Mezmerize B1 Buffer Preamp

is it possible to "hot rod" thé Mezmerize also?

I wonder as it seems that thé hot rodding really makes difference.

I need atleast 4 different inputs and something that is complete with build guide as a preamp, and thé mezmerize seems to be really good.

Just hoping it's possible to hot rod it too..

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
For down to 8.2R 3W per side setting resistors and circa 200mA will hold for reliability and rectification/filtering capacity as built standard. A 50VA 15+15VAc Tx will suffice. Keep the bridge diodes bit off board for air to can move around them.

In the bom you referensed the b1 build when deciding on the value of the pot.
Now, we have 6 inputs and the simplistic phono will be one that will be connected.
What value do you recommend that fits this and the rest of my stuff (dacs, tuners and cd players)?

Regards

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
P.S. If system gain including speakers sensitivity demands is quiet for a phono source on a Mezmarize then add a good gain cell after the FS phono only or other alike level sources as Andrew said. I have analyzed the expected output levels regarding various settings and carts vs averagely recorded CDs and LPs in more detail at the FS GB thread so for all to know how to plan.

Excuse my laziness but there's a lot of stuff to read on the mezmerize so a quick question will probably save a bit of time.

I have a RAKK DAC 3 with passive transformer-based I/V output stage that includes a switch based shunt attenuator; I've been happily using that with short interconnects with no problem.

I'm now changing to mono power amps that will be located close to the speakers and will need to run interconnects around 3m (10ft) long so need a unity gain buffer stage to drive the cables. The mezmerize seems to fit the bill, other than my not needing the input selector and volume sections. Is that correct, if so I'll do some more reading.

Thanks

Ray

I have a question about some of the items in the BOM. Caps: It states in the main cap section: Electrolytic - Min 35V - 7.5mm Electrolytic - Min 25V - 5mm In the footnotes it states: CAPS : 25V 4700uF caps are for the recommended transformer or up to 2X15VAC. Higher voltage caps won't hurt. Onboard spacing are : 7mm for 4700IF - 5mm for 100IF. If you exceed those values, caps won't fit ! For the 4700 uF caps, is the lead spacing 7mm or 7.5mm? Is the minimum voltage rating 25V or 35V? For the 100 uF caps, is the min voltage rating 25V or 35V? Transistors: BC-560 B or C PNP - TO92 BC-556/7/8/9 Alternatives to BC-560B/C Am I to interpret that I only need one of these transistors? (it's laid out like you need both). Looking at the board, it looks like just one 560? Resistors: 600R or 300R. I use these ONLY if I have the 5V relays? Sorry for the questions, I just want to make sure I place the correct order.