the top most one? Are these assumptions correct? Thanks.

Now with actual images

enclosure.png

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
The dimensions I'm most concerned with are as follows:
- Vertical spacing in the enclosure with the baseplate. How much of the 80mm of internal height are consumed?
- How does the baseplate sit inside the enclosure? Is there space underneath? something else?
- Grid pattern offset internally - Where exactly does this pattern begin relative to the internal walls of the enclosure. It is unclear how the smaller dimensions of the baseplate listed on the link above fit into the internal dimensions of the enclosure.

- About 20mm
- You can mount it either way. If you mount it upside down (which I think is nicer, if you can afford the space, you will need to request longer screws to be sent with the chassis
- It's a 10x10mm pattern, with a centered middle hole.

Sorry we don't have more detailed documentation.

Ok, I've found the dxf file which was perfect. One small bit of confusion, three panels are shown in the drawing and I'm not clear which is which. The attached image shows the three panels I'm talking about.

I'm guessing the second one down is the rear panel, the third from the top appears to be a front panel. What is the top most one? Are these assumptions correct? Thanks.

* The top appears to be the back of a 10mm front panel
* The 2nd from the top appears to be a rear panel
* The 3rd from the top appears to be the back of a 4mm rack mount front panel

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for the reply Jason, a couple questions

1. So by mounting the base plate upside down, there is a small gap underneath correct? Per the dxf it appears to be about 8mm which is perfect for a transformer bolt head or something like that.

2. It looks like the hole pattern in the drawing isn't on a 1cm grid like you mention and like I've read elsewhere. I'm assuming the drawing is incorrect? See image.

hole_pattern.png

Btw, I should mention the other internal dimensions appear correct. Although this does raise some concern that the area under the mounting plate is greater than 8mm or so. If it is closer to 20mm like you state, I won't have enough space in the enclosure for my Antek AS-2225 transformers which are about 65mm in height.

Galaxy 2U Aluminum chassis

Hello,

I'm looking at the Galaxy 2U 330 X 230 enclosure. Question do you think I can cut enough of the Galaxy - GX345/348/385/388 baseplate to make it fit? Looks like it mounts with slotted holes, is this so one can change the height at which it mounts off the base cover?

Thanks,
Mad

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Sorry, just noticed these unanswered questions in this thread. I did put in place some processes to ensure "no post left behind" but it looks like they haven't worked.

Thanks for the reply Jason, a couple questions

1. So by mounting the base plate upside down, there is a small gap underneath correct? Per the dxf it appears to be about 8mm which is perfect for a transformer bolt head or something like that.

2. It looks like the hole pattern in the drawing isn't on a 1cm grid like you mention and like I've read elsewhere. I'm assuming the drawing is incorrect? See image.

hole_pattern.png

1. Correct

2. The drawing is incorrect. We invested about $1,000 if I recall in new tooling several years ago to enable a 10mm x 10mm grid for the Deluxe Chassis baseplates. Following on from that, Hifi2000 changed all their other bases to also be on the 10x10 grid, so now there is a lot more compatibility in general and it's easy to plan PCB and other things - just make sure mounting holes are on a 10mm x 10mm grid.

Btw, I should mention the other internal dimensions appear correct. Although this does raise some concern that the area under the mounting plate is greater than 8mm or so. If it is closer to 20mm like you state, I won't have enough space in the enclosure for my Antek AS-2225 transformers which are about 65mm in height.

So your question is, if the base is mounted upside down, what is the distance between the top of the base and the top cover, on a Dissipante 2U? I can have Hifi2000 get the exact figure for you.

Are svg files acceptable for the digital printing service?

Digital Printing – diyAudio Store

Officially it's CSR, AI, EPS, and PDF. I'll find out of they can work with SVG.

Hello,

I'm looking at the Galaxy 2U 330 X 230 enclosure. Question do you think I can cut enough of the Galaxy - GX345/348/385/388 baseplate to make it fit? Looks like it mounts with slotted holes, is this so one can change the height at which it mounts off the base cover?

Thanks,
Mad

Good question. It's poorly designed how the baseplate page expects you to know the SKU but we don't show the SKUS. Definitely something for the todo list... in the meantime, you can add to cart, view source, and search for "sku" to see the SKU...

The Galaxy 2U Aluminum 230x330 SKU is 1NGXA383, which isn't listed as an option. I'll check with Modushop and see what's possible.

Last edited:
Good question. It's poorly designed how the baseplate page expects you to know the SKU but we don't show the SKUS. Definitely something for the todo list... in the meantime, you can add to cart, view source, and search for "sku" to see the SKU...

The Galaxy 2U Aluminum 230x330 SKU is 1NGXA383, which isn't listed as an option. I'll check with Modushop and see what's possible.

So, if I understand this correctly there's a baseplate for Galaxy 330w X 230d, but you can't add it to the cart? Do I have to say it.

Mad

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Ok, the official answer is that there is no baseplate for the Galaxy 2U 230x330 (1NGXA383). The reason is there are very large number of Galaxy sizes, and a line had to be drawn somewhere as to how many of the accessory items would be made. It's great that Hifi2000 offers so many options, but eventually you just fill your warehouse up with parts that are very rarely asked for, so they focus on the ones that are most popular as a priority.

Apologies for not trawling through the entirety of this thread - I'm trying to understand where the Deluxe Chassis CAD files might be located?

I'm forward planning for my post ACA v1.6 build (after more power for my living room setup), thinking of an Aleph J. So, I want to have the option of tweaking the base chassis design on offer with some customisation, hence the interest in CAD files.

I've looked here:
CAD files for customization of chassis panels – diyAudio Store
but the Deluxe chassis is not noted. Is it the same as a Dissipante or something?

I've also looked here:
Deluxe 4U Aluminum – diyAudio Store
and I can't spot any useful links/clues.

This pdf of the back panel is useful:
https://www.diyaudio.com/media/pdf/4u-300-e-back-panel-temporary-diagram.pdf
but it would inspire more confidence if the word "temporary" didn't show up in the file name and there was also the option of grabbing the CAD file. I've got access to design drafters through work, so I'm not totally at sea and I know that there are clever ways of reverse engineering a PDF into a CAD drawing but it's far easier and more reliable to avoid that messing about.

The Modushop by Hi-Fi 2000 | Contenitori per Elettronica | Electronic Enclosures | Hi Fi Chassis website doesn't give me any pointers either (that I can spot).

Assuming the detail I'm asking for is on hand, a suggestion for the store administrator would be to update the CAD file page to cover off the Deluxe Chassis detail. Also, including a link from the Deluxe Chassis page over to the CAD file page wouldn't be a bad idea either. That would be useful for the next intrepid chassis modder who comes along.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I'm trying to understand where the Deluxe Chassis CAD files might be located?

I'm forward planning for my post ACA v1.6 build (after more power for my living room setup), thinking of an Aleph J. So, I want to have the option of tweaking the base chassis design on offer with some customisation, hence the interest in CAD files.

I've looked here:
CAD files for customization of chassis panels – diyAudio Store
but the Deluxe chassis is not noted. Is it the same as a Dissipante or something?

This pdf of the back panel is useful:
https://www.diyaudio.com/media/pdf/4u-300-e-back-panel-temporary-diagram.pdf
but it would inspire more confidence if the word "temporary" didn't show up in the file name and there was also the option of grabbing the CAD file. I've got access to design drafters through work, so I'm not totally at sea and I know that there are clever ways of reverse engineering a PDF into a CAD drawing but it's far easier and more reliable to avoid that messing about.

Assuming the detail I'm asking for is on hand, a suggestion for the store administrator would be to update the CAD file page to cover off the Deluxe Chassis detail. Also, including a link from the Deluxe Chassis page over to the CAD file page wouldn't be a bad idea either. That would be useful for the next intrepid chassis modder who comes along.

