Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Chassis Discussion
Chassis Discussion
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2018, 01:56 PM   #631
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Chassis Discussion
Those big plastic feet are for heavier things like the power amp chassis.

Also, they mount to the chassis in a way that a Galaxy's construction can't accommodate because of the aluminum extrusions - they screw into the bent metal frame rails that the heatsinks are attached to in a Dissipante, for example.
Old 16th December 2018, 03:16 PM   #632
McQuaide is offline McQuaide  United States
diyAudio Member

Feet problem solved.

Click the image to open in full size.

I see the back can't go on until the top is on. Am I doing this right?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 16th December 2018, 09:26 PM   #633
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Chassis Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQuaide View Post
I've bought several chassis from the store, and this is the first time I've been disappointed in HiFi2000. The order form for the Galaxy clearly states that feet are included, but no feet were in the package and Jason says they are not included (just bumpers which are shorter than a transformer bolt head). In addition, there were no sheet metal screws to hold the covers on, so I guess I'll pick some up at the hardware store and paint them black (Rolling Stones reference unintentional).
Thanks for writing into the helpdesk email ticket system yesterday. As I said in my reply to your helpdesk ticket yesterday:

1. Yes feet are included and those bumpers are the feet. Hifi2000 has been selling the Galaxy chassis for decades without any major changes and it has always been this way. A while back they upgraded the feet (bumpers) from a harder material to the current hemispherical ones which IMO have a softer more squishy feel and I prefer them. They are both "small feet" however, and I will certainly document this better in the future.

The rub is that to stick the Pesante Dissipante feet on 90% of Galaxy chassis (ie: small ones) would be overkill and they would be grossly oversized. I think the issue here is you've bought one of the largest Galaxy chassis and for that size it falls in between the use cases for the two different kinds of feet.

2. When you asked about the missing screws, I requested you send a photo of what you got so we could ascertain if something was (a) missing in which case we would would send an immediately replacement for the missing screws, or (b) this was a case of the included assembly manual not being super intuitive.

From the conversation here it looks like it was the latter in this case. I do apologize that we don't have assembly videos of each chassis yet, this is something I would like to do in 2019 for sure, and it would in this case have both shown the style of feet included as well as shown how to assemble the chassis. You're not the first person to be confused about how to assemble a Hifi2000 case.

Thank you for your past and present patronage of the store and I'm sorry about the lack of good instructional medium in this case (pun intended).

Last edited by Jason; 16th December 2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 17th December 2018, 04:28 PM   #634
McQuaide is offline McQuaide  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Thanks for writing into the helpdesk email ticket system yesterday. As I said in my reply to your helpdesk ticket yesterday:

1. Yes feet are included and those bumpers are the feet. Hifi2000 has been selling the Galaxy chassis for decades without any major changes and it has always been this way. A while back they upgraded the feet (bumpers) from a harder material to the current hemispherical ones which IMO have a softer more squishy feel and I prefer them. They are both "small feet" however, and I will certainly document this better in the future.

The rub is that to stick the Pesante Dissipante feet on 90% of Galaxy chassis (ie: small ones) would be overkill and they would be grossly oversized. I think the issue here is you've bought one of the largest Galaxy chassis and for that size it falls in between the use cases for the two different kinds of feet.

2. When you asked about the missing screws, I requested you send a photo of what you got so we could ascertain if something was (a) missing in which case we would would send an immediately replacement for the missing screws, or (b) this was a case of the included assembly manual not being super intuitive.

From the conversation here it looks like it was the latter in this case. I do apologize that we don't have assembly videos of each chassis yet, this is something I would like to do in 2019 for sure, and it would in this case have both shown the style of feet included as well as shown how to assemble the chassis. You're not the first person to be confused about how to assemble a Hifi2000 case.

Thank you for your past and present patronage of the store and I'm sorry about the lack of good instructional medium in this case (pun intended).

Hi Jason, thanks for the response. I had some pads on hand that make good feet, and I understand now how the case goes together (different from the Pesante I bought recently. I jumped the gun on my post.
Old 31st December 2018, 04:52 PM   #635
phelpsw is offline phelpsw
diyAudio Member

Please see attached for some models I made of the Dissipante 2U, 3U and 4U 400mm chassis with a 10mm faceplate and 3mm Al panels. These were created from a 2U chassis I purchased and was able to use to identify differences between the dwg files available on diyaudio store. I haven't validated the 3U and 4U models against the physical hardware. It would be great to learn about any errors in the models.

Model in Onshape: Onshape

The step file zips are slightly to large to post here, instead are links to google drive.

2U Step File: 2U.zip - Google Drive

3U Step File: 3U.zip - Google Drive

4U Step File: 4U.zip - Google Drive

Hopefully useful for somebody else! Happy New Year.
Old 14th January 2019, 04:29 AM   #636
wcwc is offline wcwc  United States
diyAudio Member

I like the Deluxe Amp Chassis offering, but would prefer a blank back panel since I am using Powercons and speakons. So the only way to get the deluxe chassis with blank back panel is to get the Deluxe chassis and a blank back panel or buy each of the parts separately 4U dissipante chasis, UMS heat sinks substitution, and baseplate (am I missing something)?
Old 14th January 2019, 04:35 AM   #637
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Chassis Discussion
There's no way to order that directly through the website, but if you email contact@diyaudiostore.com we can make you up a custom invoice for this. A choose-your-own-adventureŽ style chassis configurator is on the cards for the future, and in the meantime we could add a substitution for this option, but it's not a common request so it hasn't been done to date.
Old 28th February 2019, 08:54 PM   #638
akras is offline akras  United States
diyAudio Member

What are the size and position of the row of holes in the default aluminum cover of the 350 mm deep Slimline chassis? If you can show a drawing, it would be super helpful; otherwise, I'm mostly interested in the distance marked by the question mark in the attached drawing.

Thank you!

Cover_question.jpg

Last edited by akras; 28th February 2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 1st March 2019, 08:43 AM   #639
Viz is offline Viz
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akras View Post
What are the size and position of the row of holes in the default aluminum cover of the 350 mm deep Slimline chassis? If you can show a drawing, it would be super helpful; otherwise, I'm mostly interested in the distance marked by the question mark in the attached drawing.

Thank you!

Attachment 739648

There's about 29,8 - 29,9 cm from the end of the vent holes to the edge of the cover
Old 1st March 2019, 09:21 AM   #640
akras is offline akras  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks!

Chassis DiscussionHide this!Advertise here!