• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

WTB: 6 Channels of amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

I'm just in the process of finishing up a set of 3 way speakers that I would like to run active.

Unfortunately all I've got is a single Panasonic XR25 at the moment. I've tried the analog inputs, and it really doesn't do the amp justice so I've nixed that idea.

I'd like to buy 6 channels worth of amplification to run these speakers.

I'm not looking for anything fancy at all, just something that will stand up and sound good.

Anything from 50W up per channel would be fine. Thanks much.

-Steve

I would love to, but, I've got 19 credits of my senior year in computer engineering to finish up, and my senior project to finish in 4 weeks.

It's taken me 2 months just to get all the pieces for the speakers, and get boxes ready to assemble. I might never hear them if I had to build the amps too.

jleaman said:
Why not build a 6 channel gain clone ?

Not everyone wants to build amplifiers. Witness the problems that inexperienced builders have with GCs - smoke is released, they hum, they oscillate, many agonize over pots and where to get suitable cases. And then the builder winds up here on DIY looking for solutions to problems they can't accurately describe.

Considering time, parts and shipping (not to mention aggravation), a GC can easily wind up costing much more than an equivalent commercial amplifier.

Building a GC would be a walk in the park for me but I'd rather plunk down $150 and buy a used GAS Grandson which, I'm sure, performs a lot better than a GC anyway.

Not to suggest that GC building doesn't have an upside. The experience and being able to say you've built it does have some value.

my thoughts exactly.

Even if I were to build 6 channels of GC, I'd definately be over $300 and I doubt that in an active system, and at reasonable volume levels there's not going to be a noticable difference.

Bill, I'm still very interested in the Rotel. I'm looking into a couple more XR series receivers at the moment, just for experimentations sake. I've really been impressed with these receivers and I'd love to take advantage of them.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.