• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

F2- F2J clone PCB and PS boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I am getting few PMs for these amp boards. I also may need to order one for myself.
Like I mentioned in different places ,these boards I made before are well suited for DIY audio store chassis and heatsinks of 4U size. They run warm on these heatsinks and not hot.You can add exotic output caps to them with added pins . my PCBs were bought and made by many members before. Never heard any complaints.
As a bonus first few may get some JFEts.
I have some unmatched R125 JFEts that I can sell with the boards. F2J do not need matched JFEts. I made the amp with both matched and unmatched JFEts never felt any difference.
If some one who can take the responsibility in US ,I can send them all the boards and parts for overseas shipping.
I can not however share gerbers with anyone.
I can not unfortunately take the responsibility of shipping overseas.
Please express your interest and if there is enough we can order some.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
For anyone interested in the F2/F2J this is a great opportunity.

Kinku set me up with boards and some Semisouth a while back.

The boards are great.

My F2J monoblocks went together and fired up without a hitch.

Attachments

• B7BC54F4-FDDF-475E-9867-3558CCB0CE91.jpg
    B7BC54F4-FDDF-475E-9867-3558CCB0CE91.jpg
    938.9 KB · Views: 267
  • 1EE6EFFE-01E9-4BED-8F88-1C34A776A02D.jpeg
    1EE6EFFE-01E9-4BED-8F88-1C34A776A02D.jpeg
    804.7 KB · Views: 257
  • C9C64278-9E94-4443-938C-7C976001F282.jpg
    C9C64278-9E94-4443-938C-7C976001F282.jpg
    822.6 KB · Views: 250
  • A134AE4A-55BE-455D-BF11-CF0F262E8549.jpg
    A134AE4A-55BE-455D-BF11-CF0F262E8549.jpg
    596.4 KB · Views: 251
kinku:

This looks interesting! Do you have the pricing worked out?

Regards,
Scott

Scott,
I will look into it depending on the interest and number of people signing up. More boards less price. I am busy otherwise and started looking for the boards as I have to repair my old F2J as I recently mentioned in a post.
Over the past three months I got few emails asking for boards too. So I thought I will have another run to save the shipping cost.i will keep a board in case something happens to them during repair.
As I mentioned in my initial posts these runs can not be huge ( maybe 10 -15sets the most) as that will be unfair and I won’t do it. At the end it is the generosity of Papa and do not want to misuse it by making a huge profit from his design.
With the JFETs which is becoming harder and harder to find this will be your opportunity to get some last pieces.
Believe me they sound good , even with Mosfets ( F2). People spend much more money for class A designs and here is an amp with pure class A performance.
It won’t rock your party that’s the only issue.
Hope it make sense.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Hi Kinku

Happy to help.

I love these amps.

They are remarkably quiet with high sensitivity drivers and provide a beautiful effortless neutral feel to my system. They can sing at considerably enthusiastic levels with the right speakers. Wonderful with Jazz, Swing, Blues, Classical Chamber, Downtempo and more.

I built them specifically for use with my Oris front horns which I have tried Fostex 206E, Tang Band W8-1808 and Lowther DX3 with.

Unfortunately, my horns were recently knocked over and damaged...so I took them down and put them in storage until I decide what to do with them.

I do have another pair of unfinished Oris horns that I intend to try using in a multiway horn system for mid bass in conjunction with an Edgar salad bowl midrange horn.

Papa said these amps are wonderful with compression drivers and I want to try them with some Radian and Dynaudio drivers in the Edgars.

I may actually rebuild my monoblocks into a pair of stereo F2J to use for the midrange and a Fostex T90A.

Right now I am using my them with with some OB speakers I put together with Tang Band W8-1808 and AE Dipole 15.

They sound different because I’m not getting as much beaming as I was in the horns.

The sound stage is very broad and materializes beautifully. They’re very different from the detail and focus I get with the Oris/Lowther combination...but still no less enjoyable.

Hi Kinku

Happy to help.

I love these amps.

They are remarkably quiet with high sensitivity drivers and provide a beautiful effortless neutral feel to my system. They can sing at considerably enthusiastic levels with the right speakers. Wonderful with Jazz, Swing, Blues, Classical Chamber, Downtempo and more.

I built them specifically for use with my Oris front horns which I have tried Fostex 206E, Tang Band W8-1808 and Lowther DX3 with.

Unfortunately, my horns were recently knocked over and damaged...so I took them down and put them in storage until I decide what to do with them.

I do have another pair of unfinished Oris horns that I intend to try using in a multiway horn system for mid bass in conjunction with an Edgar salad bowl midrange horn.

Papa said these amps are wonderful with compression drivers and I want to try them with some Radian and Dynaudio drivers in the Edgars.

I may actually rebuild my monoblocks into a pair of stereo F2J to use for the midrange and a Fostex T90A.

Right now I am using my them with with some OB speakers I put together with Tang Band W8-1808 and AE Dipole 15.

They sound different because I’m not getting as much beaming as I was in the horns.

The sound stage is very broad and materializes beautifully. They’re very different from the detail and focus I get with the Oris/Lowther combination...but still no less enjoyable.

Interesting. I want this amp to drive JBL 2450SL CD 16 ohms in biradial horns plus a Fostex 925A tweeters.

Hi Kinku

Happy to help.

I love these amps.

Yes, I made the boards with a friend who designs microwave PCB for sophisticated applications. I wanted him to make another one but he is into AI now and left everything else.So as long as you are not positioning them to cut flux lines from a transformer it should stay very quiet. Ideally it should be mounted in such a way that underside shielded by heatsink surface.
Also I mentioned in the build thread, and in Firstwatt pages their distortion spectrum is similar to a tube amp. If you want to add some color to it ,bias them at higher voltage above the midpoint, like if it is 24VDCsupply, bias at 13V.
Their output power is low but it is made for high efficiency drivers. Those who are happy with such systems won’t look for another amp ( in Solid state amps)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.