F-5 boards

Parts in Europe

To the European F-5 builders: How did you source the JFETs / parts that have to be matched?

Ordering everything from the US (diyaudio and/or punkydawgs) gets prohibitively expensive once you add shipping + tariffs + VAT + handling fee.

My plan was to order the boards from diyaudio and source the other components locally, but I'm struggling a bit to find the correct parts.

Help! Instead of buying a matched set of (2) 170s and (2) 74s from Punkydawg, I apparently ordered a matched set of (4) 74s by accident. So if I buy a matched set of (4) 170s can I use them with the 74s I already have or do the 74s need to be matched to the 170s to work correctly in the F5?

Help! Instead of buying a matched set of (2) 170s and (2) 74s from Punkydawg, I apparently ordered a matched set of (4) 74s by accident. So if I buy a matched set of (4) 170s can I use them with the 74s I already have or do the 74s need to be matched to the 170s to work correctly in the F5?

Is your question : what has to be paired ?
One 74s with one 170s ?
Or, one 74s with one 74s , idem for the 170s ?
In others words , pairs have to be made by board or by jfet types ?

I guess it is by types but I would appreciate someone make it clear.

This is what I got for matched FETs. I guess you can assume they all need to be matched to each other looking at the numbers and the fact the N and P are in their own bags. Not a P/N combination in each bag. I am NO expert on this though. I am a simple assembler working hard to understand the what/why behind all this black magic while trying to keep the smoke in.

Attachments

• Matched 74 174 P N Fets.jpg
    Matched 74 174 P N Fets.jpg
    605 KB · Views: 238
This is what I got for matched FETs. I guess you can assume they all need to be matched to each other looking at the numbers and the fact the N and P are in their own bags. Not a P/N combination in each bag. I am NO expert on this though. I am a simple assembler working hard to understand the what/why behind all this black magic while trying to keep the smoke in.

So you confirm my thought, thanks.
Personnally I would try to keep the smoke out :D

No. The smoke comes pre-installed. There is only a problem when you see it leak out. Believe me... I R A expert.

The waiting for the Italians to get back to work and ship me my Chassis is killing me. It's all I need to finish the F5. I work for a very large corporation based in Germany. I think the entire company should be on the same vacation schedule and I vote for theirs. Only fair, right?

Last edited: