Chassis Discussion

@Gianluca I got the 4U mini Pessante I ordered last week. These came with the heatsink frames. with the new frames I ordered last week. Holes don't line up for the face plate. I think I can fix what I got as I have a drill and files. Posting in case it will help future versions.

Attachments

• 1595.jpg
    1595.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1591.jpeg
    IMG_1591.jpeg
    418.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1592.jpeg
    IMG_1592.jpeg
    435.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1593.jpeg
    IMG_1593.jpeg
    441.2 KB · Views: 53
On the faceplate that was shipped, the inner tapped holes are further apart than the outer holes by 5mm. The heatsink frames will screw on to the outer holes but this sets the frames to wide to mount the back/bottom/top plates.

The inner holes set the chassis width correctly but they are 5mm further apart then the outer holes so I can't screw the heatsink frame to it.

This is for a mini-D chassis. Posting a couple more pics to help. If there are more pics that you think will illustrate the problem, I can post. Let me know.
IMG_1599.jpg
IMG_1600.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I am planning to fix by elongating the holes on the frames. Will take time but have a small file set. Not sure I want to try a hand drill as the bit will want to wander into the current hole given the proximity. Maybe I'll go get a dremel to make short work of it. Let me know if this is not advised.

Main intent of posting was so you could review your CAD & CNC files to make sure hole spacing is correct for future mini-D customers. It is a wonderfully compact platform for the 1st Watt clones.

I am planning to fix by elongating the holes on the frames. Will take time but have a small file set. Not sure I want to try a hand drill as the bit will want to wander into the current hole given the proximity. Maybe I'll go get a dremel to make short work of it. Let me know if this is not advised.

Main intent of posting was so you could review your CAD & CNC files to make sure hole spacing is correct for future mini-D customers. It is a wonderfully compact platform for the 1st Watt clones.

It seems like this problem only happens with the new side rails and the front panels of the Mini Dissipante 4U and 5U. Thank you for pointing this out, we are going to find a solution so other customers don't have the same issue

Do you have a 5U Mini Dissipante? I didn't see it on the website. Would it be available in a 250mm depth?

Do you sell the brackets separately for a Galaxy 10mm front plate with the hidden screws? I have a 2U front plate from a Mini D that I would like to repurpose to use on a galaxy chassis.

Finally had time to install the new heatsink frames. They have solved the odd "tink" from thermal expansion/contraction when warming up/cooling down my FW F4 clones. Well worth the effort.

If anyone wants the old ones, shoot me a PM. I've got 4 pair in the parts bin for "recycling".

Attachments

• IMG_1940.JPG
    IMG_1940.JPG
    615.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1942.JPG
    IMG_1942.JPG
    578.6 KB · Views: 50
So symmetrical. The M2x boards have been sitting here, unbuilt for a few months now. I keep coming back to the realization that the F4s are wonderful. Next up is a couple of balanced versions of the ACA mini for summer use. Something that will fit in a couple of 2U mini-Dissipantes. The full-size FWs are nice for Philly winters, maybe not so for Philly summers.