• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Muses Volume

I just finished mine.
Works perfectly with remote and LED display.
I don't use galvanic isolation for the display, and I don't hear any interference.
I like what I hear :)
The documentation, the PCBs and the firmware is perfect.
I enjoyed to built it.
Thanks Meldano.

The display causes a silent but audible interference noise.
The isolator is recommended, sorry.

New batch arrived today.
I will ship them to the end of this week.

Attachments

• 4BC13148-C88A-4D9C-A23F-9F44447BD7DC.jpeg
    4BC13148-C88A-4D9C-A23F-9F44447BD7DC.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 1,195
Muses Volume Control BOM

I created a BOM for the Muses Volume Control board. It has Mouser part numbers and the manufacturer's part numbers so you can order from wherever you like.

It's an Excel file (which this forum doesn't support) so you need to rename the .txt to .xls in order to read it. Right-click then save target as and change it before you save it.

It includes the optional display and IF sensor. It's important to note if you wish to use the display you will need an external +5vdc supply as the onboard regulator simply cannot reliably supply enough current to run the volume control and the display.

Good luck!

TJ

Attachments

• Muses Volume Cotrol BOM.txt
    32 KB · Views: 308
It's important to note if you wish to use the display you will need an external +5vdc supply as the onboard regulator simply cannot reliably supply enough current to run the volume control and the display.

Good luck!

TJ

Oh - this is interesting, I have all functionality except that I have not been able to link a remote through the IR = never thought that it might be a voltage supply issue.

the muses volume control sounds excellent and the display is useful to gauge how much attenuation is active.

I have two minor suggestions:
1: (Controller board) The LDO or voltage reg. needs an input cap close to input terminal. This cap should have a capacitance value equal to or larger than the
output capacitor for performance applications.
Fortunately it is easy to install to the board, see pics. I do not remember the package size, maybe it is 1206... fits perfectly.
I tested two different LDOs in this application with and without the additional cap, and without the cap both were oscillated.

2: (Muses board) I think there is a mistake, see pic.
It is easy the cut the trace between C3 and R4 and you can use a little wire to connect c3 the other side (gnd) of the r4.

Attachments

• 5V_Stab.png
    5V_Stab.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 909
  • IMG_20190313_160822_LI.jpg
    IMG_20190313_160822_LI.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 885
  • Muses_D_VDD.png
    Muses_D_VDD.png
    148.7 KB · Views: 907
Oh - this is interesting, I have all functionality except that I have not been able to link a remote through the IR = never thought that it might be a voltage supply issue.

I don't know if that could be the cause but the on-board regulator is rated at 100ma and the display alone can absorb more than that. It may "work" like that but I'm not taking the chance. The PDF mentions the type of remote codes it understands. Maybe try a different remote?

rookakoma: Nice find! I looked at that scheme 100 times and never noticed. :magnify: I never experienced the oscillation but I used an external supply from the start, although I did mount the on-board for possible future needs. Thanks for the tips! I see you have the IR sensor attached, did you have any troubles getting a remote working as some others have? I haven't tried yet.

Francois G: You need the 2 PCBs (volume and controller) for stereo and the programmed controller chip. I think Meldano said the shipping had gone up or something when I purchased them. The whole set was $60 something (USA), that includes shipping.

TJ