Speaker Turn On Delay and DC Protector Board Set (V2)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
power supply confusion

hi guys, I know my question is a stupid question but I'm stuck. I've built my F5, it's working, sounds good, and I don't have any power on thump. So I'd like to add the dc protection board. Can I connect the X1,2 (power in of the dc protect board) to the f5 power supply (24v)? Can I share the same power supply?

The build guide links to the wrong file. Could you please link the proper build guide for the DC protect board?

The link for the "build guide" at Post #1 is indeed the wrong one. (....it links to the "Soft Start", not the "Speaker Protector".)

I've never seen the build guide for "Speaker Protector".

I'm wondering what the Green LED is supposed to indicate.
I assume it's just a "power ON" indicator.
If so, my boards (V3) are working properly.....I get perhaps 4 second delay to close/enable the relays.

Last edited:
Hi All, I hope someone can give me some guidance here I have just finished filling the speaker protector board V2 and starting to test. When powered up led 2 is lit and led 1 is lit steady but does not flash as it is supposed to. The relays engage. Both DMM do read zero resistance. When I do the DC protection test I do not hear the relays disengage, no protection! I have checked the orientation of the transistors these are ok. I have used all the suggested components on the BOM. Transistors for T1 to T5 are KSC945CGBU and if i have read the spec sheet correctly have a pin orientation of ECB, and T6 is an 512-MPSA06 and pin orientation is EBC, so all transistors match the board layout. What else can i check to see what is wrong?

I used this one for T6

MPSA06 Central Semiconductor | Mouser

And these for T1-T5

2N5232A Central Semiconductor | Mouser

I'll check the resistors one more time but I think they are right. I just went over the Mouser BOM I used, and all the right values were ordered.

Sorry for the giant photo...

Quoting myself here, I dug the speaker protector out of a drawer (I had given up) and found a simple bad solder joint. The unit now works as advertised and passes the test when connecting the amp in to D6.

Is there a good way to test this board with a battery? At what DC voltage should the relay open?

Most will trigger @ 1.5Vdc from a battery.
Some will trigger slowly at this voltage, others trigger quickly.

The real test is to apply a half power to full power signal from the power amplifier and slowly decrease the frequency from 100Hz to 5Hz and see if it triggers cleanly when the frequency is below 20Hz. You don't want false triggering of audio frequencies that could be valid signals.

Most will trigger @ 1.5Vdc from a battery.
Some will trigger slowly at this voltage, others trigger quickly.

The real test is to apply a half power to full power signal from the power amplifier and slowly decrease the frequency from 100Hz to 5Hz and see if it triggers cleanly when the frequency is below 20Hz. You don't want false triggering of audio frequencies that could be valid signals.

Dumb question, but how is the battery connected? Negative to the amp circuit ground?

Hi All, I hope someone can give me some guidance here I have just finished filling the speaker protector board V2 and starting to test. When powered up led 2 is lit and led 1 is lit steady but does not flash as it is supposed to. The relays engage. Both DMM do read zero resistance. When I do the DC protection test I do not hear the relays disengage, no protection! I have checked the orientation of the transistors these are ok. I have used all the suggested components on the BOM. Transistors for T1 to T5 are KSC945CGBU and if i have read the spec sheet correctly have a pin orientation of ECB, and T6 is an 512-MPSA06 and pin orientation is EBC, so all transistors match the board layout. What else can i check to see what is wrong?

I'm having exactly the same issues with my V2 board. I don't have a record of what parts I used but I too followed the V2 build guide. What did you do to fix?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.