Chassis Discussion

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

I'm most interested in the 5U / 400mm enclosures but don't want the pre-drilled rear panel offered with the "big ***" variant -- I want my own design, drilled, etched and colored. That means I want an aluminum rear panel. I am less concerned with whether the top and bottom panels are aluminum or steel.

My guess is that the majority of your intended audience would similarly want an aluminum rear panel, simply because they are far easier to work than the steel alternative. Also, Front Panel Express declines to work on steel, which is important to those of us who like their services.

I understand that others may disagree with me on this. My request: if you don't want to abandon the steel rear panels for the aluminum ones, please order additional aluminum 5U rear panels when you place your second order.

Regards,
Scott

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Folks:

I'm most interested in the 5U / 400mm enclosures but don't want the pre-drilled rear panel offered with the "big ***" variant -- I want my own design, drilled, etched and colored. That means I want an aluminum rear panel. I am less concerned with whether the top and bottom panels are aluminum or steel.

My guess is that the majority of your intended audience would similarly want an aluminum rear panel, simply because they are far easier to work than the steel alternative. Also, Front Panel Express declines to work on steel, which is important to those of us who like their services.

I understand that others may disagree with me on this. My request: if you don't want to abandon the steel rear panels for the aluminum ones, please order additional aluminum 5U rear panels when you place your second order.

Regards,
Scott

Hi Scott. My apologies for my poor web design which obviously didn't make it clear that we DO have spare blank back panels. When we add the chassis to the store navigation later today, it will be much clearer that there are spare back panels sitting in the accessories category.

We did plan for this scenario and got the extra blank aluminum back panels for people such as yourself that would want the freedom to do their own thing.

It's a "stop gap" solution we made specifically because we didn't want to order a another line of (big, expensive) 4U and 5U products with the first order. While it's a little more pricey and certainly counter-intuitive to pay more to have an extra blank back panel, it's what we have for now.

The direct link to the 5U back panel is here:

5U Aluminium Solid Back Panel - Accessories - Chassis

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Jason:

This is helpful -- thank you! To be frank, I was hoping that diyaudio would offer options that were in line with what was originally proposed; i.e., I'd like to purchase 5U 400mm enclosures with pre-drilled heatsinks, perforated inner baseplates and aluminum rear panels. I could get there today by buying the "deluxe 5U" chassis and an aluminum rear panel, but would then have a steel panel, IEC and RCA connectors and speaker binding posts that I don't need.

I certainly understand that you guys are going at risk launching something entirely new for the diyaudio community, and you have my earnest appreciation. My hope is that once things stabilize and you have a chance to assess the success of this effort, you'll feel comfortable offering some additional chassis options.

Many, many thanks,
Scott

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Jason:

This is helpful -- thank you! To be frank, I was hoping that diyaudio would offer options that were in line with what was originally proposed; i.e., I'd like to purchase 5U 400mm enclosures with pre-drilled heatsinks, perforated inner baseplates and aluminum rear panels. I could get there today by buying the "deluxe 5U" chassis and an aluminum rear panel, but would then have a steel panel, IEC and RCA connectors and speaker binding posts that I don't need.

I certainly understand that you guys are going at risk launching something entirely new for the diyaudio community, and you have my earnest appreciation. My hope is that once things stabilize and you have a chance to assess the success of this effort, you'll feel comfortable offering some additional chassis options.

Many, many thanks,
Scott

Hi Scott. Actually, you wouldn't have the IEC, RCA and binding posts. They are in a separate pack. You would have a CNC'd back panel though you would have to be creative with.

Definitely offering all-aluminum "DIY" as an option is on the cards. And then, we need to split it into pre-drilled and non-pre-drilled as well! For now, buying the back panel as an extra is the in between solution. We'll definitely look at how sales go, what is selling, what feedback we get, and order next time in line with what you guys are telling us that you want.

Thanks for the feedback.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Would really love to see the "compact" chassis with an option of additional ventillation slots!

The footprint is perfect for many of my projects, and I'm ready to buy three units, but the current vent scheme is insufficient.

BK

Thanks BK. Yes those compact chassis are (IMHO) awesome little things, and they also have little brothers as well which we might stock in the next shipment (we had to draw the line somewhere).

Thanks for the feedback, we'll definitely consider models with additional venting. What kind of venting would you like to see (front to back, left to right, how many rows?) and what are you planning on using them for?

Thanks BK. Yes those compact chassis are (IMHO) awesome little things, and they also have little brothers as well which we might stock in the next shipment (we had to draw the line somewhere).

Thanks for the feedback, we'll definitely consider models with additional venting. What kind of venting would you like to see (front to back, left to right, how many rows?) and what are you planning on using them for?

Glad to see you are on top of things!

I think a few more rows top/bottom (similar to the full-width designs) would be great. Side venting might not be an option with the "quasi" sink feature.

I have a balanced AMB B22 and TP Buffalo/Legato ready to case up.

BK

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I would like to order one but only if you offer more affordable shipping options. To get one here in Canada, UPS will charge near $100.00 for brokerage fees, so this is $150.00 with the shippng fees... I would like to have standard USPS option.

Brokerage fees, the bane of our existence! Our fulfillment center can indeed ship with USPS Priority and Express Mail International (manually), but the option to do so will not show up because it's more expensive than UPS. We've spent a fair bit of time tweaking the system to show all relevant options, but we are always happy to look into making sure that the best shipping options are available for your country. Just let us know if you think we could be doing better. I will see what can be done for Canada to get USPS Priority to show up for these large chassis.

If you would like to order with USPS just contact the helpdesk with what you would like to order and we can manually give you a quote and invoice you with PayPal. Not ideal, but it can be done for now and we are happy to help.

USPS Priority Mail International does come with tracking for large boxes (but not Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelopes or Priority Mail International Small Flat Rate Priced Boxes), so we're all good.

For reference, here are some sample charges, for the standard chassis which contain more steel and therefore the heaviest:

5U Standard Chassis - 26.0” x 20.0” x 4.0” LWH, 31.2 LBS
Vancouver - UPS $48.65, USPS Priority Mail International $116.87
Toronto - UPS $56.54, USPS Priority Mail International: $116.87

4U Standard Chassis - 26.0” x 20.0” x 4.0” LWH, 23.6 LBS
Vancouver - UPS: $43.58, USPS Priority Mail International: $94.43
Totronto UPS: $47.20, USPS Priority Mail International: $94.43

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi.

Can you give an indication of postage to Wellington, New Zealand for the 4u and 5u chasis? ( cheapest option please)

Cheers!

Ravi

Hi Ravi. To get the cheapest shipping quote, add whatever items you like to your cart and then using the shipping estimator (see image). It will give you the cheapest standard and premium/express postage options. If you would like a quote from a specific carrier (which will always be more expensive, as our shipping estimator will always show you the cheapest options), just let us know.

The issue of which service will give you the least customs headaches is another matter and comes down to personal taste and collective experience. If people would like to share their experiences (such as Pete, above, commenting that UPS will charge a formula of x% and y$ fixed fee on top of standard customs), you're welcome to make those comments in this thread or the general store thread. Please note that as we use a fulfillment service we can't adjust the values of the items on the commercial invoice, and they are used for the insurance as well.

Attachments

• how to find the shipping rater.png
    how to find the shipping rater.png
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,806
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Any problems with using high current transformers with steel chassis panels?

You'll need to ask someone smarter than me :)

Thanks Jason, USPS Priority Mail International is not cheap either but it will be cheaper at the end than UPS.

The system has now been updated. It will now always show an option from USPS for international orders! It will always try for USPS First Class International, but if that isn't available due to the value, size or weight, it will then be forced to show USPS Priority International or USPS Express International options, which is just about perfect as far as a range of speed and prices go.

You're right - these are very nice little cases! I will find a way to add ventillation if required.

Ordered three on 10/19 and received them today 10/24. Great quality and packaging.

One small suggestion for the store....list the exterior and all interior dimensions.

BK