• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: Aleph amplifier main boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Brian,

I was surfing the "Trading Post" this morning and I saw your old thread here.
Well, it's August! How is your plan in regards to organizing another round of board purchasing?
Before I forget, I would like to make some suggestions on some minor changes to the existing board if possible.

- bigger mounting holes.
- bigger G, D, S, s holes so that it'll fit at least #16 wires.
- wider pin spacing for the Q1, Q2 & Q3.
- bigger V+, V- , GND holes to fit at least #12 wires.
- make provision for addding those "connectors" on the board for those of us that would like to screw the wires to the board instead of soldering. I mentioned this before to the effect that it's easier to swap boards and do troubleshooting if problem arises.

Don't get me wrong. The existing board works perfectly but if you can do the above, it would be great! Thanks.

And in regards to matched output transistors, in addition to use it on Aleph 2, how about matched sets for Aleph 5 too since this amp is also a very popular one to built right now.

Oh, also, are you going to consider designing the rectifier boards (for those of us that would like to use soft recovery diodes) and output boards (two version: one with 3 transistors per board and the other 6 transistors per board)?

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
(had a long reply.. but interconnection failed...)

I have a new version of the layout made with thicker traces throughout, spacing for terminal block connectors, and fixed transistor spacing.

The problem is finding a place without a high setup charge. The current place has a $200 setup charge per board, which makes the price way too high for low volume orders. If I can find a place with a low setup charge, I can get a bunch of boards made. The alephpcb layout was my first layout and I have learned a lot about pcb layout since then. I have thought of ways to make the layout better.

I am also looking for a place to get my Leach amp pcbs made: http://brian.darg.net/leachamppcb

I can get boards prototyped at school here, but they are thin, and only really good for checking component layout and spacing.

For power cords, Home Depot has 10ga 3 conductor power cords with thick rubber insulation on the outside for $0.82 a foot, and wall connectors are around $6 for a decent one. I am considering just skipping the iec connector and wiring the power cord straight into my amplifier. The only drawback to this is having to lug around a power cord with the amp, but a connector should help a lot.

I can post some pictures later, once I am moved into my new place and can find my digital camera.

--
Brian

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hi Brian,

Welcome back state-side. Hope Europe was good for you.

WRT the improvments you've made to the design of the Aleph boards, are they just convience and spacing improvments, or are there performance gains available from your new design? I've become particularly interested in the noise issues.

Thanks,
Rodd Yamas***a

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Rodd,

I love how it censors your last name.

For the aleph boards, the current revised design just has fattened traces and spacings for connectors.

My idea for another version would include a ground plane. Another option could be to move to double sided and have shorter traces overall and smaller boards.

I am heading up to visit my parents today for a week and a half, so I won't be around much until I get back.

--
Brian

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Bill,

I'd be interested in a set of output boards. I'm planning on doing an Aleph 3/5 first, but I'll do that output section P-to-P. I would like to have these outputs for an Aleph 2 further down the road. I'd love to put an Aleph on the mid-bass one day.

Anyway Bill, let me know if I'm in and I'll send an email.

I'm getting there.
Rodd Yamas***a

roddy:
<blockquote>
You can be in. Just send me an email so I can file your interest.
</blockquote>

others:
<blockquote>
I do wan't to mention that the last time I offered these I got 9 emails expressing interest. When I replied to the mails to confirm, I got 0 responses. Needless to say, I'd prefer that this doesn't happen again.
</blockquote>

Bill,
What would be the cut off date?
I ask because we don't want to wait 6 months for you to gather 4 people and then proceed with the making. No offense.
I suggest cut off date is 4 weeks from today. From what I've read in this forum, a lot of people are building Aleph 2 & 5.

fcel said:
Bill,
What would be the cut off date?
I ask because we don't want to wait 6 months for you to gather 4 people and then proceed with the making. No offense.
I suggest cut off date is 4 weeks from today. From what I've read in this forum, a lot of people are building Aleph 2 & 5.

If I can't get a commitment for at least 4 sets of boards within a week, I'll let everyone that's emailed me know that it's no go.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.