Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Greg Ball GB150 based Class A amplifier boards and power supplies.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2019, 08:13 PM   #1
Tony D. is offline Tony D.
diyAudio Member

Default Greg Ball GB150 based Class A amplifier boards and power supplies.

Greg custom built these Class A boards for me a few years ago. I had planned to use them to drive an open baffle project but we moved into a town house, that project was abandoned and I put the boards in a closet. I was looking for some bits yesterday and I found the boards/power supplies and thought someone might be able to use them. One power supply is assembled and one is not.

$100 USD plus shipping from V9P 1B5.

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SKA.jpg (370.0 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg SKA3.jpg (381.9 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by Tony D.; 9th October 2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 9th October 2019, 09:53 PM   #2
cliffforrest is online now cliffforrest  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

To avoid future problems for you and a buyer, please note that these amps are NOT class A!

I have a pair and they are very good; low noise, low distortion and sound great. But they are biased in normal class B, if with a relatively high Iq.
Old 9th October 2019, 10:16 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Okay, but at the time I ordered them I requested that Greg assemble them as Class A output and he assured me that they were.
Old 9th October 2019, 10:58 PM   #4
cliffforrest is online now cliffforrest  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I don't want to rain on your parade in the least, but heat-sinking for class A (what power output and rail voltages?) is a major problem with just a pair of lateral mosfets on such a small assembly.
Old 9th October 2019, 11:02 PM   #5
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I remember there were discussions on his forum about operating his amplifier in class a and a number of experimenters increased the bias and by using larger heat sinks were able to operate in class A. I think whoever buys these modules is likely to be somebody who has enough experience to work out those details. They can also be rebiassed to aB.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 9th October 2019, 11:59 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
I remember there were discussions on his forum about operating his amplifier in class a and a number of experimenters increased the bias and by using larger heat sinks were able to operate in class A. I think whoever buys these modules is likely to be somebody who has enough experience to work out those details. They can also be rebiassed to aB.
Thank you for that clarification Bigun. Chapeau.
Old 10th October 2019, 12:23 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Sold to Vlad.

Thanks DIYAudio.
Old 10th October 2019, 09:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Packed and shipped today. i like pack as if the handling will be done by King Kong...because some times it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GB.jpg (399.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg GB2.jpg (392.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg GB3.jpg (331.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg GB4.jpg (284.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg GB5.jpg (332.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg GB6.jpg (390.0 KB, 13 views)

Greg Ball GB150 based Class A amplifier boards and power supplies.Hide this!Advertise here!