• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Babelfish M25 , AKA M2 on steroids , AKA M2-XA25 bstrd - kit packages

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Presenting thread HERE

Schematic and pcb screenshot post #2 , plenty o pictures after .

Reading entire thread is advisable , same as inquiring any technical question there : Be sure that you are aware of all things electrical and mechanical !

Pcbs are not made for UMS (don't care, don't want) , mounting either on 30mmx50mm L bracket , or directly to heatsink (will show you how) , where even two bolts through mosfets are enough to hold entire shebang in place. Do not hurry - read , think , ask and only when you feel that you want it and can make it , proceed ...... advice which I'm finding applicable on practically anything :)

For anything else , write either here , send PM or directly to >zenmodiyaudio@gmail.com<

Prices are mostly dictated with small scale nature of operation (as always is case) and time/work involved in matching and soldering little buggers.

For ordering , contact me at above written e-mail addy .

Kit options :

• LCH pcb ,
  • RCH pcb ,
  • all smd buffer JFets presoldered ,
  • Hall current sensing chips presoldered ,
  • surrounding smd caps presoldered ,
  • 4pcs of 1uF MKC caps (for critical signal position) enclosed.

Full price , including Paypal fee and P&P for registered shipping all around the Globe - 130E

• LCH pcb ,
  • RCH pcb ,
  • all smd buffer JFets presoldered ,
  • Hall current sensing chips presoldered ,
  • surrounding smd caps presoldered ,
  • 2pcs of 1uF MKC caps (for critical signal position) enclosed.
-all multiturn trimpots
-output mosfets , 4 pcs , (I'm working on availability of Harris 9240 , but I like Vishay there)
-voltage regs
-cascode bjts
-optocouplers
-all electrolytic caps (Pana , working on availability of Silmic II for 1 position)
-one-pin sockets for special resistor positions
-all (MF 600mW) resistors

to recapitulate - everything what goes on pcbs , excluding signal xformers and pcb/mosfet mounting screws/nuts/washers

Full price , including Paypal fee and P&P for registered shipping all around the Globe - 185E

If I have everything in drawers in moment of order , can ship in 3-5 days ;
If I don't have any of normal parts in drawer , shipping could be delayed up to 3 days;
If I don't have pcbs in drawer , shipping could be delayed up to 7 days;
If I don't have most critical part for getting in my neck of wood - ACS Hall chips , shipping could be delayed up to 3 weeks.

edit , few days later - no Harris IRFP9240 , but resorted to Infineon IRFP9140

EDIT: final iteration of pcbs matched to DiyAudio UMS , final schm and pcb sshot posted in #118, Babelfish M25 , AKA M2 on steroids , AKA M2-XA25 bstrd

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks, been waiting. Would like Harris mosfets if possible, otherwise I have extra set from TEABAG for his M2 kit. Those kits are one IRF and one Harris, one that has measurement oddity, which I really never noticed.

I would like all Harris just for better sleep purposes.

Any future chance of smaller daughter board to convert existing M2 clones to berserk unconstipated M25?

Advise,

Russellc

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Russel - that could be too complicated

observe changed optocoupler type , and - considering what I did to optimize power routes on pcb , adding any daughter board to (any) existing pcb would result in less than optimal final package ..... simply , too much to change in existing M2 , too many traces to cut and too many small wires to route ;

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ill bite ZM :)
Let me know when you feel you are ready with package #2 with Harris 9240 and Silmic II.

Best regards
Kjartan

Waiting for answer from my regular vendors about non-Vishay . Though - as I said , I like Vishay in that position ..... not trying to make surgical instrument , I'm more for Pleasure Devices :)

Verdict - will not invest insane amount of energy and resources in that issue , which is non-issue for me .

Silmic II , pretty much solved .

Quantity of Hall chips ordered , will get them as soon I'm back from Mountain

:)

edit: to paraphrase Russell - all Vishay ....... is for sweeter sleep purposes

:rofl:

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Russel - that could be too complicated

observe changed optocoupler type , and - considering what I did to optimize power routes on pcb , adding any daughter board to (any) existing pcb would result in less than optimal final package ..... simply , too much to change in existing M2 , too many traces to cut and too many small wires to route ;

I figured as much. Well when all is ready with Similic and Harris, I'm good to go, or as stated with Tea's outputs.

Russellc

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
in this moment , I have information that Harris is possible , but not exactly fully trustworthy source

will finally know tomorrow ;

anyway , one thing - why I'm so relaxed regarding Harris or no issue - this is source follower , where that problem is much lesser than in case of F5 , for instance

(common drain vs. common source , variable capacitance is not exactly same variable in different arrangements)

so , no biggie

in this moment , I have information that Harris is possible , but not exactly fully trustworthy source

will finally know tomorrow ;

anyway , one thing - why I'm so relaxed regarding Harris or no issue - this is source follower , where that problem is much lesser than in case of F5 , for instance

(common drain vs. common source , variable capacitance is not exactly same variable in different arrangements)

so , no biggie
I believe you and can live without Harris :)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
as I just wrote in one e-mail reply :

Sadly ( or not :) ) , no Harris ; not trustworthy purchase possible , so I'll skip

as I said - not so important in source follower arrangement and , besides that , I like some lush Vishays are giving , even if that's really hard to hear

well , old .... fart .... geezer ..... ears .....

:clown:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
base package is the same for both amps (Babelfish M25 and SissySIT) - input buffer , Hall chips , pcb

difference between two amps is peanuts parts - few resistors , few small diodes , so bloody trivial parts , regarding availability

and yes - SissySIT is , obviously , having THF51-S instead of IRFP240 :clown:

so , pcb already edited to accommodate few diodes more , and result is that every Greedy Boy who already ordered Babelfish M25 package , will receive package for Babelfish M25 , which will be perfectly happy to became SissySIT instead

if Greedy Boy is interested to have both options in future, all he need is to contact me (no hurry , at least no hurry before 25. of this month, while I'm still fro few days more in Highlander mod) and I'll gladly toss in envelope these few parts making difference

no need for extra payment (and why there should be ?)

edit: hope that I'm clear - you're bringing your own input xformers and THF51-S :clown:

Last edited:
Thanks ZM, had to remind my self what I hate about the NOS Valve/Tube race. Sky high prices, lots of fakes, or old tubes that have been extensively used sold as new in box, hyped prestation reports, etc.
NOS *Fets are in the same category, wont go there, so with regard to M25 Berserk - Ill be happy with optainable current producton fets :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.