Mezmerize B1 Buffer Preamp

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It has Mezmerize version by CRT printed on it, are there any circuit differences or is It just component value differences?

In old Mez boards the mounting points are not compatible with 10mm x 10mm perforated plate matrix and the Voltage reference branches run mismatched currents by design. Better voiced for lower PSU bias with 2x68R. You may notice one five LEDS row glows bit brighter than the other. That's normal in those boards. But they work at 200mA as well.

In old Mez boards the mounting points are not compatible with 10mm x 10mm perforated plate matrix and the Voltage reference branches run mismatched currents by design. Better voiced for lower PSU bias with 2x68R. You may notice one five LEDS row glows bit brighter than the other. That's normal in those boards. But they work at 200mA as well.

OK thanks, I've combined the two BOMS to create one I'm happy with.

With the led's with the Mezmerize do they have to be matched? if they do are the ones from the 10-year bom suitable for this?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
OK thanks, I've combined the two BOMS to create one I'm happy with.

With the led's with the Mezmerize do they have to be matched? if they do are the ones from the 10-year bom suitable for this?

The ones from the ten year edition's BOM (WP113IDT) are suitable and consistent enough for any edition so you may skip the matching step with them. In the past with random/generic red Led types it was advisable to check their individual VF and match.

Hello guys a couple of questions from my side:

1) Is this build approachable by somebody who is skilled with welding but lacks electronic knowledge? I see that the PCB has all the indications so I guess it should be fine for a noobie.

2) Any hints about an italian store where it's possible to source all the components or any store that ships worldwide?

Thank you very much :)

Buonasera,

when you follow the instructions closely I am sure you can build one. Before doing something stupid/uncertain better ask here on the forum.

I am sure there are electronics online stores in Italy, but otherwise Mouser and Digikey are your friend, only to name the biggest ones. You have a minimum order of usually about 60€ (?), and shipping from the US can be as quick as 2 days.

Buonasera,

when you follow the instructions closely I am sure you can build one. Before doing something stupid/uncertain better ask here on the forum.

I am sure there are electronics online stores in Italy, but otherwise Mouser and Digikey are your friend, only to name the biggest ones. You have a minimum order of usually about 60€ (?), and shipping from the US can be as quick as 2 days.

Ciao Stixx,

thank you very much :)

Joined 2017
Paid Member
10 yrs after BOM: output relay circuit area generic resistors

Salas (or anyone else :))
I am slowly starting the build of the B1 10yrsafter. I already had most of the parts ordered back in march.

Now I realize I messed with the resistors in the output relay circuit area.

Ignorant as I was/am, I got a whole set of either 1/10W, 1/4W and 1/2W resistors, all Ohmite Carbon Composition Resistors, and a 270r 1W Yageo Metal Oxide Resistor...

I'm still inexperienced about resistor's qualities, and don't even know why I bought these instead of classic Vishay Dale resistors.

Are these ok?
Thanks very much

david

myleftear,

I am only a month ahead of you so please do not take what I say as the be all end all. There are far better qualified people on this forum to speak to your questions.

Having qualified my response, if it were me, I would make sure that the 8 resistors around the relay in the center of the board are high quality. I just looked over the BOM and I think the reason metal film resistors are specified is they generate less noise than generic resistors.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Those are the audio path resistors:

Signal area 50ppm Dale resistors:
221R (4pcs) CMF60221R00FHEK
221k (2pcs) CMF60221K00FHEK
1M (2pcs) CMF601M0000FHEK

(Copied from the 2018 BOM + notes)

Dale 50ppm are very good spec still logically priced parts. If someone wants to splash out on Z-Foils and the like, all low noise resistors are acceptable as long as they stick to the same values. Standard 220R and 220k values are as good. Volume pot quality is more influential though and comes first in line.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Output relay circuit area generic resistors…

Thanks for replying so quickly.
I was referring to the part of the BOM (here) where it states, rather "dry":) :
«Output relay circuit area generic resistors:
0.25W or 0.5W: 10k (1pc) 47k (1pc) 2.2k (1pc)
1W: 270R (2pcs) only for using 5V relays,» […]

While the resistors in the signal- and PSU-area have Parts-Number (which I matched), the relay circuit's resistors aren't specific besides the required value...

I got myself 3 sets of each resistor, at 1/10W, 1/4W and 1/2W, all Ohmite Carbon Composition Resistors, plus a 270r 1W Yageo Metal Oxide Resistor...

Those are the audio path resistors:

Signal area 50ppm Dale resistors:
221R (4pcs) CMF60221R00FHEK
221k (2pcs) CMF60221K00FHEK
1M (2pcs) CMF601M0000FHEK

(Copied from the 2018 BOM + notes)

This is good:
… very good spec still logically priced parts. …

I have got myself a nice 25k Precision Electronics Corporation KKA2531S28), does the 25k Omhs require any adaptation of any values?

Thanks very much!
david

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Now I see some light

Thank you, Salas, for clarifying
You could make the 221k resistors 270k. Those are located across dcb1's input paralleling the 25k pot. Not critical, but to keep the ratio as if it was a 20k pot.

Because they are not important. They are for the relay's coil timer/driver.

You don't need the 270R if your relays are 12V. Put a jumper in its place.

I'll bug you a little more about 2 or 3 other finicky details, but for now I think it is enough.
Thank you for your patience!

david

I have one of the smaller, black chassis power supplies that was part of a Pass Labs XONO phono stage. I have it deeply buried in storage and have just remembered that I have it. I am about to build my power stage for the Mez B1 and would prefer not to rummage around for the unit if the following question proves fruitless: Does anyone know what voltages this XONO power supply kicks out? I'd love to re-purpose it for the Mez B1 if possible. Thank you!

Please forgive me for the question above and ignore it. I have too many projects going at once and have confused them.

I would like to know, however, if some benefit might accrue to having the power supply housed in a separate chassis, moving the rectifiers and reservoir caps there from the Mez B1 pcb, or would this be a wasted effort with this design that has no gain stage at all?