• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Altec...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair or 15" Altec 420a BiFlex woofers and a pair of 811b horns. Asking $300 for all plus shipping from BC.

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• 811b.jpg
    811b.jpg
    701.7 KB · Views: 525
  • 420a.jpg
    420a.jpg
    905.8 KB · Views: 518
That's an interesting driver, I wondered what bi-flex meant, and found this:

It has same basket as the bass drivers with 15 inch cast frame and Alnico V magnet, but the paper cone is divided into two, connected by specially selected suspension. It is like a 20 cm midrange glued to the circular remains of a bass driver. At frequencies around 100 Hz the mechanical coupling allows the surrounding bass part to start moving. Above that - the surround is too heavy and behaves like a frame. Very clever, inn'it? I think someone called this a "mechanical crossover".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.