• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hygeia Electron Co. - AMT's and Planar Ribbon tweeters

Yes, I can sell you the RT-50021's, but pricing has increased due to them now having modified diaphragms that reduce distortion even further without affecting freq response. In a USPS medium flat rate box, they would be $216 shipped. I will post graphs of distortion reduction in an hour or so. That way you can decide if you still want them.

Yes, I do this myself, and I had to ruin about 4 or 5 diaphragms to arrive at my current iteration, so it was kinda costly, but it was worth it IMO.

Here are some charts that tell the story of how I was trying to tame the distortion caused by a resonance I measured, thus leading to these modifications:
uc

Overall, I liked the "lesser" modification the best, so that is what I went with.

ok can I get a pair of the 4001 then? lol

I don't have any more 4001's, sorry.

If my price is too high for the modified RT-50021's, I can still sell you a bone-stock pair for $174.95 + $16 for USPS medium flat rate shipping. If you don't plan on horn-loading them and keeping them above 2,5 kHz the stock ones are still amazing. Once you try to get away with sub-2000Hz output is really when the modification really shines. Let me know.

Last edited:
Modifications to the RT-20051's also yielded improvements. The large distortion spike from my initial measurements I have not been able to duplicate, and I always sensed it was an anomaly, and has not reappeared since. Perhaps a weird reflection or electronics interference at the time.

Both 2nd and 3rd order harmonic distortion are reduced.

uc

Did I mention these respond awesomely to horn-loading?

They are really great units! I sold all of them, you got the last pair, but I wish I had kept a pair for myself! Oh well, maybe later I will order more when the US Customs tariffs decrease.

I am thinking about ordering a batch of these, direct from Hygeia.

Did you use any kind of escrow when you bought them? Or PayPal?

The idea of wiring them enough money to buy a used car kinda gives me a bad feeling, I don't want to get scammed.

They do not accept PayPal. They only accept direct wire transfers. I had my doubts too, because with a wire transfer there is little to no recourse should something not go as planned, but they did gain my trust because I had done a smaller order with them previously and they always answered emails, even if it took a couple days. They even keep me posted on some new driver offerings that they are producing every now and then.

Keep in mind right now there is a huge 25% tariff that you will pay to US Customs that wasn't there previously when I made my last order. Make sure the Customs invoice separates the cost of the goods and the cost of the freight. That way US Customs bills you the correct amount based on the goods value only, not the freight.

Ahhhh, that explains a lot.

I've generally been buying the RT-5002s from Canada, because the strong US dollar gives us a discount.

I paid $92.50 for my RT-5002s from Solen, due to the strong dollar. (They've since raised their price, so that it has parity with the US distributor.)

The prices from buying direct from Hygeia seemed impossibly low, which made me wonder if it was a scam.

But once you factor in that tariff... ouch!

I've noticed that some drivers that were built 5-10 years ago are relatively affordable now, because they were manufactured before inflation hit the fan, and some distributors haven't raised the prices to compensate. For instance, the Hi-Vi ribbons were relatively expensive 15 years ago, and now they're some of the most affordable ribbons you can buy. My hunch is that Parts Express is probably sitting on a pile of them that were manufactured ages ago, when everything was cheaper.

Yea, when I bought the last batch, the 25% tariff wasn't there. I remember paying a US Customs bill, but definitely not 25% of my goods value. I realized about the increased tariff when I ordered some welding supplies from a manufacturer in China about 10 months ago and received the US Customs bill from DHL when it arrived to the US port. Wasn't happy about it, but I had no choice but to pay it to have my stuff delivered.