Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

FS: Pair o' ACA 1.8s fully built - 0 shipped CONUS
FS: Pair o' ACA 1.8s fully built - 0 shipped CONUS
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2021, 12:27 AM   #1
6sX7 is offline 6sX7  United States
diyAudio Member

Default FS: Pair o' ACA 1.8s fully built - $500 OBO shipped CONUS

Selling a pair of 1.8 ACAs, fully built. Wiring isn't a work of art but everything works fine. As this is a DIY site, most folks want the experience of building themselves so discounting to $500 for the pair (includes shipping). Time to go fund my next project. US sales only. Decent offers considered. Tanks for lookin'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3732.jpg (685.6 KB, 395 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3734.jpg (862.9 KB, 388 views)

Last edited by 6sX7; 23rd September 2021 at 04:15 AM.
Old 24th September 2021, 09:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

bump. asking $500 OBO.
Old 26th September 2021, 02:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

bump and price drop, $450 for the pair.
Old 26th September 2021, 06:49 PM   #4
Mikerodrig27 is offline Mikerodrig27  United States
diyAudio Member

This is a nice pair of amps. I am surprised no one has picked them up yet. You built the F6 monoblocks right?

Best of luck with the sale!
Old 26th September 2021, 07:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

thanks for the well wishes. They'll move, utmost confidence when the right person sees them.

I've got the F6s done and enjoying them but the F5 boards + parts kit shows up tomorrow. Going to see what happens with a bit better damping factor. From there, it will be a F5 Turbo for more power or balanced F5s. I'm finally at that point with this hobby, I know enough to tailor the system to my expectations. Going got good!
Old 26th September 2021, 08:00 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Pretty cool. I am working on a BA2018 now. I am having a issue with the SMDs. I bought a bunch from Mouser to make sure I had the opportunity to try it again and again... Lol

Good to hear about your progress. I thought I remember Nelson Pass saying that he has something in the grapevine that stems off of the F5 design. He seems to particularly like that design.

I want to either build another F6 amp and run two monoblocks or try have different designs etc. A mixed bag of options. That will come later though. I think my next project after the BA2018 will be another set of speakers.

I thought I remember that running balanced F5 changes the harmonic distortion characteristics.
Old 26th September 2021, 08:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

It has been odd, with my sudden acceptance of transistors. It has opened up a whole new area of the audio world to explore and there is no concern about blowing expensive tubes or transformers. Like you said, order a bunch of FETs or other output devices for pennies on the vacuum tube dollars and much easier to swallow the bill that goes with learning.

What I thought I understood, the balanced mode would reduce all noise but I seem to recall Nelson Pass, Z-M and others posting about reducing the even order harmonics much more prominently than the odd order. I'm also unsure how that works if there are two separate power supplies in each monoblock. I have a guess that I won't get the full benefit as speaker + and - won't have the same V+/- noise summed to cancel. The amount of spookiness I experienced with the ACAs in balanced mode got me going down this rabbit hole so we'll see where it goes. Somewhere here, my Pops is supposed to send me an o-scope so I can actually see how this all works out on the screen.

If you're not in a hurry, I may have some F6 parts posted up here later. Need to get the F5 boards stuffed and installed to make a decision. I actually have 4 channels of F6 stuff laying about. Started on balanced F6s before realizing the output impedance wasn't favorable.
Old 26th September 2021, 08:41 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes, getting rid of even order harmonics sounds like a good thing. I don't know much about monoblock F5's

Send me a PM if you plan to sell the F6 boards. The F6 is my favorite amp that I have heard so far. However, it is the only Firstwatt/Firstwatt Clone amp that I have heard.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 27th September 2021, 02:42 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

the even order harmonics give it that tube sound. Or as Zen Mod says, "the sugar".

Odd order harmonics tend to make the amp sound "harsher."

Balanced mode has the benefit common mode noise rejection. I thought it brought down all harmonic distortion equally but what I've read from Mr. Pass is that, while it does bring down all distortion, it affects the 2nd order harmonics the most. My limited experience (since balanced tube amplifiers have been beyond my budget) is with the ACAs in balanced mode. I found them to completely disappear and the recording was just "there". However, with the ACAs output impedance, they aren't a good match on the Halcyons. Bass loses control and gets boomy and woolly. This all sparked the attempt at building a 1st Watt clone as balanced monsterblocks.

The F5 parts show up tomorrow. The plan is to get them running by the weekend and make a decision on all the F6 parts. Will let you know.
Old 27th September 2021, 03:54 AM   #10
Allan is online now Allan  Australia
diyAudio Member

6sX7

"balanced" F5 monoblocks w/- two seperate power supplies per monoblock.. WoW! Thats a serious contender category

I didn't need to read that cause I'm only waiting for heatsinks to build my F5 SE stereo. I hate you!

Last edited by Allan; 27th September 2021 at 04:02 AM.

FS: Pair o' ACA 1.8s fully built - 0 shipped CONUSHide this!Advertise here!