Mezmerize B1 Buffer Preamp

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
For the 4700 uF caps, is the lead spacing 7mm or 7.5mm? Is the minimum voltage rating 25V or 35V? For the 100 uF caps, is the min voltage rating 25V or 35V? Transistors: BC-560 B or C PNP - TO92 BC-556/7/8/9 Alternatives to BC-560B/C Am I to interpret that I only need one of these transistors? (it's laid out like you need both). Looking at the board, it looks like just one 560? Resistors: 600R or 300R. I use these ONLY if I have the 5V relays? Sorry for the questions, I just want to make sure I place the correct order.

The 4700uF are 7.5mm lead spacing. 25-35V rated. 35V is better if using 15+15V transformer. (12+12V transformer allows no sinking, 15+15V is preferred against low mains regional problems or when hot rod CCS mod is planned).

The 100uF are 5mm lead spacing, 25V rated, in any case.

All BC5xx transistors in B or C hfe category are OK. C is better.
Either BC560 or BC556-9 (one of those numbers) are OK. See attachment.
You need 2X BC550, 1XBC560, 1XBC517 in total.

About the parallel resistors duet (their total value is in series with the relays rail) choice: Use 2X300R 0.5W or 2X270R 0.5W for all relays=5V (2X270R better for covering all relay brands not only NAIS).
Use jumpers for all relays=12V. Don't mix 5V and 12V relays. Use the non-latching type relays in any case.

Attachments

• bc558.pdf
    55.3 KB · Views: 242
I'm down to the last few components but need some more help. 1) Heatsink for 7812 (12V regulator) Mouser # 532-6043PB Not sold/recommended. Is there a decent mounting kit and/or clip for a TO-247 package? 2) I'm going to go with a 2x15V, 50VA Antek (AS-0515 - 50VA 15V Transformer - AnTek Products Corp) Would this be appropriate? 3) 750mA T (Slow) 115V fuse I'm really lost on this one. What is "T"? Can someone point me towards one from Mouser (and, if possible a holder?)? 4) IRFP240/9240 Heatsinking. I see plenty of pics of people using their case as a heatsink. With a standard Mezmerize build, is this OK? If not, can someone point me to a decent TO-220 kit? I have everything else ready from Mouser and Digikey and have the Jfets sourced as well. Thanks in advance for any and all help. Edit- No matter what I do, on this thread only, the formatting is off. I lay everything out neatly but it all bunches up in one lump after I submit. I don't seem to have this issue on other threads (e.g Aleph J build guide thread). What gives?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The 7812 is a typical TO-220 chip reg. Like the LM317, but fixed voltage. Any small clip on sink for those types will cater.
That Antek is alright. If 0.75A slow blow primary in line fuse is recommended for it, then:
Fuse & holder
The TO-247AC IRFP240/9240 MOSFETS will be OK sinked on the case's floor for currents about 200mA or there. Use Silpad back insulators. The bolts can be normal metal ones without extra measures since such plastic case type allows no electrical contact to the semi's tab around the top fix insert.

Thanks, Salas!

Got the fuse and holder, found this clip-on for the TO-220:

CLP-212G Aavid Thermalloy | Mouser

Mouser # 532-CLP212G

Does it just clip directly over the regulator? Do I need some sort of sil-pad? I thought it was bad having direct metal contact to the back of a device or, is it because it's floating, I won't have contact to case/ground? The Mouser catalog shows it clipped to the device and something else, just not sure what that something else is.

I didn't realize the MOSFETS were plastic-cased, which makes sense now. Thank you.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Those MOSFETS backs are exposed metal tabs. Its just their front side and eyelets are insulated.

That reg won't need insulation unless there is danger you go short from its tab/sink to chassis or PCB ground with some probe or wire. Never heard anybody saying he toasted a 7812 on a Mez or Hypno due to a short by now. Check if part # 532-534302B35 fits the space around it as it is better thermally to dissipate the power drop across it form 15V Tx rectified level to 12V when two relays are drawing from the 7812.

About the parallel resistors duet (their total value is in series with the relays rail) choice: Use 2X300R 0.5W or 2X270R 0.5W for all relays=5V (2X270R better for covering all relay brands not only NAIS).
Use jumpers for all relays=12V. Don't mix 5V and 12V relays. Use the non-latching type relays in any case.

The 12V relays (in both the mez & the hyp) use the extra dropping resistor intended for the 5V relays.

Are you two talking about the same resistors?

The two resistors marked: NOTE 2x 600
These are intended to drop the 12V from the reg to the 5V required by a 5V relay.

