Mezmerize B1 Buffer Preamp

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
50VA transformer is fine for the usual DCB1 settings. 15-0-15 VAC secondary.

Constant current bias of this PSU circuit is determined by voltage drop across the legs of the setting resistance divided by its Ohmic value. Usually 160-175mA for 10 Ohm. Exact voltage drop over the setting resistance depends on some active parts tolerances. Its the reflected difference of three red Leds added forward drop Vf minus the Mosfet Vgs developing between legs 1 and 3.

Hi
Just finished my build of the Mezmerize
Tested good until I looked at DC offset

Power 9.76 and -9.78
Volt drop across 64R pair - 1.796 and 1.767
Offset Left 9.1mV and Right 3.3mV

The matched Jfets were 10.64mA, 10.54mA, 10.72mA and 10.85mA shown as the order fitted Left to Right

Where do I go from here all looks good except the 9.1mV offset on the left channel .
When I built this I was lucky to get 200 red led's as specified in the BOM. I didn't do any measurements using them straight from the bag

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You can even install female socket pins if you got any.
To can exchange JFETs freely now and in the future.

lXhyd.jpg

I am unable to source 2SK117BL / 2SK170BL / LSK170 in Europe.
I've found some retailers but none of them look trustworthy.
Has anyone recently bought these JFETS in Europe?

Is there an alternative for that trio to use in the PSU area? I already have a matched quad for signal path.

---

Choosing a pot.
Would you recommend me getting a 20k ALPS pot or use a 100k TKD pot which I already have. I am aware that I will need to change the RGnd to 1M or so.
I am not sure of the higher impedance effect for the DAC/Phono stage. I keep my interconnects rather short, less than 50cm.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Can you solder SMD JFETs on mini-pcb adapters? If yes, get 2SK209-GR from Mouser. They are OK for the PSU section. Very consistent for IDSS from sample to sample also.

The TKD pot is subjectively superior to the ALPS value for value. 100k pot simply narrows the bandwidth vs 20k pot because of the preamp's input capacitance. Fortunately its an intrinsically wide bandwidth circuit because small JFET buffer and it will not overtly slow it down. Higher impedance is also more susceptible to interference.

In few words try your expensive TKD first and if you will feel the music's transients sound rounder than you like get a 20-25k pot of your preference.

Mouser No:
757-2SK209GRTE85LF
For adapter boards search:
SOT23-3 to DIP SIP3 Adapter

Welp, I will go through the list of friends from USA potentially visiting Europe in the upcoming months and can get me LSK170 rather than attempting to solder 2sk209 :)

---

If I need just 3 pairs of inputs, do I still have to solder in all the relays and diodes? I am aware that one can set a stopper on the selector to keep the required number of turns.
---

None of the caps suggested on BOM are available on Mouser.
I have come up with these replacements. Do you think these are right matches? First DIY project, might be overthinking this a lot.

UFW1V472MHD - UFW1H472MRD Diameter is larger by 2mm. Might have to solder the legs and move the capacitors outside of the board like the mosfets. Or i might be able just to pull caps closer to the edge by a couple mms

UFG1V101MPM - UFG1H101MPM

EEU-FC1H101B - UFG1V101MPM

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You can solder exactly as many relays and diodes as many inputs you need.

1mm around excess I think it will fit.

Don't move capacitors away from the board. Just Keep them bit higher on the board if their bases would collide with some other nearby part's pin.

I am unable to source 2SK117BL / 2SK170BL / LSK170 in Europe.
I've found some retailers but none of them look trustworthy.
Has anyone recently bought these JFETS in Europe?

Is there an alternative for that trio to use in the PSU area? I already have a matched quad for signal path.

---

I have genue matched Toshiba SK117GR for sale ( 2of them in paralel are slight better verson of SK170BL- less capacistance , slight lower impedance, and slight higher gain)