And I thought I was the only one with these questions...Well the 4U Deluxe rear panel is 373mm wide, not 380mm. how do I know this, I have two sitting right next to me. I would hope that accurate drawings and diagrams would be best for everyone. I want to order a Galaxy chassis with cnc and printing, but I have doubts about the drawings accuracy to the actual unit.

Mad

And I thought I was the only one with these questions...Well the 4U Deluxe rear panel is 373mm wide, not 380mm. how do I know this, I have two sitting right next to me. I would hope that accurate drawings and diagrams would be best for everyone. I want to order a Galaxy chassis with cnc and printing, but I have doubts about the drawings accuracy to the actual unit.

Mad

Thanks for that bit of intel. Good to know that I didn't miss something majorly obvious. When it comes to metal that's being worked on in another country, I reckon that sub-millimetre tolerances are the order of the day.

Hopefully a few voices will help nudge this along.

Thanks for that bit of intel. Good to know that I didn't miss something majorly obvious. When it comes to metal that's being worked on in another country, I reckon that sub-millimetre tolerances are the order of the day.

Hopefully a few voices will help nudge this along.
Just to be clear, I don't know what their tolerances are for CNC work, but if you want the rear panel printed, the pdf shows 380mm, so if you layout text for this, then 7mm needs to disappear somewhere, this doesn't help. I might be picky about this, but so be it. My mono block amps are in limbo because I need an accurate drawing of the 5U deluxe panel. I was going to use them because they are already milled and I would cover the unused holes with plastic plugs. I thought about using a locate shop for text printing, but hifi2000 does an excellent job at printing, the two front panels look quite good.

Mad

Last edited:
Just to be clear, I don't know what their tolerances are for CNC work, but if you want the rear panel printed, the pdf shows 380mm, so if you layout text for this, then 7mm needs to disappear somewhere, this doesn't help. I might be picky about this, but so be it. My mono block amps are in limbo because I need an accurate drawing of the 5U deluxe panel. I was going to use them because they are already milled and I would cover the unused holes with plastic plugs. I thought about using a locate shop for text printing, but hifi2000 does an excellent job at printing, the two front panels look quite good.

Mad

Yep, a ±3.5 mm tolerance just won't cut it. I hear ya.

I'm lucky enough to be able to link in with some pretty high tech resources:
Fabrication Lab: Makerspace - The Edge
I like the look of the laser cutter for engraving anodised alloy plate and the CNC router for a future speaker build. I might also get some use out of their CRO too. Not bad for a library card and an induction / orientation + fee.

Even so, for the chassis tweaks I'd much rather work up a CAD design and get the crew at HiFi2000 to do a pro job all in one hit. Given the time limits I've got, I'd prefer to avoid double handling where I can. And, I'm pretty sure, I'll be able to sort out the design side with sufficient confidence that I don't need HiFi2000 to help me out. If I get stuck, I'd expect that I'd be out able to sort things out pretty quick with one of the designers at work.

I've also learnt some valuable lessons build the ACA in terms of how this kind of gear goes together physically. So, this time round I'm keen to use CAD tools to do a bit of layout of the internals to give me a clear picture of the end result before I get cracking.

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Long story short - the CAD documentation is limited. If you need to know something, it's best to get it straight from the horses mouth. We do have plans to publish a great, detailed CAD library in the future. The 373 / 380 thing is not a tolerance issue, one of those measurements is wrong. I remember it being an issue from years ago - one of the diagrams was incorrect. It's an example of why if and when we do publish a library, it will be 100% accurate, but that will take some time and there are only so many hours in the day, etc. As you can see in the Modushop .zip downloads, the diagrams included are not very organized, mostly due to them having around 500 different "standard" chassis configurations. We should certainly have some nice drawings for the Deluxe chassis though as a priority. In the meantime, you will have to rely on the UMS and asking specific questions.

So, your requests for good documentation have been heard. If you have specific questions, please contact the helpdesk and we'll ensure you get 100% correct answers.

Last edited: