• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Threshold S/500 project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm determined to clear the shelves of projects that I am never going to make happen...

500 bux OBO

Here's a Threshold S/500 85-pound, 250WPC solid state amplifier that needs your caring touch.

Several years ago I bought this from a guy who took it to the UPS store for packing and shipping, and here's what the idiots did: They wrapped the amp in lots of bubble wrap, then put the amp in the box that the bubble wrap came in. Bubble-wrap box had something like a 20-pound burst rating. Needless to say, the amp got damaged in shipping. All the feet broke off and the top of the rear heat sinks bent. (See photos.)

The guy I bought the amp from said he'd recently replaced the big cans with what was recommended by Threshold. (Not sure what that means, but when I asked him to elaborate, he went silent.) He seems to have also done a real crappy paint job on the top cover with a paint brush (?!?!?) and some black paint.

Amp didn't work when it arrived. Still doesn't.

I took it to my friend and master tech Herb Ward. He said this, " A clueless previous owner or incompetent technician thought to upgrade this unit by installing a new set of power supply capacitors. The parts installed have a LOWER working voltage that the power supply requires. 3 of the 4 large blue caps overheated and capacitor electrolyte boiled out of the safety vents. what a sad end for these expensive cans. The driver boards are a burnt mess but interestingly I do not think any of the outputs failed. Nelson Pass sanded off all the markings on the transistors but I believe they are the complimentary pairs 2SB600 and 2SD555 made by NEC. Transformer is good."

Faceplate is in decent condition. Some scratches to the top of a handle, but you could just reverse the handle, right? A couple of the top-cover screws are stripped.

So...this is a project for one of you skilled AK techies who have always wanted a powerful Threshold amp.

I would love it if you would pick up this amp in Bethel, CT, zip 06801, but I can ship it on your dime. Figure a 24 X 24 X 14 box that weight 100 pounds.

Next Friday (July 26) I will be driving from Bethel, CT to Pittsburh NH (not PA) and could meet up along the way somewhere to hand off this beast. Two hands or more, definitely.

Make me an offer. I might just accept it...

Stay cool.

Thanks

Last edited:
Really bad story.
I have a similar story with the UPS packing service. Might be off topic but I think everybody should know about this service. I’m sorry to say this but they seem to employ only, let’s say less motivated people.
I’m also active in the field of precision measurements and I was really crazy volt nut. I won two auctions in eBay for the ultra stable Fluke 732A DC Reference Standard for a very good price. The seller was super friendly and after short time they arrived here in Cologne Germany. I was a bit confused when I received them as the the package were very small. After opening them, I became almost a psychotic attack. The guys from the UPS packing service, used old (at least used two times before for shipments from east to west coast, you could still see the old shipping labels) cardboard boxes that had exactly the measurements of the reference standards. For the packers this was a dream, just put the reference standard in each box, close it and put a bit of tape on them.
As you can imagine they arrived in a very bad optical and technical condition. All front contacts were broken or bent. These are all special and expensive pure copper connectors, because precision DC measurements require Low Thermal EMF connections. The rest of the enclosure was heavily dented, all feeds were broken off. A real disaster. But Fluke built these units like little Tanks, isolated from the out side. After careful inspection of the power supply and battery loader circuit including changing the backup batteries, we powered them up and they both were working perfectly, after heating up and two days of stabilization time, we started the measurements and everything thing was up to spec.
Of course I told this story the seller to just warn her, to never use again UPS packing service. I didn’t asked for a refund but she was so shocked that she insisted for a almost full refund of both units.

I can’t see any pictures. Can you send them also to me? I will send you an email, maybe I have a relative who can pick

Kind Regards

Phil

I think pix uploaded this time...

Attachments

• IMG_3039.jpg
    IMG_3039.jpg
    992.1 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_3040.jpg
    IMG_3040.jpg
    989 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_3041.jpg
    IMG_3041.jpg
    986.5 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_3042.jpg
    IMG_3042.jpg
    982.6 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_3043.jpg
    IMG_3043.jpg
    709.5 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_3044.jpg
    IMG_3044.jpg
    960 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_3045.jpg
    IMG_3045.jpg
    996.9 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_3046.jpg
    IMG_3046.jpg
    692.9 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_3047.jpg
    IMG_3047.jpg
    786.6 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_3048.jpg
    IMG_3048.jpg
    976.1 KB · Views: 182
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.