• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

UK: ATC & Scan Ring Radiator Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Always wanted high end drivers but didn't want to pay the boutique prices? Well here's your chance to own some of the finest for silly prices.

1 x Brand new and never used Scan Speak R2904-7000 Ring Radiator

First off I have one of these that is surplus to requirements, originally bought for a planned center speaker that I've now had second thoughts about. Absolute mint condition never used and complete in a Scanspeak presentation box. Beautifully built driver and I use the same in my own reference speakers. Really can't say enough good things about this one.

£125 inc postage (these are around £235 each from wilmslow)

------------------------------------------------------------------

2 x ATC PA75-234 STD 9" drivers

Again another surplus to requirements and were again destined for that never to happen center speaker. These are used and in good condition, perfect sound. I've tested these full range and they extend beautifully upto around 5Khz with a very flat response. High sensitivity at 98dB!

I've only had these on some chipboard open baffles but the sound was wonderful through the upper bass onto the the lower treble. They've got that ATC character, pure and very dynamic, that I absolutely love. Some of the best drivers out IMO.

To put it into perspective I very recently bought 2 x ATC SB75-234 SC drivers direct from ATC at a cost of £250 EACH. These are current models from ATC and they ask £220 EACH.

I must be mad but I got them for a bargain so I'm wanting £75 EACH or £140 for the pair.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Pictures of the ATC's:

d5_1_b.JPG

9a_1_b.JPG

d3_1_b.JPG

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Puggie said:
Sorry for the crossed reply but do you still have the Krell boards, I didn't see a reply on your other thread.

If the ATCs would run nicely down to 100Hz, I'd have them :)

Hi

Sorry for not replying earlier but the Krell PCB's have been sold and I decided to keep 2 out of the 6 for myself just for curiosity reasons.

The ATC's are fine down to 80hz but from there you'll have to cross to a bass driver, preferably 12" or 15". They'll extend 'flat' well upto 5Khz. I've had them on a very crude and rough chipboard baffle in dipole config with no bass driver but crossed to a Visaton horn tweeter. It made for a very dynamic presentation and system efficiency was very high at 98dB. Lovely sound too, very 'alive' with well recorded music, sounded close to what you'd hear at the real venue with jazz music.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Price reduction on the Scan speak R2904-7000:

Haven't had any interest whatsoever on the Scan speak R2904-7000 ring radiator so I'm guessing my price is quite a bit higher than folks want to pay. I'm fed up of tripping up over the box for it so:

Scan Speak R2904-7000 Ring Radiator: £70 (it cost me £235! So absolutely no offers on this price) Its never been used and brand new!

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Puggie said:
how loud will they go at 80Hz? looking at ATC site I thought they were only reccommended down to 250Hz!!

Can you email me at :
w.backhouse@surrey.ac.uk
with a phone number so I can have a chat with you about these.

No problem, it would be much easier to chat over the phone.

I'm at work at the moment but I'll mail you the details when I get home this evening.

PMSL the other half did her pieces when she saw the size of the boxes I wanted for the Volts (BM220.8s which I was going to partner with some Fountec CD3neo ribbons) in the livingroom, those ATCs would really warrant 12" radials as bass units IMHO and that would involve a seperation I think!

I have just ordered a pair of the BM251.4s as I wanted a pair of high efficiency drivers for another project the ATCs would be ideal though, decisions decisions. The scan would go nice with my C-quenzes too as small wife acceptable stand mounts.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I've worked with Volt drivers in the past, excellent manufacturer.

I've used the 10" B2500.1 and the 15" Radial R3863. The only bass mid I've used is the BM220.8.

I only had my first experience of ATC drivers in April this year so I'm a relative newcomer to ATC and already have owned the SM75-150 & now the SM75-150S dome midranges. I recently bought a pair of SB75-234 SC that are phenominal drivers and then I bought the PA75-234 STD that I have on here. The fact that I've owned quite a few in a short space of time suggest that I absolutely love them :)

Personally from my experience with the Volts vs. the ATC's its easy for me to say without question which one of the two manufacturers makes the best drivers ;)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Puggie said:
We have SCM 20ASL, SCM100A and SCM100ASLs here at work so I'm very familiar with ATCs, my only worry was if the PA based drivers have the same kind of sound as the studio based drivers.

Yes the overall sound is similar but with the obvious benefit of the greater sensitivity, 98dB vs. 86dB for the 9" PA and SB drivers respectively. To be fair the studio stuff is lower reaching and seems to have that bit more absolute insight and quality, when you engineer these features in sensitivity does suffer.

From what I've heard of the PA I like the high efficiency sound very much. Everything feels effortless and you can really crank them to quite obscene levels that not even my ATC studio drivers in the Perceive speakers can handle.

I'd keep them myself but its likely I'm getting out of the DIY malarky for a while now that I've finished these. I just don't feel the need to build anything else. These drivers were destined for a center channel but TBH the Perceive's sound better than anything I've had before in 'phantom' mode and the timbre and voicing remains consistant this way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.