Chassis Discussion

Hi Diyfamily,

Gianluca and Modushop are top class.

2x Galaxy chassis' for a phono stage arrived within a few days to west coast USA.
CNC work is perfect. A small damage to top panel was sorted promptly with a replacement. Phenomenal customer service.

much much appreciated, can recommend without reservation.
I want to build something again to give you and the diyaudiostore more business!

Often the spacer has internal threads at both ends, which accept a screw either upward from under
the bottom of the chassis, or downward through the top of the pcb. Use steel or aluminum spacers,
and screws made of matching material.

Certain special spacers can be force-fit into a precision blind hole (not all the way through the panel),
but this requires special tooling.
Spacers, Standoffs: Keystone Electronics

I finally had the time to properly look into this. So how are PCBs and internal heatsinks / EM shields mounted inside a Modushop chassis for example?

PCBs with female-female spacers and a screw head is visible at the bottom of the chassis? Not that I'd care too much about how it looks, I just want to understand how is it.

And how about those grey aluminium separators / heatsinks / EM shieds, you can usually see between PSUs and amplifier circuits?

Is it possible to get Aluminum top and bottom covers for the 4U Deluxe Chassis (300mm depth) with a perforated hole pattern for improved ventilation? I am fine if this is only possible with the steel covers too. If this is possible, how should I order these? Also, what would the cost be?

Thanks

Not slots, but round holes in a pattern like this:

8C207F0B-9C2B-4114-8A30-65AB509C8F8A.jpeg

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Not slots, but round holes in a pattern like this:

View attachment 865260

The "maximally vented" panels (6 rows of vents) are the most that was determined that you could take out of an aluminum panel and it still have structural integrity. However your design with circles might allow for other possibilities. Please email contact@diyaudiostore.com and Gianluca can have a deeper discussion about this with you. Probably the holes will need to be smaller or the gaps between them larger than what you show.

Steel is heavier and stronger (which would allow for less material to be remaining) but a custom steel design cannot be produced by CNC and must be punched out, and will have a MOQ (minimum order quantity) of around 20 units.

Is it possible to reduce the price of the Deluxe 5U Aluminum chassis by requesting heatsinks without pre-drilled holes and with plain front and back panels?

What you describe is a stock 5U x 400 Dissipante, if you then add a baseplate and maximally vented 3mm aluminum covers.

Last edited:
Good Evening

I am looking a wee bit of advice please.

It is my intention to build a 10 channel amplifier. Each stereo channel is about 170 mm in width and 90 mm in height.

The following chassis comes to my mind.
Dissipante 5U – diyAudio Store

Is it possible to squeeze three of these PCBs on each side based on the
40 mm heatsink 200 mm * 210 mm?

Please advice.

Thank you

Yeshu26

I am trying to better understand the specifications for the 5U 400mm heatsink. I have seen the spec. that show a 0.14C/W thermal resistance for the full 400mm sink. The fin pitch is specified as 6mm. What I do not know is the fin height and the fin thickness. Making some guesses about these parameters and running a natural convection heatsink simulation program I get much higher estimates for the thermal resistance, more like 0.19C/W.