I use those same resistors to drop the 15V from the reg to ~7.5V to feed my 12V relays.
This current saving saves a lot of current especially on a Mez.
But to implement it you must all fit the extra capacitor to "fire" the relay.

The two resistors marked: NOTE 2x 600
These are intended to drop the 12V from the reg to the 5V required by a 5V relay.

That part I got. :)

I use those same resistors to drop the 15V from the reg to ~7.5V to feed my 12V relays.
This current saving saves a lot of current especially on a Mez.
But to implement it you must all fit the extra capacitor to "fire" the relay.

This part is interesting. If I'm using a 2x15V transformer, but keeping all the caps the same as a standard Mez, would I need to drop the voltage with the resistors as well? Assuming I'm using the standard regulator, it would only be 12V, so I think I've answered my own question (the answer being no).

is it possible to "hot rod" thé Mezmerize also?

I wonder as it seems that thé hot rodding really makes difference.

I need atleast 4 different inputs and something that is complete with build guide as a preamp, and thé mezmerize seems to be really good.

Just hoping it's possible to hot rod it too..

For down to 8.2R 3W per side setting resistors and circa 200mA will hold for reliability and rectification/filtering capacity as built standard. A 50VA 15+15VAc Tx will suffice. Keep the bridge diodes bit off board for air to can move around them.

So that would be enough for hot rodding the mezmerize?

Yes, more it would stress it enough. When going for more than 0.2A on the specific board it needs TO-220s botch job, leg trick, more uF in the filters, a drag. When from 60mA to 200mA there is an appreciable difference already that should satisfy.

For a medium hot-rod, is it wiser to use 10R, 5W resistors like these:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Dale/CW00510R00JE73/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtbXrIkmrvidDdY%2fwKIbxTCSWC3R%252bJEtlA%3d

(is 8.2R, 3W pushing it?) And, to be clear, you'd swap out the four 68R resistors for two (8.2 or) 10R resistors?

Do the MUR120 diodes need to be changed or left as is?

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes you forget the 68R and use one 10R/8.2R per side. 3W will do in both cases. 10R gives less than 200mA in many builds with red LEDs. When the MOSFETs aren't Vgs matched around that current, usually the negative polarity is bit weaker and the next smaller value resistor available balances it out. i.e. different resistors to offset semis tolerances. Not that it matters much for gm difference at those levels, but its nice. MUR120 can hold until 200mA with enough reliability but have them standing bit off board.

Thanks Salas. That was my next question, the MUR120 mounting. I assume something like this:

http://server.ibfriedrich.com/wiki/ibfwikien/images/8/8a/Rstehend3.png

Do you recommend teflon or heat shrinking the exposed lead?

I'm using red LEDs so I guess I'll stick with 10R (if I'm reading your right, or were you saying to use 8.2R).

If I were to use a case like those in the store, would it be safe to mount the MOSFETs to it for disippation or would they each require their own sinks, standing up? Since this is a "medium" hotrod compared to the others with 4x4700uF caps, I was unsure how hot things would get.

I'm doing my best to read all I can and ask all the questions I can think of. There are sooo many DCB1 threads here and elsewhere it's dizzying to keep track of. Thanks for answering the same questions again and again!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That one upright mounting is best for dissipation. If you are not going to mess with probes there and be creating short dangers better not heat-shrink cover the leads so they can radiate to air better.

With 8.2R and red LEDs the builds go closer or bit over 200mA usually with the MOSFETs and LEDS they sell these days.

Yes case mounting will suffice.

The last thing on my build list is a 6-position switch. I have some knobs I'd like to use that are 6mm but it looks like most switches are with a 0.25" (6.35mm) shaft. Could someone verify that this part from Mouser (688-SRRN161100) is an acceptable 2-pole, 6-position selector switch?

SRRN161100 ALPS | Mouser

If I'm reading the data sheet correctly, the shaft is slightly less than 6mm so there should be some wiggle room. Also, I'm not sure what voltage rating these would need to be.

If I've made a bad choice, could someone help me find an acceptable solution (preferably from Mouser)? Many, many thanks in advance.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its a typical switch alright. Its role here is to just close path to ground for the selected input relay coil each time to engage. One side of the switch is to be utilized only i.e. 6 positions and their single exit. Voltage level is very low (5V or 12V) at a few mA that one relay coil draws. The other side is left idle or can be used for tricks like for switching on LEDS signifying active input position.

B1 is a volume control+Buffer that is AC coupled between Source and Receiver.

DCB1 is a volume control+Buffer that is DC coupled between Source and Receiver.

No difference, since somewhere one needs to block DC errors from reaching the speakers.

Thanks Andrew,

which one should I go for? Is the original a simpler build?

Is there a preference if it is being used between valve or SS?